PX Ranger, Limp home mode but no fault code

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I just had a thought Dean, if by refitting the standard tank it doesn't fix the fault then I would be giving the Dealer (and thereby Ford) the Invoice for it, with a threat that otherwise Consumer Affairs, Current Affair and the Newspapers will be hearing about it.

I was thinking the exact same thing @PhilD. Who pays for the winch removal? Personally I'd get it in writing that if the long range tank isn't the cause of the problem (along with the winch) then Ford are to reimburse you the full costs of getting those items removed, and then subsequently reinstalled back on to the vehicle.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I'm not familiar with the fuel system fitted to the Ranger I can but assume that it is similar to the Mercedes system in my Jeep, whereas the fuel filter not only has fuel flowing from tank to rail but also has a valve fitted to it which has the return fuel line running thru it, this valve at times will allow returning fuel to flow back into the filter (warm up) as well as any air which may be in the system before it returns to the tank. These valves have been known to malfunction causing problems which the Dealer cannot pin point on his electronics and may even be the cause of some limp modes.
Years ago when mine was having a problem which I couldn't source I bypassed this valve and closed it off, just as a temp measure, all ran good and it has been out of the loop for a good 100,000k's now.
I would look at putting a resistor in the fuel sensor line so it will tell the ECU a lower fuel temp and possibly looking for a better position for the fuel cooler if not an extra unit

Steve K

Jun 19, 2015
Pearcedale, Vic
Hi folks,
Sorry to butt in as I don't have a caravan but I found your post on google, and after reading it I joined up to share my experience as I think it may it may help you as my vehicle had the same symptoms.(and I will feel better for having my whinge about Mazda Australia)
I have a 2012 BT50 3.2 4x4 Six Speed Manual which has been in the Mazda Workshop for the past 3 weeks plus and still is, with the Limp Home problem you describe. It has done about 95,000kms, I am an Industrial Electrician and I carry a minimum of 400kg of tools and gear on the back since I the day I brought it home.
At about the 60,000 mark my car went in to limp mode for the first time and then probably did it once a week for about 6 weeks until I noticed the dash warning light flash briefly in the dark. I took it to my Mechanic (Not a Mazda Dealer) and he could not find a fault code. We suspected a loose earth as it seemed to happen when I went through roundabouts or over rough terrain. He went over the car, couldn't find anything but the problem disappeared for about 3 months, then came back gradually. Once a week at first, every second day then it became a daily occurrence over a couple of months.
I took it to Mazda and the Mechanic suspected the "Fuel Temperature Sensor", cleared the fault log and advised me to book it in with them. The problem then promptly disappeared again for a few weeks. So I didn't go back and I drove the car without any issues for a while..
I only keep my work cars for 3 years and at about 80,000 it began happening again and by now I was thinking of replacing it anyway.
I just put up with and flicked the ignition off and back on while driving.
Eventually, it started doing it 3,4,5 times a day and more if I was towing, particularly uphill. I took it to a Mazda dealer and they replaced the Fuel filter that was only 10,000kms old, told me it was still doing it and we started the fight to have it fixed before the warranty expired. After getting back this time it was almost undriveable, 30 times in a 200km day was not unusual, then maybe nothing for the next 200kms.
Mazda agreed to fix it under Warranty and they have had it for 26 days and still counting! The Service Manager just fed me BS but I got to speak to the actual Mechanic who is working on the car when I went to retrieve all of tool boxes and gear. He showed me the Injector Pump and told it this is not necessarily common, but it is not unheard of either.
The Injector Pump has 3 pistons running on a Cam, one piston on my car had been sticking and had left score marks on the Cam. This causes the fuel to get stuck in the chamber and overheat which then sets off the Fuel Temp Sensor and sends the car into limp mode. Sweet, change the Injector Pump and she will be good as new I thought. Wrong!!
My trouble is Mazda has no Injector Pumps in Australia and even though the Service Manager told me Ford have plenty, Ford charge Madza more and they wont buy them off Ford on principle. But Mazda Australia were happy enough to Hire me a Ute form Hertz for 14 days!!
Surely the cost of Ute hire outweighs any extra they pay! I rely on my Car and there has been no real effort to hurry the process up on Mazda's behalf. The Hire ute was useless as I couldn't secure my Tools so I bought another car anyway.
Moral of the story is if you rely on having your vehicle to earn a living don't buy a Mazda, I've bought a Colorado now and hopefully I have more luck with it.
By the way - If I ever get the BT50 back, it is up for urgent sale as I am now paying off 2 work vehicles, if you are in the Market for a used BT50 with a new Injector Pump let me know..

homerJ

Aug 30, 2014
Wow you have been very patient Phil.

With respect to Deans long range tank problem sadly the Australian Consumer Law would err on the side of Ford in this case as the 'goods' have been modified. Their obligations are to an unmodified 'good'. (I work in Fair Trading so the ACL is my bread and butter so to speak)

Reactions: Dean Gordon

Dean Gordon

Jan 27, 2015
Hi again all, just thought I'd give you a quick update.
ARB replaced The Longranger fuel tank with a standard one they sourced from Sydney back in late Feb. We then set off on our 3 month trip in March, going around the coast of Vic, S.A, across the Nullabore, quick trip inland to see the Kalgoorlie super pit, then back down to Cape Le Grande & continued to follow the coast line as far as Karatha before going into Milstream, Tom Price, Kurijini, back up to Port Hedland, then Marble Bar, Carowine Gorge, Rudal River, then Gary Junction Rd into the back of West MacDonnell Ranges, King's Canyon, Oodnadatta track to Flinder's Ranges, then back to ACT via Broken Hill. We had an awesome trip, made even better by the fact we had not a single issue with the Ranger going into limp mode!!!

