Rattling water pump

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Hi all,

We finialy pick up our new expanda 16.49.3OB. We have noticed a few issues. One of the main issues is a very rattling water pump. One question, I gather this is not normal has anyone else had this problem? Just for u guys information the issues we have found so far are as follows;
~ water pump
~ the mains water was not working, after my husband went under the caravan he noticed some device for the mains water was the wrong way around, which did not allow the mains water to go through. (he fixed it himself, did a good job as we have no idea about caravans) when we rang jayco they said they can bnt help till Monday as the service department is closed. Thanks for the help Jayco.
~ overslug axle, outback model should have underslug
~the table inside should be the same laminex as the bench tops, out table is in beach wood and is scratched.
~ there is a few scratchers, laminex cut on the edge on the kitchen bench top.
~ scratch, dint on a draw
~ fly door has a bit of the missing black fluff ( looks like it has been cut to sort) the flys would love it.
Apart from that all seams ok. We still love it and all the space. Now just need to wait till next weekend when we get to try it out.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We have the same model 16-49-3 (but 2010) we enquiried as to why ours wasn't underslung as we expected to be,

we where told was due to the type of axle arrangment used on those models ( and smaller ones) it makes the max allowable legal hitch height from the ground to high or some other BS they feed us.

If you look at other models such as Starcraft/Sterlings/Discoveries in Outback version they are underslung because they use a different axle arrangment (stepped) and heavier duty which actually gives them roughly the same height (personally I beg to differ on that without phyically measuring the differences), I hope that clears it up a little for you.

As for the water pump, I wouldn't say ours rattles, but they do tend to be a bit noisey, I helped reduce that in our old Swan by placing some rubber under it to reduce the vibrations against the floor

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks bushman,
After I posted I read about the underslug axles on a few different posts. Still not happy, jayco should inform us that not all models are underslug, just like they should inform not all model OB come with Jerry can holders. These 2 were in the jayco book. We were also told OB models come with LED lights, which we do not have. I will be making an unhappy phone call on Monday. I think they need to get there facts clear when they r selling $40k + products. As for checking the van to make sure everything works, not sure if they get people or monkeys to do it.

I believe our water pump is faulty the water does not flow out at a steady pace and the noice/rattle seams to come out of the pump itself. It does not look like it is hitting something or vibrates on the floor. If they say this is normal I don't think I will be accepting that as an answer. It is actualy very anowing to the point were u will not want to use it. I think my water pond pump will do a better job.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hello
I just went to the factory tour and after seeing how they check-off every van I find it hard to understand how it could happen.
As far as underslung axles go I saw both over and under on the OB models , ours is under, and I believe the truth is you need to ask for overslung specificaly or you get underslung, all the camper OB were overslung.
As far as the 2011 jayco book goes they could do alot to improve it, maybe someone with some knowledge read it and make it Expanda specific instead of a
generic OB section that covers all their OB vans and campers.

Ours is 2011 and we didn't get LED interior lights, bought some from ebay, but all the outside running lights are LED. maybe another jayco book mistake ?
One thing I do know if your not happy stick to you guns and jayco will fix everything even if its out of warranty :fish:

mike007

Aug 8, 2011
Hi, congrats on your new expanda. mine is due end of september. Just thought I might post this as I have read a few people saying the did not get the internal LED's. I was concerned that my expanda wont have em either but since posting about this the general consensus from people that have the LED's in their expandas (anyone that wants to chime in here with their experience is most welcome) seems to be that the LED lights switch is really crappy and easily broken and that it might be better to have the bulbs replaced to the smd LED's off ebay and keep the older light housing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this that have seen the LED's?

Enjoy you van.

Cheers
Mike

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Lisao,

Some of your issues have been covered a few times.
In a nutshell:
- LED lights were standard but i think they had so many issue they changed back to the old style. My dealer swapped the globes over to LED for free as under warranty (as he told me i would have LED's standard when i ordered it).
- Single axle Expandas are always overslung, double axles are always underslung. All to do with the axle type and complying with ADR hitch height requirements.

As for the water pump, ours is very noisy too, and never having one on our previous Hawk, it took a little getting used to. I like Bushmans idea with rubber under the pump. We turn ours off when the kids are asleep and use the manual hand pump instead to save waking them.

