Pop Top Roof Moving

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Making sure the awning is not under tension before lifting or lowering.... Now that's a goo d idea and really not to much trouble at all...

Simply put awning switch in open position pull it out about a meter and before doing anything else lift, lift the roof, mmmm why didn't I think of that...

Good one, cheers

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Simply put awning switch in open position pull it out about a meter and before doing anything else lift, lift the roof, mmmm why didn't I think of that...

Good one, cheers[/QUOTE]
Think ill this a go tomorrow.cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I won't have any pop top issues after September when we pick up our 18' :dance: It will be a bugger to wash the roof and put cover on though!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
It does help but Iam with Bigman I think it is caused by the van been off level. What I find is once you have lowered the roof you have to extend the awning out again to get enough tension for it to wind back tightly if that makes sense?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I won't have any pop top issues after September when we pick up our 18' :dance: It will be a bugger to wash the roof and put cover on though!

Yep my next van will have no "pop" top either if I have my way.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Well - I never thought my original post would engender so many replies! Fantastic - thanks everyone who has given their thoughts. Still haven't put my roof down to see if the shove I have given has made a difference.
Also, unfortunately not taking the van away now next week - long story!

Am in the process of reinforcing attachments of cupboards at the moment - removing Jayco's brackets (covered by brown plastic covers) and replacing with aluminium angle screwed and glued. In anticipation of some rough roads down the track!

Regards

Bill

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
our first 16.49 has done two laps of the block including the centre and some rough roads, sadly not with us. But the shelving held up really well with those brown brackets. the only one that failed was the long one over the offside window, but Jayco have improved that with bracing at points along its length.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
our first 16.49 has done two laps of the block including the centre and some rough roads, sadly not with us. But the shelving held up really well with those brown brackets. the only one that failed was the long one over the offside window, but Jayco have improved that with bracing at points along its length.

Thanks for that comment Jim - I'll probably still keep doing what I am doing, just for more peace of mind if nothing else!

Regards

Bill

May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
Well - I never thought my original post would engender so many replies! Fantastic - thanks everyone who has given their thoughts. Still haven't put my roof down to see if the shove I have given has made a difference.
Also, unfortunately not taking the van away now next week - long story!

Am in the process of reinforcing attachments of cupboards at the moment - removing Jayco's brackets (covered by brown plastic covers) and replacing with aluminium angle screwed and glued. In anticipation of some rough roads down the track!

Regards

Bill

I noticed at a recent factory tour that those little brown brackets are screwed into a piece of sheetmetal sandwiched between the internal wall panel and the poly in the wall space. Make sure that if you replace them that you put new brackets in the same spot so that you to are screwing into the sheetmetal. The wall panel alone will not securely hold the screws.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I noticed at a recent factory tour that those little brown brackets are screwed into a piece of sheetmetal sandwiched between the internal wall panel and the poly in the wall space. Make sure that if you replace them that you put new brackets in the same spot so that you to are screwing into the sheetmetal. The wall panel alone will not securely hold the screws.

Thanks for that information! As well as screws I am using construction glue - would hate to be the one to remove the cupboards/cabinets one day!

Bill

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I should explain that I am using long lengths of aluminium angle in place of the brackets, not just cutting the metal to be the same size as the existing brackets.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Next week, Jayco are going to "re align" my poptop and replace the skirt which had holes rubbed in it from the miss alignment.

Also, as a side note they are replacing:
front lid (fibreglass bubbles)
front bed tent (2 rub holes (probably from me nit folding it up correctly))

I thought I would be picky as my van is up for its 12mths warranty very shortly.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Hey Bigman ours had both Hard Lids replaced too. They "bubbled up" on us. I'm told it is delamination caused when moisture is permitted to enter during the manufacturing process. This is from a boat builder. He recommended we sort it as eventually it rots through. Seems this has been a common fault.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Next week, Jayco are going to "re align" my poptop and replace the skirt which had holes rubbed in it from the miss alignment.

Also, as a side note they are replacing:
front lid (fibreglass bubbles)
front bed tent (2 rub holes (probably from me nit folding it up correctly))

I thought I would be picky as my van is up for its 12mths warranty very shortly.

On my old expanda I had exactly the same issue. Jayco realigned it in a service, but on closer inspection I found the starting of rubbing between the skirt and the nut that the strut attached to on the opposite side of the van to the awning. If you have this issue, make sure you take a look for wearing in the skirt.