Our Expanda is nice and cosy under foot now.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Decided with some winter trips to carpet the van. Been going to do it for a while as even when at the beach we found the carpet pieces better under foot.

Wife made a template with brown paper and I cut the carpet out. Its Bunning’s rubber backed "Hobnail" carpet.

VanCarpet2_zps19ed108f.jpg

VanCarpet1_zps3b57185b.jpg

VanCarpet3_zpsf8df26be.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks all, its 2 pieces wanted to be able to remove it easily. used 2.5 m of carpet . you could do it one piece, you would use 4m of carpet.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Just adjacent to the sink. Being ligth rubber backed it sat down okay, but have some double sided tape if need be.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
maccayak and Burnsy
Mrs XF says to tell the girls that their worries are misplaced. Maybe revisit the "What do you put on the floor?" thread?

We spend SIX WEEKS (semi) free camping on a sandy site at the beach every summer. Our carpet decision arose from that experience and that was decades and three vans ago! Nothing worse IMHO than gritty sand underfoot (bare feet) on vinyl flooring. Or when it's really hot the sandy, gritty, sticky feeling. A small stiff brush and dustpan or 12v auto vacuum cleaner for DAILY cleaning takes no longer than sweeping the vinyl. The thermal/sound insulation effect works all year round.

If you see my earlier posts you'll also note that we always select light coloured pile carpet as well (as we do at home) It's brighter and maintains the feel of space in the 18.57-7. Looks cleaner for longer than darker colours, pile holds sand and grit away from feet. Rare dirty marks addressed with Vanish Preen powerpowder large area carpet cleaner.

We get the seconds or off cuts from house lots at a big carpet distributor. Good quality at heavy discount. Current lot (2 pcs) $80 with enough leftover to make some mats.

Even the rusted on cynics have to admit it's a good idea once they actually visit and see it in action.
394944779.495312.png

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
We just did the same. One piece of carpet cost us $90 from a carpet shop near us. Mike did a great job fitting it around the tables etc and the van feels warmer already.

Reactions: Xpandafan

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
We did the same too. Industrial carpet obtained from work after the floods. Makes the van so much warmer and easy on the feet. In wet times we use old towels in the main walking areas.
Thanks Deano
P2030094.jpg
P2030095.jpg
P2030096.jpg

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
What great jobs, will definitely be doing something similar when our Sport is off the production line. Hubby was looking at carpet squares so we can rotate any wear and tear spots or replace any that get stained. Love the idea of carpet on the floor, has to improve warmth and help to deaden that hollow sound inside of some vans.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yep... It is still on my list to do this, but am going to look at the inside step and see if I can replace it for a checker plate version. I can't stand the plastic.