Relocate spare to rear?

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Has anyone relocated the spare wheel to the rear and come up with a drop down carrier so the wheel drops when expanding the bed. I have seen the drop down design on the Windsor Rapid but wondering if someone sold a kit?

I need to relocate the spare for weight distribution as I want to put a toolbox/bike carrier combo on the front.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
  1. Yes - got the idea off this forum. just waiting for it to be powdered coated. Basically 50x50 tube with 75x50 bumper, then 2of 50x50 5mm angle for the wheel post to swing down. Will post some more photos when installed. Have also welded provision for my bike carrier on it as well, but need to see if practical with the wheel on the bumper. I had put my spare under the front of the van, when I installed a box on the drawbar, but now felt it best to relocate it to the back.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
  1. Yes - got the idea off this forum. just waiting for it to be powdered coated. Basically 50x50 tube with 75x50 bumper, then 2of 50x50 5mm angle for the wheel post to swing down. Will post some more photos when installed. Have also welded provision for my bike carrier on it as well, but need to see if practical with the wheel on the bumper. I had put my spare under the front of the van, when I installed a box on the drawbar, but now felt it best to relocate it to the back.
Do you have a link to where you found on the forum Glen?

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
do a search for bumper. BJ's 14.44.4 has some photos... Also Chartrock did a good article on his -- see "New bumper for spare wheel"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Was laying under my van today trying to figure out how to sling the spare up at the back, the ute type winch hoist has the problem of access for the winder handle with chassis rails in the way,at least on my 14.44.3, but what if you wound it from inside the van ??? open a panel in a cupboard and wind away ??? Just have to get my hands on a unit to check it out, was eyeing off the one on my HiLux Ute as a test rig.............My other idea was extending the rear bar rails and the rear bar was actually a big draw, pull a couple of pins, pull bar out and bingo there's the spare wheel.........early days on the drawing board.