17' Series Please don't pick on the new kid!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Good choice of van mate.

No such thing as a silly question here. Everyone is helpful and polite so don't be shy, ask away!

Which ever car you buy to tow with though, go to an auto electrician recommended by a Jayco dealer to get your brake controller fitted plus relays etc done so you don't flatten your battery. Take care setting up the tow hitch and WDH if you go that way too. It's important.

Welcome to the 17 ft club!

Last edited:
Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Good choice of van mate.

No such thing as a silly question here. Everyone is helpful and polite so don't be shy, ask away!

Which ever car you buy to tow with though, go to an auto electrician recommended by a Jayco dealer to get your brake controller fitted plus relays etc done so you don't flatten your battery. Take care setting up the tow hitch and WDH if you go that way too. It's important.

Welcome to the 17 ft club!

Thanks mate, very impressed with the level of contribution in this forum, it's outstanding. Good tip also on Auto-Elec, and I might drop into Jayco on Saturday and check what they recommend.

Sometimes it feels like we've bitten off more than we can chew, but I'm sure when the dust settles, it'll be worth it!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Just don't rush when you hook up your van to tow it.

I always get my wife to follow me around the van starting at the hitch ensuring the pin is in and so on. Duplicate inspection, a bit OCD, typical of my profession but never forget that if your 2 tonne van comes off the hitch, the consequences could be catastrophic. Be methodical, use a checklist if you have to.

Relax, enjoy it. If you find yourself in a park and you are unsure of something about your van, ask someone who has a van like yours. Most vanners are happy to help. We all started towing sometime!

It's great fun!

Reactions: relgate and Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Talk about impulse buying... no car to tow it with, and now have just realised that the 17ft is around 200-300mm too tall to fit through the roller door of my shed where we were going to store it! :beaten:

So... a few "modifications" to the backyard are going to be required!

Reactions: Cheyne78

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@Smergen,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great choice of model. We love our 17.56-2 OB and hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as we have.

You will learn so much from this forum by asking questions, nothing is off limits (well almost1!)

Cheers,

Ro

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Awesome tip @Bank of Dad... I'm never in too much of a rush to check connections. Whenever I've towed loads in the trailer (be it camping gear or a load to the tip) I'm always checking the shackles twice and getting the kids to check the lights whilst I'm at the front. Get's them involved which is something we're very big on.

Reactions: Bank of Dad

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Smergen,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great choice of model. We love our 17.56-2 OB and hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as we have.

Thanks ROnEM. Really looking forward to this next phase of life and we will be planning on getting out and about as much as possible.

I see you aren't actually that far from us, maybe we'll cross paths along the Calder one day...

Reactions: ROnEM

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Which ever car you buy to tow with though, go to an auto electrician recommended by a Jayco dealer to get your brake controller fitted plus relays etc done so you don't flatten your battery.

Good Advice from @Bank of Dad ! ! ! !

my preference would be the Tekonsha - similar to this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TEKONSHA...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad093247f

I know alot of people like the Redarc - like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDARC-E...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3ead879c

because of the limited space in the Drivers position, however, the Redarc does not have the emergency slide for the brake like the Tekonsha ones...
how it works is as you push it along - it increases the brake force on the wheel to brake harder in an emergency - but only in an emergency, never use it for normal braking.

if you go to a reputable Auto Elec chain - (like here in WA I use Deerings) that way if you have problems, ring up the shop that fitted, and they can tell you where to go (?) if your in some other part of the state......

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... time to go into some noob questions here then....

@bigcol & @Bank of Dad - You talk about the trailer braking... Now obviously the Expanda has electric brakes fitted. So to actually get these to operate correctly, you need to get the socket on your car changed to a 12 pin? Is that correct? I've only ever towed larger loads that had the old school hydraulic break on the A frame.

If I pick up a truck that has the 12 pin adaptor, will this suffice or do I need to install another brake controller like @bigcol suggests? What exactly do these units do?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
okies......... caravan braking 101

most "normal" trailers and older Caravans have the old 7 pin plug
left indicator
right indicator
park lights
brake lights
neutral
power
electric brakes

then you would probably have a 2 pin "Anderson" plug to power the Van on 12V and help run the fridge while driving

with the new Jayco's they have gone to the 12 pin with all of the above, PLUS
Live feed (for fridge)
and negative return
live feed to Batteries on board
and negative return

which sort of does away with the Anderson plug

when you get your Brake Controller fitted and the 12 pin plug, your CAR can now activate the electric brakes to assist you in stopping, without it - try stopping a 2t moving object............

the idea is to leave the existing 7 pin (incase you want to tow a trailer) and get the 12 pin fitted separately

the old Hydraulic brakes are as antiquated as drum brakes....... effective eventually, but no where near as good as Electric Brakes

confused yet???????
I certainly am.......

Reactions: dagree and Smergen

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
If you fit a 12 pin flat plug, it will take a 7 pin flat plug. Trust me, I do it all the time.

Your 12 pin is made up of 7 small and 5 larger pins. Just stick your 7 pin into the row of 7 holes. It works!

I have the 12 pin and don't have an Anderson plug. I find it works just fine. It runs my fridge and charges the battery no dramas. I have relays and in-fuses that stop the fridge flattening the battery when the car is shut down.

If you want to tow a trailer with a round 7 pin, you can use an adapter.

Reactions: Matty4 and Smergen

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
just on hitching up, and i have done it a few times now with work and pleasure, i make it a rule THAT ONLY I DO IT, you will get plenty who want to do it for you, but my experiences things get missed, i thought u did it!
( when ur mate hold the clip open and you wind it down and on and he didn't let the clip go over . off the boat comes through the back window)
you do it, then you know, then you take responsibility ( and don't feel bad, and ur mate don't feel guilty) , and by all means have the wife check it as per bank of dad's advice.

ps don't forget the "rated shackles"

oh and ps, same rule on the boat bungs

Reactions: dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Welcome @Smergen I have a thread related to storage as do some of the others....when in doubt get the angle grinder out is my motto.......

I'll go searching for it mate, thanks for the tip. Nearly had to get the angle grinder out for the clothes line but I came up with a nifty little idea to get it unstuck... If I knew how to post a pic, I'd upload it here.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
just on hitching up, and i have done it a few times now with work and pleasure, i make it a rule THAT ONLY I DO IT, you will get plenty who want to do it for you, but my experiences things get missed, i thought u did it!
( when ur mate hold the clip open and you wind it down and on and he didn't let the clip go over . off the boat comes through the back window)
you do it, then you know, then you take responsibility ( and don't feel bad, and ur mate don't feel guilty) , and by all means have the wife check it as per bank of dad's advice.

ps don't forget the "rated shackles"

oh and ps, same rule on the boat bungs

I hear you. If I'm driving, I check eveything. Afterall, I'm going to be the one who cops it if the long arm of the law comes looking.

Great tip!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@bigcol - thanks for the braking description... I'm going to go and have a check of the two cars at home just for learning sake. I know that the Falcon has a flat pin, whilst the commodore has a round pin. You mention that the standard set up has an "electric brake" pin... That won't suffice to operate the brakes on the expanda?

@Bank of Dad - I'll keep that in mind if I'm upgrading the connection point on any rig I upgrade to.