Unfortunately, our expanda had quite a few small issues like scratches etc as well. Our whole dinnette window has to be replaced at the first service due to a massive scratch in it that was never picked up from factory or dealer before delivery. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

BUT, every issue i have will be fixed under warranty no questions asked. Lucky they have a good warranty back up, otherwise no one would buy one.

Good luck.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
Good evening all, the water pump in my 17.56-2 tends to be a little noisy until it purges itself of air.
I find that flicking the tap from hot to cold a few times fixes the problem reasonably quick.
I will say that I think the pump has become a little quieter with use.
These type of pumps can be noisy sometimes and I find that about 10 to 12 beers makes them real quiet.

Cheers

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Unfortunately, our expanda had quite a few small issues like scratches etc as well. Our whole dinnette window has to be replaced at the first service due to a massive scratch in it that was never picked up from factory or dealer before delivery. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

BUT, every issue i have will be fixed under warranty no questions asked. Lucky they have a good warranty back up, otherwise no one would buy one.

Good luck.

Hi Moto
how is the edging around your kitchen bench top. Ours feels a bit loose just wondering if yours is too. And yes we have quite a few scratches too. The worst is our hard lid over the bed it is covered with deep swirls from a power buff so i think it will have to be replaced.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Moto
how is the edging around your kitchen bench top. Ours feels a bit loose just wondering if yours is too. And yes we have quite a few scratches too. The worst is our hard lid over the bed it is covered with deep swirls from a power buff so i think it will have to be replaced.

Our kitchen bench top seems OK, but i don't spend much time there:caked:
Thats a bummer about the lid too!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi Lisao,

*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*
I have never had an issue getting anything fixed under warranty and the way I look at it the more you use it in the 1st 12 months the better to make the most out of the warranty period.
And yes our pump is a noisy but not offensive.

As for the black (fluff) around the door if you pull the gap together it should join up and might solve your problem as mine was the same :attention:

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks everyone for the replys. I have since contacted our jayco dealer and was told the pump can have air in it and should get more quite once air out of lines. To help reduce air they did recommend to have the water come out of both tanks rather then one tank at a time.

The table is not the same laminex as the kitchen top because that is now a upgrade option. Our sales guy is trying to organize something for us.

Black fluff looks like it was cut to short, tried pulling it but does not solve the problem. This will get replaced on 1st service.

All the little scratchers will be fixed or replaced on first service.

Led lights - has been confirmed jayco no longer use them as the switchers r faulty. So no more led lights.
Underslug as others have commented single axle can not be undersluged. A miss print in the book & the Jerry can holders also a miss print.

I tryed falling head office to make a general inquiry about the underslug and receptionist also confirmed not underslug. When I started asking questions about all the miss prints in the broucher she told me she will have to get someone to call me back. I never received a phone call back from head office.

Overall we still love our expanda and can not wait to use it fOr the first time on the weekend.
Thanks again.

Reactions: salsimo

The cat

Dec 11, 2011
hi all, had a similar issue, beers do help but after a while it can be annoying. I ended up finding ours was vibrating close to the plastic guard on the inside, I place some medium density foam between a pipe and the guard and its fixed.

We also had issues with the laminex table, stuck it down but continues to lift....many other issues but still have it.

Cat

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Hi there,

I picked up our 1649.2OB last week, the water pump vibrates like it's on its own dirt road. I found that Jayco had kindly screwed the unit down with the two front screws that are visible, but had neglected to screw it down with the two rear screws. Maybe check that.

It seems with my van anything done slightly off main production was fairly sloppy, it also looks like the guys had some sort of silicon war whilst doing the van!

For the price a great deal tho.

The cat

Dec 11, 2011
silicon is obviously cheap , ours has it splashed everywhere also. Rags must be the cost factor.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
i too have been on the factory tour and yes the silicon seems to be used sparingly,though from first hand experience the storms we've been in with our epanda and seeing the testing water bay at the factory tour,it's good a thing. i have neatened up some of the areas which i thought could'vebeen more neat as seen by the purchaser yes agreed, though being the fuss pot i am i even pulled out the whole interior and checked it all off myself once i got it home for my own fussy peace of mind.