Exterior Roof mount a/c or fix heron 2.2

snitzel

Jan 13, 2017
Mandurah Wa
Gday all, recently bought 09 16.49-40 OB with 2 issues to start with. The heron2.2 a/c needs a new compressor which ive been quoted $700 for compressor only (anyone know cheaper source?) so for an extra $1000 maybe was thinking rip out the split and install roof mount (type and source?).Im a sparky so install meself , anyone done similar? Do ya know where to get roof layout drawing and if the 2009 has supports inbuilt for A/C?
Another issue is walls in ensuite are badly cracked , bunnings has wet area panelling or was thinking ali sheet like metaline. Or has anyone used something like contact(old school book covering)
Any tips , experiences would be much appreciated. Also anyone with a good setup for internet(need to keep missus working while I take young bloke fishing) in rural WA for starters, hoping not have to go satellite, 2 yagi antennas in mimo to a Telstra hotspot??PM me maybe

cheers Jason

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Will let others come back on aircon and shower cracks, but on the internet there are a few options.

I have a manual point Yagi with a 6m carbon fibre mast which has been good at dragging in 3G signal where you wouldn't normally find it, however it's 850MHz, so over time as carriers repourpose their 700MHz band and use 1900 & 2100 it's going to be a bit more problematic.

You can look at things like the Balconi tracker. It's an auto point dual Yagi. It uses GPS location to auto point to the nearest tower. Works well but sometime the signal is stronger when reflected off a mountain or cliff so not always 100% effective and very expensive. http://www.balconi.com.au/BalconiTrackerBrochureRev12_04Feb15.pdf

And then there is always satellite, which is obviously the most expensive option.

For internet access you can rule out Iridium (until 2019 when their new constellation is up and running anyhow), which leaves Inmarsat, very good, but expensive, or Thuraya.

The thuraya sat is North of Australia so no so great in Southern Vic or Tassie but ok most other places.

They have some reasonable sat plans because they are trying to sell excess capacity, but even so, sat is always going to cost you big bucks.

Check out the Thuraya costs from Pivotel, and these are reasonable in satellite terms.

http://www.pivotel.com.au/thuraya_ip_rate_plans.php

Reactions: Dobbie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I cannot help with shower and or Internet
nore really with the Herron - I had a roof one fitted at new

Gday all, recently bought 09 16.49-40 OB with 2 issues to start with. The heron2.2 a/c needs a new compressor which ive been quoted $700 for compressor only (anyone know cheaper source?) so for an extra $1000 maybe was thinking rip out the split and install roof mount (type and source?).Im a sparky so install meself , anyone done similar? Do ya know where to get roof layout drawing and if the 2009 has supports inbuilt for A/C?

I know a couple of years ago, I wanted a roof top aircon in my Flamingo,
well..........

unless the roof was made specifically for a roof top aircon, it will not have the steel "H" structure inbuilt to hold the weight
(looks more like a ladder really)
you can fit it on the outside (as per old old days of caravans, but its ugly as, and a biatch to secure to the roof)
plus the wiring is all ran inside the roof

now
depending on just how handy you are, and not triple thumbed like me, re-building the roof to suit may be the answer
have a look at this thread about rebuilding the whole Van - maybe give you some tips to help you

any thing and everything can be done - the limits are our time and abilities
and wallets

thumbs up.png

Reactions: dagree and Dobbie

snitzel

Jan 13, 2017
Mandurah Wa
Will let others come back on aircon and shower cracks, but on the internet there are a few options.

I have a manual point Yagi with a 6m carbon fibre mast which has been good at dragging in 3G signal where you wouldn't normally find it, however it's 850MHz, so over time as carriers repourpose their 700MHz band and use 1900 & 2100 it's going to be a bit more problematic.

You can look at things like the Balconi tracker. It's an auto point dual Yagi. It uses GPS location to auto point to the nearest tower. Works well but sometime the signal is stronger when reflected off a mountain or cliff so not always 100% effective and very expensive. http://www.balconi.com.au/BalconiTrackerBrochureRev12_04Feb15.pdf

And then there is always satellite, which is obviously the most expensive option.

