Starcraft Picking up new Van

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Hi Guys,
I am flying down to Melbourne to pick up my New (to me anyway) 2013 - Jayco Starcraft 16.67-1
We are picking it up from Geelong & are going to drive it back to Brisbane.
We are going to be travelling back by the the Newell Hwy, does anyone know of any good free camps near Shepparton or Cobram to stay at on the way to Brisbane?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: FiveInAVan

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Got it with the Steering wheel option !! - just kidding
Have sent my car down on a car carrier today & pick it up next friday when i fly in, was going to hire a car down there but it got to be too expensive & to much hassle - couldn't afford to take to many days off work either with Holidays coming up.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @DLT
ofcourse we will want a full run down of the trip home,
plus all the little incidentals
like - options on the Van
good points
bad points
how it towed
what you towed it with
where you stayed
what you looked at on the way home
etc

Reactions: Delano and dagree

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Big Col - The van is pretty much a standard Touring Model, small fridge + cupboard mounted A/C - i think that the only option box that the ticked was for the battery pack!
As for options we plan on doing
- a spring over on the Suspension
- adding a Solar set up (not sure whether to go a permanent or a folding as yet)
- electric water pump (Brand new Shur-Flo that i have sitting on my tool box that i never fitted to the Swan)
- Couple of Shade Cloth Walls + an Anti-Flap Kit
- LED Strip light under the awning

I think that will probably do us for a while until we get used to the set up & see what we like / dont like.
Towing wise I have a 2013 Triton 4WD D/C - so it should drag it along ok.
Will give you a run down on the trip after when we get back - where we stay will depend on what time we can et out of Jayco at Geelong & how far we get back up to Brisbane before we get to tired.
Bought the Van site unseen as originally we were looking at a 17.58 -1 but no-one could supply before our Christmas Holidays & we saw this + it looked brand new - fingers crossed!

Reactions: bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi Guys,
I am flying down to Melbourne to pick up my New (to me anyway) 2013 - Jayco Starcraft 16.67-1
We are picking it up from Geelong & are going to drive it back to Brisbane.
We are going to be travelling back by the the Newell Hwy, does anyone know of any good free camps near Shepparton or Cobram to stay at on the way to Brisbane?
Thanks in advance
we live very close to freeway western side of melb we are 40min from geelong you will be driving past if its a bit late you are most welcome to park in my driveway for the night before heading off van would easy fit in carport with car on as my 1756-2 dose its behind the gates anyway its up to you if you need my place its there to easy 4 mins from freeway ,,,,, from my house one set of traffic lights then freeway not another traffic light till Shepparton ask geelong jayco about there very good privacy screens better than standard jayco ones they have them made there great no need for better screens if you have them

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks for the offer Bluey,
but we are going to try to get a bit of driving done on Friday so its not too much of a drive Saturday.
Have to be back Saturday as someone is coming to pick up the Swan first up Sunday morning.
Going to be a busy weekend i think.
Cheers

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks for the offer Bluey,
but we are going to try to get a bit of driving done on Friday so its not too much of a drive Saturday.
Have to be back Saturday as someone is coming to pick up the Swan first up Sunday morning.
Going to be a busy weekend i think.
Cheers
yes it will be busy my only advice in Melbourne get on the M80 ring road early not long after lunch if you left it much later you could be in a car park its our road to the hume after 230 ,,,3 I wouldn't bother to much traffic so if your at geelong early you should be fine but remember lifes not worth risking if your tired so be careful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Delano

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Slightly off track - What is everybody's opinions on whether a fixed or portable Solar Panels is a better option?
It will really only be needed to power the LED lights so i don't think that I need anything to massive

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi. Depends on whether there is solar provision on van....not sure if it was done for 2013 model.

If so, easy to put a panel on roof which will keep battery charged for lights etc...and will charge as you trundle along.

If not, easy to install a portable panel direct to battery with regulator, to keep all charging when parked.

Have fun!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Slightly off track - What is everybody's opinions on whether a fixed or portable Solar Panels is a better option?
It will really only be needed to power the LED lights so i don't think that I need anything to massive
It does depend on your requirements. If you camp up for a few days or more a portable may be the go as you can park your van in the shade but still put the panels in the sun. If doing just overnighters while touring then roof mounted panels would be preferred as the van is only parked at night but is collecting sunlight all day while driving. :bolt:

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Hi Guys,
Our Camping tends to be a couple of days in the same place so i am leaning toward a portable Solar Panel i think - was thinking around the 160W mark - should be more than enough to power the lights i would think?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds sensible.

The only other thing to consider, apart from regulator connected directly to battery, is the weight of a larger panel or pair of panels.

They can be quite heavy and difficult to carry with safety and unwieldy. I'd definately check out the size, weight and how and where you want to transport them before I made a final decision.

The flexible ones are coming down in price and would definately be easier to carry.