Outback v Standard question

foldtrip

Feb 6, 2011
perth
Hi
We are researching a trip around Australia... The question is, do we need an outback model expanda, or will a standard version do?

The most I imagine we would do on an unsealed road would be the 25k trip into Karrinjini or similar, but mainly free camping and caravan parks would be the norm...

We would be interested in opinions on whether an Outback version is totally necessary

Many thanks
Dave

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Gday Dave if your just sticking to the black top my thoughts are a std version would do the trick but the beauty of an outback version is you have that flexability if you do want to venture off road and see more where others with std vand cant go ..

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Like most people I always thought a standard version would be fine and it probably would be. But in saying that, an outback can go anywhere a standard can but a standard may not necessarily go everywhere an outback can. In other words you wont turn around down the track and regret getting an outback. Like most people, I think I`ll probably stick to sealed roads and van parks, but it is nice to have the option for some unsealed roads and free camp areas where the tracks aren't quite as suitable for the standard versions.

I thought the same for the solar panels, batteries and double water tanks. I may not need them but then again may come in handy down the track.

In saying all that, anyone with any Expanda is lucky. A great mobile holiday house.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
I towed my parents standard Jayco Discovery on the weekend and it scraped the driveway leaving the servo. I've never done that in my outback.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I towed my parents standard Jayco Discovery on the weekend and it scraped the driveway leaving the servo. I've never done that in my outback.

yes, for that reason alone I'm glad I got it. I still scrape a little on my driveway with the OB. I would not be able to get in with a standard.
Other option, of course, is to get the standard and get it underslung. Cheaper option, and you dont pay for larger chassis, checkerplate etc. Dont need these unless you actually go bush.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Like most people I always thought a standard version would be fine and it probably would be. But in saying that, an outback can go anywhere a standard can but a standard may not necessarily go everywhere an outback can. In other words you wont turn around down the track and regret getting an outback. Like most people, I think I`ll probably stick to sealed roads and van parks, but it is nice to have the option for some unsealed roads and free camp areas where the tracks aren't quite as suitable for the standard versions.

I thought the same for the solar panels, batteries and double water tanks. I may not need them but then again may come in handy down the track.

In saying all that, anyone with any Expanda is lucky. A great mobile holiday house.

My Grandma always says
"Better to have and not want, than to want and not have."

(usually referring to me refusing to take a jumper)

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
outback here too, higher, shocks that help absorb bumps even just on the black top, although that being said if $$ is a restriction i would spend the upgrade to outback cost on a hot water system, outside shower, AC, 12 v system and most important a gas bayonette connection on the draw bar for the BBQ!!
Good luck either way, cheers

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Dave, if money's not tight go the outback especially if towing with a 4B! You wont loose in value pro rata in comparison to onroad.

Cheers.

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
Hi,Underslung would be the minimum(Ours is,sort of,but thats another thread) as scraping on driveway etc is annoying to say the least.If We had Our time again We would go the outback option without a doubt.

jindiman

Feb 16, 2012
Hi All

We have just gotten back from a trip from down south to Longreach on the black top and then to Birdsville for the races on the Thomson Dev Road and then Birdsville dev road and then to marree on the birdsville track and then upto william creek and accross to coober pedy so over 1,000ks on dirt and all in a std16:49:3 and only destroyd the hard pvc waste pipes so just drive to the road conditions and what you got and my stock standed Kia Sorentodid good too with only a cracked windscreen to show for it and averaged 15.5 ltr/100. It was one hell of a trip (not a trip from hell) and have been well and truly bitten by the bug

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
If you can afford it, go the Outback. It opens up so much more, especially as you say you will do some free camping. There are some fantastic free camp spots that are so much easier to get to with the OB. :yo:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
We picked standard to keep weight down.

As for scraping I dont get it often as long as I plan to drive across the dip where possible. The Outback really isnt designed to go Off Road as in off the dirt road etc. Standard hasnt restricted us and if I wanted to go off road, I wouldnt pick Jayco - not really up to the job on a long term basis!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi gordonm. The height differs depending on options. Is it standard or outback? Any air conditioner? How are you going to go with your suspension?
I have a feeling that the jayco website have some stats. Try there.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
According to the 2012 brochure the travel height of the 18' varies from 2085mm to 3010mm plus 200mm extra for the Outback. This includes the roof hatch and tv antenna. No mention of A/C height.