For internet access you can rule out Iridium (until 2019 when their new constellation is up and running anyhow), which leaves Inmarsat, very good, but expensive, or Thuraya.

The thuraya sat is North of Australia so no so great in Southern Vic or Tassie but ok most other places.

They have some reasonable sat plans because they are trying to sell excess capacity, but even so, sat is always going to cost you big bucks.

Check out the Thuraya costs from Pivotel, and these are reasonable in satellite terms.

http://www.pivotel.com.au/thuraya_ip_rate_plans.php[/QUOTECheers bell bird think I will give just one Yagi 850Mhz a crack first, Most of trip will be canarvan to broome which is mainly 3G , found a page today with diy yagi for $20 so if I can scrounge some gear might even try that. Do you just find towers on a map/phone and aim for it?

snitzel

Jan 13, 2017
Mandurah Wa

well..........

unless the roof was made specifically for a roof top aircon, it will not have the steel "H" structure inbuilt to hold the weight
you can fit it on the outside (as per old old days of caravans, but its ugly as, and a biatch to secure to the roof)

now
depending on just how handy you are, and not triple thumbed like me, re-building the roof to suit may be the answer
have a look at this thread about rebuilding the whole Van - maybe give you some tips to help you

and wallets

View attachment 47556
cheers bigcol, don't think im that keen though to build a new roof. Ive emailed Jayco for layout so hopefully they get back to me after weekend.

Reactions: bigcol

snitzel

Jan 13, 2017
Mandurah Wa

well..........

now

and wallets

View attachment 47556
old mates done well there.

snitzel

Jan 13, 2017
Mandurah Wa
Bellbird carrying on from antenna, just received email about a new antenna that could be a goer. Don't know anything about all this but on 3G the gain in only 6.5Db and if I was to use a Yagi could get 15Db guessing that mean stronger signal? I do like the idea of not having to hunt for the towers. Is it worth getting 2 in MiMo? guess I need another $150 box to do that too.Email below

For vehicular antennas I generally try to steer clear of Directional Antennas when on the move as these antennas need to be tuned into the local tower each time you change location.

I will generally look to utilise a Collinear Antenna; as these antennas are Omni-Directional (360degree pick up) and therefore do not need to be tuned in.

RFI have only just released their first Omni-Directional Antenna capable of receiving 4Gx/4G+ signals.

The CD7195's 6.5dBi gain is not the strongest but it has the widest operating bandwidth seen in Omni-directional antennas; capable of providing all current Australian 3G and 4G operating frequencies.

The 5-6dBi is the perfect compromise between high/low gain, making it the perfect antenna for travelling through a range of different areas - powerful enough to give you great signal when in remote areas, but low enough to work when travelling through hilly ranges.

The CD Range of antennas can be attached to the MAM2 Folding Caravan Mount which allows the antenna to be in a parallel position when in motion and raised when on site.

[cid:image001.png@01D2666F.5E9769B0]

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/rfi-cd7195-3g-4g-4gx-bullbar-mobile-antenna

https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/mam-marine-mount-rfi-antennas

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Bellbird carrying on from antenna, just received email about a new antenna that could be a goer. Don't know anything about all this but on 3G the gain in only 6.5Db and if I was to use a Yagi could get 15Db guessing that mean stronger signal? I do like the idea of not having to hunt for the towers. Is it worth getting 2 in MiMo? guess I need another $150 box to do that too.Email below

For vehicular antennas I generally try to steer clear of Directional Antennas when on the move as these antennas need to be tuned into the local tower each time you change location.

I will generally look to utilise a Collinear Antenna; as these antennas are Omni-Directional (360degree pick up) and therefore do not need to be tuned in.

RFI have only just released their first Omni-Directional Antenna capable of receiving 4Gx/4G+ signals.