In total we traveled 19.5K Km, with temps as high as 40 degrees (across Nullabore for hours on end, plus at Kalgoorlie). Previously the car went into limp mode as soon as temps went over 30.

ARB are adamant that The Longranger was not the problem, they think perhaps one of the fuel hoses was the cause all along. As a result, it's booked in to get The Longranger reinstalled next month... it also means we won't be able to really test it until summer (with temps above 30) since it's too bloody cold here any other time of year! Fingers crossed...

homerJ

Aug 30, 2014
Hi Dean

Just spitballing but I wonder what the internal diameter on the pipes on the long ranger are? Maybe enough restriction there?

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Im trying to think back when I put my long ranger into the BT50. Im sure all but 1 fuel pipe go back through the standard pump which just bolts into the long ranger tank. The only pipe you change (I cant remember where it went) Involves pushing the supplied fuel hose over the factory hard pipe, so it is actually bigger.
I did notice though that when you reinstall the fuel cooler it does sit hard up against the back of the tank right above the rear diff. When I put it back on (after drilling a new hole I think) I pulled it away from the tank to try and get some air flow and to stop it rubbing.
I would of though you would have less trouble with hot fuel whole towing though as you would be using more fuel and sending less back to the tank via the cooler?? Did It get worse with less fuel in the tank? less fuel means fuel temp will rise quicker in the tank itself.
Hmm another job, will see if I can move my cooler into some air flow, It is only a small U shaped cooler so wouldn't take much to upset it cooling wise.
The only problem I have had so far with my 2012 BT with 65k on it is a leaking rocker cover.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just recalled something from another forum similar situation with extra tanks and it was a low pressure in the tanks was stopping fuel lift, in otherwords the tank wasn't breathing, driving with fuel cap off and the fault didn't appear, easy way to test I suppose just can't remember what they did to fix it.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
For what it's worth gents, I've forwarded this thread to a few of the power train Test and development engineers at work.(Ford) Not sure I'll get much back, but if so do I'll let you know.
Now if it was to do with interior or exterior trim, or body construction, I would definitely be more help :(

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I know this thread's about the PX Ranger, but for what it's worth, I've had my 2011 Diesel Terry go briefly, into limp home mode. Ford put it down to a faulty EGR valve.

Been fine since....touch wood.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
my mates dads ranger is going in at the end of this month to get a new motor fitted.
It's made a funny sound when under load at times and now ford wants the motor to work out what's wrong.
It's never gone into limp mode but they must think it's serious enough to do a engine swap .

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
my mates dads ranger is going in at the end of this month to get a new motor fitted.
It's made a funny sound when under load at times and now ford wants the motor to work out what's wrong.
It's never gone into limp mode but they must think it's serious enough to do a engine swap .
How many kms?

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
What have I started??????

Update for us: We never got to get away last year as firstly it took us a while to feel confident again. Also we had a few changes and issues at home that required us to hang around. Having gotten all that out of the way we started out a few weeks ago and we're now just South of Adelaide. This isn't a trip report as the pictures aren't ready for posting and there would no doubt be someone stating "no pictures so it didn't happen" and anyway I didn't want to jinx this trip.
The good news, so far, is the problem hasn't resurfaced. There has been a few (some self inflicted) problems not related to the car though. More elsewhere soon, if I can unfreeze my fingers.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
What have I started??????

Update for us: We never got to get away last year as firstly it took us a while to feel confident again. Also we had a few changes and issues at home that required us to hang around. Having gotten all that out of the way we started out a few weeks ago and we're now just South of Adelaide. This isn't a trip report as the pictures aren't ready for posting and there would no doubt be someone stating "no pictures so it didn't happen" and anyway I didn't want to jinx this trip.
The good news, so far, is the problem hasn't resurfaced. There has been a few (some self inflicted) problems not related to the car though. More elsewhere soon, if I can unfreeze my fingers.
No pics? didn't happen !

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi again all, just thought I'd give you a quick update.
ARB replaced The Longranger fuel tank with a standard one they sourced from Sydney back in late Feb. We then set off on our 3 month trip in March, going around the coast of Vic, S.A, across the Nullabore, quick trip inland to see the Kalgoorlie super pit, then back down to Cape Le Grande & continued to follow the coast line as far as Karatha before going into Milstream, Tom Price, Kurijini, back up to Port Hedland, then Marble Bar, Carowine Gorge, Rudal River, then Gary Junction Rd into the back of West MacDonnell Ranges, King's Canyon, Oodnadatta track to Flinder's Ranges, then back to ACT via Broken Hill. We had an awesome trip, made even better by the fact we had not a single issue with the Ranger going into limp mode!!!

In total we traveled 19.5K Km, with temps as high as 40 degrees (across Nullabore for hours on end, plus at Kalgoorlie). Previously the car went into limp mode as soon as temps went over 30.

ARB are adamant that The Longranger was not the problem, they think perhaps one of the fuel hoses was the cause all along. As a result, it's booked in to get The Longranger reinstalled next month... it also means we won't be able to really test it until summer (with temps above 30) since it's too bloody cold here any other time of year! Fingers crossed...
I'm sure ther was another thread on here somewhere where someone has had the same problem with the poor installation on a long range tank restricting fuel flow on a Nissan, I think