rain leaking in front end whilst driving?

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
we drove 5hrs in the rain friday and when setting up noticed the front mattress was very wet from water getting in somewhere, so wondering if this is happened to anyone else and if it is easy remedied?

basically we couldnt use the front bed until the next day after drying out.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Had similar issue but not as bad. Drove through some pretty heavy rain for about an hour or so and got to our destination and part of the sheet was damp. Dried out very quickly though. Going to look into where it may have come in and maybe look at some type of door weatherproofing. Won't be too thick but may help solve the issue.

BJ

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Our brother Paul Beaumont from the expandas Facebook site listed about this problem, I'm pretty sure he just adjusted the latches as to put more pressure on the seals? I can't remember Paul's user name on here (I think he's on here? @Coastrunner may be able to help me out here???)

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Yep. Adjust the door to put more pressure on the seals.
You could smear a thin layer of vasoline on the opening where the seal sits. Close the door then reopen it and see if the vasoline has transferred to the seal. If you have a section where there is no vasoline or its very thin then that's where your water has entered. Then just wipe the vaso off.

Reactions: msmith24 and blacky

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
mine hasn,t leaked, but I adjusted latches (tighter) as when I pushed on the lid while closed, it seemed to go in with quite a lot so I just presumed it wouldn't be tight on the seal. Never had water come in and have driven thru very heavy rain on our travels. Barney

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Try the adjustment of the latches. As a guide, close the lid with a piece of paper within it, then pull the paper to see how much pressure is on it. Continue to adjust latches accordingly. Pace.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
The hinge may have to be resealed - I showed pictures when I did mine in my thread - Bill's 16.49-3.....water used to come in when driving in rain and even when parked outside in the rain. Re sealing with Sikaflex did the trick. See page 3.....

Last edited:

jed

May 16, 2013
It happened to us once but when I opened the bed end I noticed a little bit of the bed end canvas was not tucked in far enough and was trapped near the seal since then we have had no problems

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
A mate had the same problem driving in heavy rain, i'm not sure what he ended up doing about it, he worked out that it was coming in around the fixed part of the catch, as there is a small gap on each side of the metal plate (where the catch pulls onto) & the fibreglass, the rubber seal press up against this plate about in the middle of it & leaves a gap below the rubber seal