Prado 150 electric brake wiring

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Rightio guys, (and gals) I'm wiring up the electric brakes today in the new 150.

Any tips or helpful advice? Who can tell me which colour wire in the towbar loom is for electric brakes at the plug? Towbar is getting fitted tomorrow so I can't just take a quick look :/

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
blue ................ usually :)
do a google search and you will find lots of diagrams

Reactions: blacky

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Peter, Is it worth getting an auto elec to do it. I was going to do mine myself until I read some horror stories of computers frying.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
hello, it is best to get a sparky to do the brake controller, i had a 150 kakado last year, they do run a small computer board in the rear that runs the trailer plug. in there is the blue wire that runs to the brake controller, you also will find the breakwire that runs to the trailer plug, this also runs to the break controller. as for the 6mm cable for the fridge, you might be better running a thicker 8 gauge cable from the battery to the rear, this will run the van and the fridge at the same time and will give you less trouble in the future. sometimes 6mm cables are not 6mm cables and area all plastic - not copper. also some fridges need more power to start them, and 6mm will somtimes throw a error code on the fridge on startup - meaning you have to reset the fridge for it to operate again. also the negative running to the plug and the fridge can be short and connected to the chassie. (make sure you take the paint off the chassie before connecting the eyelet) doing this will further reduce voltage drops to the rear.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Peter Black mate, for the cost, go to someone like Deering's (WA anyway) or a MAJOR Auto Elect chain
I got them to do the brake controller in mine - all was good
got them to hook up the new 12 pin for the Expanda - all was good
picked up Expanda - all was good
hang on, no brakes..........
stopped at Deering's on the way home - they spent 2 hours tracing the "faults" - broken earth lead, bad connection in 7pin, not connected properly in 12pin etc

not cost me a penny as they fitted and maintain my Electrics

save your head aches brother

cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
also, I love the thought, that if I have a problem that they have worked on - ring them up - get pointed in the direction of nearest Shop - and no cost to me...........................................................:amen:

cheers

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
@Peter Black if you remove the panel where the jack is you will find the loom for the trailer plug. There is a stray blue wire there. Just join your brake wire to that, saves you having to run a wire down to the trailer plug.

Have a good look at Pradopoint forum. Lots of posts showing how to remove dash and other trim. Also a good one on how to wire up a switch to turn reverse camera on and off manually. PM me if you want help, I did a lot of the stuff you are talking about on my old 150.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Rightio! Now, I appreciate everyone's input, but as a stubborn mechanic, I did it myself.

It was scary, ripping apart a brand spanking $70k car! I installed the module in the passenger side foot well. I ran the switches up to the centre console for install. I installed my dual battery control solenoid in the engine bay, and picked up power and earth there for the red arc. Twin core through a spare grommet on the lhs of engine bay. Then, I pulled the floor track up (doorway foot bits??) And ran twin core to the rear lhs, you will see in the photos I pulled the Twin core through to the jack compartment with a piece of rope. To get the rope in there I used a length of tube. As said above, soooo much handy info on pradopoint!
IMG_20140320_093402_644.jpg
IMG_20140320_093413_288.jpg
IMG_20140320_093508_691.jpg
IMG_20140320_121409_307.jpg
IMG_20140320_112808_120.jpg

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
hello, just a hint with the redarc brake controller. this controller is very basic and will run your brake pads on the van very quickly and make braking in towns very jerky. this break controller has a power adjustment level only, so when the break is applied it will apply the power straight away to the brakes, so either on or off, this is very jerky in towns at low speeds, but works fine at highway speeds. there are better units that have another adjustment which is time delay adjustment, this brings the brakes from zero to its pre set setting in a preset amount of time - which is set by another control. this is fantastic in towns, as when you apply brakes in the town it will not suddenly turn the brakes on, but will slowly turn them on. but they still work great on the highway as well.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
hello, just a hint with the redarc brake controller. this controller is very basic and will run your brake pads on the van very quickly and make braking in towns very jerky. this break controller has a power adjustment level only, so when the break is applied it will apply the power straight away to the brakes, so either on or off, this is very jerky in towns at low speeds, but works fine at highway speeds. there are better units that have another adjustment which is time delay adjustment, this brings the brakes from zero to its pre set setting in a preset amount of time - which is set by another control. this is fantastic in towns, as when you apply brakes in the town it will not suddenly turn the brakes on, but will slowly turn them on. but they still work great on the highway as well.

I had the Redarc in my 150 and found it to be a little jerky in towns. Found I just turned it down a little and took most of the jerkiness out of it. Obviously you aren't tailgating and racing through town!!! When I upgraded to the LC200 I put in the P3, smoother unit but at over three times the cost!

Good fun pulling apart a brand new car @Peter Black !!!! I loved the look on my wifes face when I started!

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Haha my missus wouldn't even look in the car @Hubble80! I find I drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand near the brakes. I often have it turned down low, and crank it up as I need it. But yea, I wish it was proportional!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Done the same to the Pathy re wiring path. Find anything worth mention to Mr Toyota while you had the dash apart. Guess they can iron out the new rattles (under warranty), you might be getting in dash from the disassembling.

Is the colour black, just cant seem to make it out? Was it given colour to reflect surname?

Pace.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Haha yea have you seen the super cheap auto ad on TV where old mate was trying to find the rattle in his dash?

Its charcoal, we had a black rodeo in 2008 and the black Prado 120, but I hate how they always look dirty and show every scratch like they're an inch deep. I wanted silver, but we compromised with the charcoal ;) hopefully it will be a good colour!​