Prados 18.57-6

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
Hi all,

After looking at this forum for the last four months I have finally taken delivery of our new baby. We picked her up in Ballarat 2 weeks ago but have not had a chance to use it yet ( apart from a first night sleep next to the house ). Extremely happy with the build quality. Really would have liked the outback version but wanted to keep the weight down but getting as much size as we could. So i compromised and got the underslung option instead which has give me a extra 100ml of clearance.

Options included.

Factory underslung
battery pack
Anderson plug to battery
Wingard antenna
Tv Provision
Drop Jacks
side table
Extra hatch under bunks at side ( great inclusion)
Ibis Air

Smythesdale-20121123-00059.jpgView attachment 10967Warrnambool-20121125-00063.jpg
Extra happy with it so far. Towed like a dream behind the Prado grande. Dealer told me not to use weight distribution hitch due to the self levelling suspension on the prado but it towed extremely well on the 200km trip home. Will post some pics of our first trip.

Attachments

• Warrnambool-20121125-00061.jpg
    Warrnambool-20121125-00061.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 349

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome Prado, good choice of van, the lift looks good too and the hatch a great idea.....enjoy mate!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome prado and congrats on the van. It looks excellent.
Just one thing to note is that I don't think Jayco use the actual wingard antenna. It is a close match. Something to remember if you ever think of trying to get the extra attachment that the wingard antenna has. My understanding is that it won't fit.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome Prado. Nice to have another under slung 18 in the mix. Sits nicely behind your Prado (and i agree with you on how surprisingly well they tow). Hope you have many years of enjoyment in it, and look forward to sharing your adventures via this forum. What's been your previous van experience or have you just started at the top?

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
:nod:
Welcome Prado. Nice to have another under slung 18 in the mix. Sits nicely behind your Prado (and i agree with you on how surprisingly well they tow). Hope you have many years of enjoyment in it, and look forward to sharing your adventures via this forum. What's been your previous van experience or have you just started at the top?

Hi Xpandafan, this is our first van. Went through the same process as most with tents then a camper trailer, just skiped the pop top bit. Thought if were going to buy a van that we would get it as big as we could to see out the journey with us a bit longer. Have you considered upgrading to 15" wheels with the underslung?

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
Welcome Prado, good choice of van, the lift looks good too and the hatch a great idea.....enjoy mate!

Thanks Burnsy, hope I dont have your run of issues like you have had. However after saying I was happy with the build quality yesterday, I was in the van last night with the wife fixing up the bunk curtains. I climbed on the ladder to the top bunk and put my knee on the closest corner to the fridge and crack went the small pin holding the top bunk to that corner. Not happy Jan:Cry:. Anyway thought about sending it in for a warrenty job but ending up fixing it myself with some aluminum angle and longer screws.

crmmg

Hi Cruza driver,

Have a weekend planned in a couple of weeks to portfairy, then 2 weeks in Robe SA in late Jan. Then the grand plan is a six month lap of the country in about 18 months time if all goes well.

Welcome prado. Nice choice of van. May see you down at port fairy as we are down there over xmas break after visiting relo's in Halls Gap. Enjoy the new van.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks Burnsy, hope I dont have your run of issues like you have had. However after saying I was happy with the build quality yesterday, I was in the van last night with the wife fixing up the bunk curtains. I climbed on the ladder to the top bunk and put my knee on the closest corner to the fridge and crack went the small pin holding the top bunk to that corner. Not happy Jan:Cry:. Anyway thought about sending it in for a warrenty job but ending up fixing it myself with some aluminum angle and longer screws.
Yep... Gotta be part handyman if you buy a new Jayco. Looking forward to hearing about your trip to Port Fairy. We are looking to stay up that way some time in the future. Looks like a lovely town.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Prado,
Welcome mate, and like the others have said great choice of panda, and also the Prado. I am an absolute lover of em.
We set off on our first trip in 2weeks and like you can't wait.
Enjoy, and look forward to hearing your adventures too.

Jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle

Sounds like it's better now than original, I heard somewhere the top bunk is rated to 70kg...I miss out by about 45kg :) I was thinking of some supports in corners that run down to bottom bunk to take some load, maybe a mod for next year!

Cheers.

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
Port Fairy-20121215-00070.jpgPort Fairy-20121215-00071.jpgPort Fairy-20121215-00072.jpg
Welcome Prado, nice looking setup. Keep us posted on mods and trips.

Hi all, Well just returned from taking the expanda on its first shakedown trip to Port Fairy. After 28mm of rain in 8 hours it was a good test of jaycos ability to water proof the van. Well on the external waterproofing it passed with flying colours. Also the addition of a self made waterproof bed fly out of bunnings 1mm tablecloth pvc and some eyelet worked a treat ( thanks to whoever put that mod on the forum) pic attached.

However cant quite say the same for the waterproofing of the shower. Water seemed to be getting in the gap about 40mm of the base of the shower after running down the walls. Surely jayco would seal this gap but it doesnt appear so. Hopefully not another burnsy eposide hear. the water came out under the bottom of the shower door and onto the floor and cupboard ajoining the shower. Any help would be apprecaited.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi prado, I don't quite understand when you say the cupboard got wet. Without the curtain I thought that might be a possibility of water under the door but the cupboard I don't understand?

Cheers.

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
Hi prado, I don't quite understand when you say the cupboard got wet. Without the curtain I thought that might be a possibility of water under the door but the cupboard I don't understand?

Cheers.

Sorry Burnsy, explanation wasn't that clear when re read. What I ment to say was obviously the shower base is separate to the walls. Were they join at approx 40mm up from the base of the shower floor there is a join right around. This is not sealed with silicone and when water has got into the join it has then gone under the shower base on top of the ply floor and laminate and run out into the floor of the van and cupboards. What I'm thinking is that if I silicone the gap hopefully the water ingruss onto the sub floor will not happen. Not sure wether that's a warranty job or not?