Pop Top Roof Moving

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
After reading bigman's comment in another thread about his roof moving 20-30mm to awning side, I decided to check mine out - ours has moved about 10mm. I now have a reason as to why one of clamps (right hand side front) was harder to fit than the others.

Looking at how the roof works I came to the following conclusions - the struts that hold the roof up will do nothing to stop lateral movement - all that stops the roof moving to either side are the two "brackets for want of a better word" that are used to pop the roof. These are attached to the roof at each end by 16 screws (8 at each end) - similarly they are attached to the van by 8 screws at each end. The brackets are not made with great precision and it would appear that, in my van at any rate, they would allow a certain amount of lateral movement - the awning is the culprit I think, as someone else suggested.

If push came to shove the screws into the roof could be removed and the roof then shifted slightly back towards centre and then screwed back on in the new position.

I am able to raise the roof while in the garage - when in the up position I gave the roof a shove back to the opposite side of the awning - this seems to have centred the roof better than before - won't know for sure until I pull roof down (later).

Comments please - do others agree with the above??

Cheers

Bill

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Agree Bill, and like I said in bigmans thread it seems too much of a coincidence not to be the awning. I think there is less leverage on the roof if the awning legs are detached from the van and put to the ground, especially when roping down. As I mentioned before I also use roof supports on the awning side....can't hurt!

Cheers
Burnsy,

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
What exactly do you use as roof supports Burnsy?? Any chance of a photo?

Thanks

Bill
Agree Bill, and like I said in bigmans thread it seems too much of a coincidence not to be the awning. I think there is less leverage on the roof if the awning legs are detached from the van and put to the ground, especially when roping down. As I mentioned before I also use roof supports on the awning side....can't hurt!

Cheers
Burnsy,

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Here you go Bill,

It's telescopic, adjustable and made from aluminium, you just twist to lock. I usually put in place before i put my awning out....if i remember to!
KB's pics 001.jpg

Cheers

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I also noticed earlier on that my roof when folded back down didn`t line up with the clips. I had a bit of a panic attack thinking I`d just bought a lemon. I put this up on a thread here earlier on. Basically I was on a very slight angle. When I folded the roof down I pulled the front down first, then the back down second. Putting the front down first was enough for the weight of the roof to shift back a little. Making a long story short, I simply jacked the van up higher at the front, popped the roof back up then down again folding it down at the rear end first, followed by the front end. This was enough to shift the roof back in the opposite direction.

Morale of the story. Try and raise and lower the roof on level ground OR get someone at the other end and raise and lower both ends at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
As mentioned here earlier, I too noticed the same thing happens on the awning side. It`s a little more resistance popping the roof at the awning side. I`v`e also made tthe mistake of not unlocking the awning before raising the roof. This shifts the roof a little too.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Since picking up our van I insist on making sure that when it needs to be lifted or lowered that I have someone help, so that both sides are done at the same time...

If only due to the obvious stress this's places on the awning by trying to wind it out by the very extremety of one end only, think about when you pull the awning out, do you do it from one of the ends or from the middle?

Opening or closing roof one end at a time is a big big no no if you ask me... Regardless of what the jayco say, and 100% certainly if you have an awning attached to it..

Just my 2 cents worth.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
yeah just to clarify, it has noved moved length ways its moved to one side. And no matter which way you lift or lower the roof it doesn't change. I am thinking its either awning weight or I was thinking today that it could have shifted over whilst travelling due to the camber of the road.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Have you tried the method I used to correct the roof when positioned too far length ways?

Perhaps you may have some luck if your van is tilted more to the side. Perhaps park it one side on the road the other up on the nature strip. Raise and lower the roof and see if the weight shifts and maybe corrects itself.

Worth a try!

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Burnsy, those roof supports look pretty good, being adjustable. Where did you get them, or are they something else you have cut down?

Cheers

John

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Burnsy, those roof supports look pretty good, being adjustable. Where did you get them, or are they something else you have cut down?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I bought them from Jayco, about $12-$13 ea from memory. There is also a phone number on the label... Pop Top Support- Supex Products 1800 805 826 maybe they could post!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi John,

I bought them from Jayco, about $12-$13 ea from memory. There is also a phone number on the label... Pop Top Support- Supex Products 1800 805 826 maybe they could post!

I have had this problem since day one. The dealer told me to always lower the roof without the awning under tension Which is a bloody pain. Opening and closing of level makes it worse. I always use those extension poles mentioned above but they do buggerall for this problem. Iam awaiting another round with the dealer but IMO the only remedy is to fit a set of scissor lift brackets as fitted to Rapids and other pop tops. They do not allow any lateral movement at all.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have had this problem since day one. The dealer told me to always lower the roof without the awning under tension Which is a bloody pain. Opening and closing of level makes it worse. I always use those extension poles mentioned above but they do buggerall for this problem. Iam awaiting another round with the dealer but IMO the only remedy is to fit a set of scissor lift brackets as fitted to Rapids and other pop tops. They do not allow any lateral movement at all.

Your probably right about the scissor lifts Jim, they used to be on the old jaycos....maybe they need to bring back some old ideas!