14' Series Rear External Shower Pressure

Ted farkas

Oct 5, 2014
Hi,

Have a 2014 outback with a rear external shower - pressure has always been pour with dribble not spray, finally getting around to sorting it, does anyone have the same problem or a fix.

While i'm at it has anyone fitted a diesel heater as well.

Regards
Ted

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
My 2013 did the same. Tried different hoses, pulled apart the brass 1 way pressure valve under the van. Turned out to be a second one way valve built into the bit where you connect you hose into. (Not shower - town water ). Ripped the valve out as its not needed and problem fixed

Reactions: Bluey

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
To the second part of your question...
I fitted a 5kw diesel heater. $180 delivered from china. There are only 2 sizes although they advertise 2, 3,5,8kw etc. The smaller one is more compact but is hard to get and they will try to send you a 5kw with a 2kw sticker.
Mine works really well and super happy with it. Good idea to join the facebook group 'Chinese diesel vehicle air heaters - troubleshooting & parts sales' as it has tons of install ideas and fault finding.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Our 2014 OB has no issues with pressure on the external shower.

Ted farkas

Oct 5, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.......have to investigate more with the shower - I have extended the house about a metre but shouldn't; have made a difference as it still ran crap without the extension.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
All the vans I've had or played with I pulled the water saver bit out of the shower heads, actually did it in the house as well......... get decent pressure and in the long run saves water..... On my 14.44 I re-routed my water lines, took out a lot of bends, a metre of line and generally made a vast improvement in flow .... also flushed out some plastic drill swirl which was slowing things down.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
My 2013 did the same. Tried different hoses, pulled apart the brass 1 way pressure valve under the van. Turned out to be a second one way valve built into the bit where you connect you hose into. (Not shower - town water ). Ripped the valve out as its not needed and problem fixed

Did the exact same thing. Fixed the problem.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I'll have a go.
Access the back of the plastic box where you connect your hose and remove the water pipe from the John guest fitting (push the jg collar forward to release the pipe)
Unscrew the hose connection (possibly a half turn?) and remove
Use a rod (such as a Phillips screwdriver) to push the valve out

Note: All from memory so may be things I missed

Reactions: Drover

DanChesher

Mar 24, 2019
Brisbane
I'll have a go.
Access the back of the plastic box where you connect your hose and remove the water pipe from the John guest fitting (push the jg collar forward to release the pipe)

Thanks, i will have a look over the weekend. :)

DanChesher

Mar 24, 2019
Brisbane
I'll have a go.

Hi guys, so i finally got around to removing the valve from the mains water connection... Well.... i hope that is the thing i removed. :oops: (pic attached.) Is that what i was meant to remove.

I tested the external shower after, while connected to the house mains and it hasn't improved. Is the pressure different in caravan parks compared to house pressure or have i done something wrong?

or is it time to upgrade the pressure limiting valve from the standard Jayco 350 kpa to a Bunnings 500kpa valve?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 217

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
If the pressure is poor when using the pump then you have a restriction in the pipework somewhere. If the flow is good with the pump but poor on the mains then the PLV is the issue. It also has a non return valve and tiny hole which may be blocked with stuff.

DanChesher

Mar 24, 2019
Brisbane
If the pressure is poor when using the pump then you have a restriction in the pipework somewhere. If the flow is good with the pump but poor on the mains then the PLV is the issue. It also has a non return valve and tiny hole which may be blocked with stuff.

yes it is fine when operating off the pump which is what we use all the time and just top up the tanks as we need, it would just be a lot easier to just plug in and away you go. I will try the PLV next.

thanks for the advice.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Removing the moving bits from the PLV usually helps with better pressure, have done it on mine with no drama for many years........ I would have a look at the plumbing for your shower and see where the change is from mains to pump, low pressure on mains but not on pump is usually reflected in all taps so if thats not the case it must be in the plumbing run for the shower, just hard to see why.

DanChesher

Mar 24, 2019
Brisbane
Removing the moving bits from the PLV usually helps with better pressure, have done it on mine with no drama for many years........ I would have a look at the plumbing for your shower and see where the change is from mains to pump, low pressure on mains but not on pump is usually reflected in all taps so if thats not the case it must be in the plumbing run for the shower, just hard to see why.

Hi Drover, and thanks for your input.

It is all the taps and showers that are low pressure when connected to mains not just the one shower outlet which is why i am thinking it must be the PLV. Next move is to pull it out and have a look.

Cheers
Dan.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
The hack I did with mine was to insert 2 sump plug washers under the PLV spring to increase the tension. Some have also tried stretching the spring. I'm not sure if that fixed it or just the pushing of the plunger back to the far end of the bore. One theory I had was that a visit to a high pressure camp site caused the plunger to move and it didn't slide back - it was quite difficult to slide until I added a wipe of cooking oil...

Reactions: Boots in Action