Privacy Screen Fixings

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
G'day All

Just wondering if anyone has changed the press stud fixings of the privacy screens ?

Not sure if I've seen on here a velcro system ? Tried searching forum but came up a few hits !! :)

Press studs are pretty average - do the job but pain to get to stick sometimes

Cheers

Paul

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Are you suggesting a Velcro system that attaches to the hard lid? Or one that attaches to the existing fold out canvas?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I am wondering if there would be enough of a lip on the hard lid to mount a thick enough piece of Velcro.
I am assuming you would need to attach the Velcro to the side of the lip.
The Velcro couldn't be too thin without compromising the ability for the privacy screen to hang.

Another thought.....
Could you sew Velcro around the window of the Jayco canvas? And then have the privacy screens attach to that?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Paul,

Velcro sounds like a great idea, but will it be strong enough to keep the screens taught once they are fitted?

Ours screens are not the factory ones, but came with the new van from Prestige Jayco. They make their own that look exactly like the factory ones and they used screws to fix the to the top/lid, not press studs.

Hope this helps.

Rohan

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Guys I don't know if Jayco have fixed it yet. But in our 2011 (and the ones i checked t the dealership) they used the wrong size screw in the press studs.the heads are too large and stop the press stud from clipping properly. I bought next size down gauge screws and re did them all and hey presto the clips work perfectly.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I might add what I also found was that the clips on the lid and the screen didn't always line up with so I repositioned the clips on the hard lid. Those that went in the same holes generally held okay as it is only one screw size down. Any I was suss about I jammed a bit of bamboo BBQ skewer up the hole first.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Here`s a previous thread regarding bed end covers.
So many people have so many different types. Some are held on with sail track {similar to the annexe slide on tracks}, others use the press studs.
I opted for additional press studs, and three separate canvas screens that I can tie together or peg out as an awning. This way I still get the protection from the rain and sun, but also get the airflow happening.

I`ve seen others that have windows sewn in. They look great and allow extra light in when its miserable weather. Either way, I would definitely have them made so that you can peg them out and separate each wall to be able to get some nice cool breeze through.

See the link below for all the different options from a previous thread.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1346-Bed-End-Fly-s-amp-Annexes/page3

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Here`s a pic of my bed end covers. Hope this helps.

I actually wanted to make mine connect using the sail track, but the sail track I tried was too thick and made the lid too hard to close. In saying that, I used the existing press studs and had extras put in and it's worked fine.

bedend.jpg

bedend1.jpg

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I have changed some of the press studs screwed into the hard lid as well as adding new ones to hold the plastic bed end protectots i made. i have also noticed that some of them are screwed in too tight and it opens up the stud making it much harder to push them onto, back off the screw a little until it look slightly loose spray with silicon spray and your good to go!!

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I too have the Prestige Jayco screens, permantly screwed to the hard lids, and they fold up inside the hard lid when packing up. All of about 10 seconds to setup or packup.

Interestingly, I have never had any problems with have wet canvas ends using these screens. I don't know if it because we haven't been out in heavy rain, or if there is some thing about the design of the Prestige shadecloth screens that makes them better than the Jayco ones.

Jason

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Our weather proof bed ends attach via sail track. We had them made for when we went to Victoria to ensure the heating extended all the way to the end of the canvas area :) We have to remove them though when packing up.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Jason.

Like yourself I WAS happy with the standard privacy screens, but once in heavy rain I did finally notice that my bed ends were damp.

So for $180 I had the canvas ones made up. Been in heavy rain again since and had dry bed ends.

Don`t get me wrong the standard shade cloth bed ends are good, but not as water proof as canvas screens.

Small droplets make their way through the shade cloth type screens but doesn`t get through the canvas ones.

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Thanks Coastrunner,

As I said, I haven't had the problem myself yet, so I don't see the value in the canvas screens at the moment.

Maybe I will get a few cheap blue tarps to keep in the bottom of a cupboard so I can rig up some temporary water proof screens if the need arises.

Jason

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Guys I don't know if Jayco have fixed it yet. But in our 2011 (and the ones i checked t the dealership) they used the wrong size screw in the press studs.the heads are too large and stop the press stud from clipping properly. I bought next size down gauge screws and re did them all and hey presto the clips work perfectly.

I made jayco fix my press studs could not press together ,all fixed under warranty

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
we had our van fited with canvas privacy screens and they attach with velcro ,we find them very secure and it has no problem holding the weight of the canvas also leaves no gaps around the top. the guy that made them said they are changing all the ute covers to velcro as it is stronger so hope this helps very easy to remove or replace.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
we had our van fited with canvas privacy screens and they attach with velcro ,we find them very secure and it has no problem holding the weight of the canvas also leaves no gaps around the top. the guy that made them said they are changing all the ute covers to velcro as it is stronger so hope this helps very easy to remove or replace.
Have you got some picks of the underside of your lid bigbertha? Just wondering where the Velcro attaches.