17' Series Please don't pick on the new kid!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
A normal 7 pin has the pin (dont know the number) available for the brake controller to activate the van brakes, but you need to have the controller installed in the tow vehicle.

Also, my little tip for towing, along with the other great tips above, is to always stop 100m (or after exiting the caravan park) and do another full walk-around and check of hitch, chains, gas off, door locked, pop up roof secured etc etc. Better to be safe than sorry!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Smergen
as stated above - your 7 pin trailer plug on your Falcon and Commondoor "should" have a pin for the Trailer brakes / service brakes / electric brakes
but if you dont have a controller in your car - nothing will be connected to that pin
please see pic's below

round 7 pin
7-pin-round-connector.jpg
flat 7 pin
7-pin- flat-connector.jpg

12 pin Jayco
jayco_Flat 12 Pin_4.jpg

as you can see how the pins are "supposed" to be.....

does this help?

Attachments

• _Flat 12 Pin_4.jpg
    _Flat 12 Pin_4.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 353

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Smergen I was quoted $350-$400 supplied and fitted by an auto sparkie. Not sure if that is good or bad as I bought mine for $129 online, got some wire & terminals out of the shed and wired it up myself in about an hour and a half.

The hardest part I found was pulling the car apart and working out what wire/s in the vehicle were the correct ones.

If you are not 100% sure of what to do I would recommend getting a sparkie or confident friend to do it.

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Smergen I was quoted $350-$400 supplied and fitted by an auto sparkie. Not sure if that is good or bad as I bought mine for $129 online, got some wire & terminals out of the shed and wired it up myself in about an hour and a half.

The hardest part I found was pulling the car apart and working out what wire/s in the vehicle were the correct ones.

If you are not 100% sure of what to do I would recommend getting a sparkie or confident friend to do it.

Thanks @dagree yeah I reckon I'll call in the experts if it doesn't look straight forward.

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@bigcol - any idea on how much it might cost to fit a brake control kit? Is it a DIY thing, or should I send it to a pro?

unfortunately @Smergen I dont know of any Auto Electricians in Victoria, nor if a good cheap one in Renmark is close to where you are....
dont know Victoria at all - haven't been there since early '70s

as @dagree said, unless your happy with doing the wiring - I always go for a professional, that way if there is a problem down the track, you have no problems
the cost of DIY is cheap if its right - the cost when DIY goes wrong is a lot of heartache

over here we have Deerings Autos - large enough chain
I had them fit the 12 pin (because I wanted to keep the round 7 pin) - as I already had the controller fitted
when I picked up the van - it didnt "feel" right - the brake controller was not working
went back to Deerings - about 2 weeks after fitting the 12 pin
they checked it out
1 broken live wire to controller - (bugga)
still not working
1 broken earth wire to controller - (bugga)
still not working
elect controller wire to 12 pin - not connected - (phew, they paying now)
apprentice forgot to screw in the last wire - for the controller

all up - 2 1/2 hours = no charge as they did the original job - and it was all new wires now..........

my advice? take it to a reputable professional

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Flat pin / round pin; you can get them changed without any hassle from one to the other.

Good tip about stopping after the first 100 m or so. I took that tip from an old salt once and it's proven great advice.

Reactions: relgate and bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
thanks @bigcol I'll have a look around here and see what I can find in terms of a good auto elec. You never know, I may buy a rig that has the functionality all kitted out. Quite a few of the ones I'm looking at quote "trailer brakes" or "electronic brake controller". Whilst it might not be exactly right, if most of the wiring is in, and I have to change a plug, that should be in my skillset.

And sounds like I might lock in the "100m stop after start" rule...

Reactions: bigcol

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
thanks @bigcol I'll have a look around here and see what I can find in terms of a good auto elec. You never know, I may buy a rig that has the functionality all kitted out. Quite a few of the ones I'm looking at quote "trailer brakes" or "electronic brake controller". Whilst it might not be exactly right, if most of the wiring is in, and I have to change a plug, that should be in my skillset.