The CD7195's 6.5dBi gain is not the strongest but it has the widest operating bandwidth seen in Omni-directional antennas; capable of providing all current Australian 3G and 4G operating frequencies.

The 5-6dBi is the perfect compromise between high/low gain, making it the perfect antenna for travelling through a range of different areas - powerful enough to give you great signal when in remote areas, but low enough to work when travelling through hilly ranges.

The CD Range of antennas can be attached to the MAM2 Folding Caravan Mount which allows the antenna to be in a parallel position when in motion and raised when on site.

[cid:image001.png@01D2666F.5E9769B0]

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/rfi-cd7195-3g-4g-4gx-bullbar-mobile-antenna

https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/mam-marine-mount-rfi-antennas

Yagi will always have greater gain, but its directional, so you'll always need to point it to get the signal, can be a real pain every time you stop, and no good at all when mobile.

If you want a vehicle mount, the CD7195 looks pretty good. 6.5db gain is pretty good for a whip.

I also saw this on the Telco website. Also expensive, but a lot cheaper than the Balconi https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/cel-fi-go-caravan-package-smart-signal-booster-telstra-3g-4gx

Just depends how much you want to spend and how desperate you are to get internet.

I have a 3db gain bullbar mount going to a wifi hotspot, but find I hardly need it there days and just use the iphones most of the time.

If we are out of coverage, we just have the Inmarsat phone for voice, but don't have sat data, as can't justify the outlay.

Reactions: snitzel

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Have a CD7195 mounted on the post of the wineguard antenna and seems to make a difference. Haven't been anywhere out the middle of nowhere with it yet but when it's been plugged into the modem it has increased signal strength.

Also have a similar smaller one mounted on the bull bar of the Prado and it keeps Mrs Dagree happy being able to keep in touch with her facebook friends :blah: while on the move 8-)

Reactions: snitzel and bigcol

snitzel

Jan 13, 2017
Mandurah Wa
Yagi will always have greater gain, but its directional, so you'll always need to point it to get the signal, can be a real pain every time you stop, and no good at all when mobile.

If you want a vehicle mount, the CD7195 looks pretty good. 6.5db gain is pretty good for a whip.

I also saw this on the Telco website. Also expensive, but a lot cheaper than the Balconi https://telcoantennas.com.au/site/cel-fi-go-caravan-package-smart-signal-booster-telstra-3g-4gx

Just depends how much you want to spend and how desperate you are to get internet.

I have a 3db gain bullbar mount going to a wifi hotspot, but find I hardly need it there days and just use the iphones most of the time.

If we are out of coverage, we just have the Inmarsat phone for voice, but don't have sat data, as can't justify the outlay.
That looks like a good option, her business will pay for it so tax write of hopefully. The worst spot I can see we will have problems is Warraloo station just south of Coral bay(although I should prepare for more remote places incase I behave and talk her into carrying on across the top) so if they think it will work there it could be a goer. Waiting on a price from Balconi. Thanks a lot for assistance boys

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I saw it on the iPad yesterday if that helps...and it looked good for the required job.

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
Have you look at installing a small household split system, I was talking to a guy who installed 2.5Kw ($600.00) unit just over 12 months ago, he hasn't had any problems yet. said it was a lot quieter than the rooftop which stopped working ($1000+to repair for the second time), uses less gen fuel when off grid and works better in hot and cold (snow country) weather

Reactions: Dobbie and bigcol

snitzel

Jan 13, 2017
Mandurah Wa
Have you look at installing a small household split system, I was talking to a guy who installed 2.5Kw ($600.00) unit just over 12 months ago, he hasn't had any problems yet. said it was a lot quieter than the rooftop which stopped working ($1000+to repair for the second time), uses less gen fuel when off grid and works better in hot and cold (snow country) weather
Yea would luv to put a normal split in, just limited for install place. Put on in me old van just ripped out range hood. The bed ends limit ya ab it , also not sure if keeping van after this trip(I like dove for lighter towing and access) so not going to crazy with mods