Prado Vs Hilux

Jason Fordham

Apr 4, 2013
Hi to all. I am about to trade in my 2004 Prado diesel manual and am looking a new double cab hilux diesel manual as well. I have a 16.49 expanda and was wondering how much difference I would notice between the Prado and Hilux. Any comment would be appreciated

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I would think you will notice the Hilux will have a bit more pull than the old Prado were you concerned with that? I think you have approx 30 more kw not sure on torque figures.

Jason Fordham

Apr 4, 2013
I was thinking more to do with the Hilux being a lighter car especially in the rear end. Not sure if this causes handling problems. The Prado has been great at every turn (Power, handling etc)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
My brother has a petrol 08 hilux 2wd and tows a 16-49 and likes it. It`s got a canopy and normally a bit of gear in the back, he also tows with his Cluger as well.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I tow my 17 with the Hilux.
Never had any handling issues, but have found it to be a bit gutless on the Freeway.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I wouldn't think there'd be that much between towing/power cababilites of either as they are very similar drive train and rated at the same towing capacity, and given the difference in weight of the vehile, the gap is closed by the ratio and number of cogs to play with (6spd vs 5sd).

But I reckon you will notice the ride and comfort a hellava lot though when not hitched up - I was tossing up between a Prado and Hilux in 2010 and opted for the Navara based on cost and it was more passenger car like than the Hilux. I drive Prados and Hiluxs for work (not towing though) and know exactly which one I’d prefer to drive on the long haul...

There’s lot to consider – family vs. two people (rear leg room), what goes in the back when on tour and not on tour, how much towing will you be doing… A big winner for the Prado in my book is the dual fuel tank for maximum range between pit stops when towing.

Decisions decisions… just wish it was me with this delima J

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Having owned a new TD Hilux Dual Cab SR5 back in 2008 and currently driving an 08 Prado I would say Prado hands down. The lighter towing capacity of the Hilux (2250kg), touring comfort and as stated by Ligedy above, the long range fuel tank makes the Prado the best option for me. If you have a dog or really need the tray then perhaps the Hilux will be a better option for you. All comes down to your personal needs.
Either way....both reliable vehicles.
Good luck!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Great answer Kingy I guess the other thing is that the Hilux is a bit more agricultural in its build and suspension (compared to Prado :) )

I would sit down and write the pros and cons for both and work out what suits your needs best and also see if you can go to a dealer and drive them back to back to see what you think free-random-smileys-367.gif