And sounds like I might lock in the "100m stop after start" rule...
I`ve got a great autoelec mate here in Ballarat If you are interested you can pm me and I will give you his details. Top work and well priced.

Reactions: bigcol

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@Smergen

I have an excellent Auto Electrician here in Kyneton. Let me know if you want his details.

He recommended and fitted the Tekonsha P3 (proportional brake controller) to the Land Cruiser, along with the Anderson Plug, low voltage solenoid, circuit breakers, etc. He does not use the vehicle manufacture's towing wiring loom for the electric brakes - he only uses 6mm square cable from the brake controller to the pin 5 on the tow plug (7 pin round/flat or 12 pin flat). He says that all the problems he has seen with electric brakes are due to bad earths and small cables that cause voltage drops over the distance to the rear of the vehicle. Also, he does not wire the brake controller to the brake light circuit, but directly to the brake switch, so it works correctly with the cruise control or if you activate the van's braking by the controller, deactivates the cruise control.

Here is a diagram of my vehicle & van wiring.

ronems-vehicle-wiring-diagram-v1-png.png

ronems-wiring-diagram-v3-jpg.jpg

Cheers,

Ro

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@Smergen,

When looking at Brake Controllers, there are two types - proportional (apply more voltage as you brake harder) or fixed (applies the same voltage).

There have been many "religious wars" over which type of controller is better, so do your research here and on other forums and make sure you ask lots of questions.

I prefer to use a proportional controller as they change the voltage to the van based on your braking force. If you brake hard, then a higher voltage is applied to the van's elec. brakes. If you touch the brakes slightly, then only a small voltage.

A fixed controller is just that, a fixed voltage is applied to the van's brakes, but can be adjusted manually. When you are travelling on a highway, you will adjust the controller to send a higher voltage to apply the brakes a bit harder, but when you get into a town or driving at slower speeds, you typically need to turn the voltage down again - if you don't you might find the van's brakes being applied too aggressively and having the van's brakes/wheels lockup.

Again, this is just personal option and preference.

There have been some horror stories about buying cars with an existing brake controller installed, due to some dodgy work. Check wiring, age, etc.

When we were looking for a new tow vehicle, I found the dealer only wanted to fir the RedArc fixed brake controller as it is a small know and LED that fits into a spare switch panel on the dash. Again, I wanted a proportional controller, the dears would not fit them, so I had my Auto Elec do it.

Hope this helps

Ro

Reactions: Dandy

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
@Smergen

I have an excellent Auto Electrician here in Kyneton. Let me know if you want his details.

He recommended and fitted the Tekonsha P3 (proportional brake controller) to the Land Cruiser, along with the Anderson Plug, low voltage solenoid, circuit breakers, etc. He does not use the vehicle manufacture's towing wiring loom for the electric brakes - he only uses 6mm square cable from the brake controller to the pin 5 on the tow plug (7 pin round/flat or 12 pin flat). He says that all the problems he has seen with electric brakes are due to bad earths and small cables that cause voltage drops over the distance to the rear of the vehicle. Also, he does not wire the brake controller to the brake light circuit, but directly to the brake switch, so it works correctly with the cruise control or if you activate the van's braking by the controller, deactivates the cruise control.

Here is a diagram of my vehicle & van wiring.

ronems-vehicle-wiring-diagram-v1-png.png

ronems-wiring-diagram-v3-jpg.jpg

Cheers,

Ro

All I Can Say is Holy Sh@t, it looks like the wiring for the space shuttle. to much for me to think about, but must say a well drawn diagram for those that can decipher it this late in the day after a couple of cans.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
All I Can Say is Holy Sh@t, it looks like the wiring for the space shuttle. to much for me to think about, but must say a well drawn diagram for those that can decipher it this late in the day after a couple of cans.

You should see the version that started as a good idea over a few cans and finished with a few bottles of Cab Sav! :becky: