Our Expanda- from mild to WILD

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
When I went from slippers it made a heap of difference, bit of stuffing around cutting the old hangers off, make sure you lift the van as high as you can nothing worse than getting helmet caught up when welding....I put the hangers onto a length of angle then stuck it onto the chassis and measured and triangulated things about 40 times, was never so glad when a job was finished than that one I can tell you...

Used Alko 2t springs with greasable pins and found that combined with the new tyres and rims gave me the height and I could put the axle back on top as I had rolled it under with the oldset up.
Havent decided on what weight springs to fit yet but will be alko outbacks(come std with greasable pins) and yeah, will mount them on angle and weld to chasis. And quite possible ill be able to roll axle back over.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It was my 14.44.3 Expanda it was maxxed at 1800kg so I thought the 2t was plenty, up the rims to 7" instead of 6", steel ROH which gave me about 200kg more load than the originals and upped the tyres to 225 70's, made a hell of a change to the ride and general on road behaviour.
Just have to make sure you get the hangers position right so everything is square, I measured an equal distance from a centre point on hitch back along the draw bar to under the van on both sides and used those 2 points as a datum to mark the position of the axle and hangars, I did a plumb bob drop and marked the chassis at the position of the old axle before I pulled it off and used that to position the new axle as well, had fears of being off just enough for the wheel to hit on compression................by sheer luck it all worked okay, had it set up, measured from my datum points a little tap on the axle to get it just so, tighten up U bolts, it didn't even show any scrubbing on the first trip, was better than a new one.................I'm still amazed years later, more than luck shear arsee , I reckon.... I measured each bit about 6 times and had so many clamps holding stuff in position, even kept measuring after a few tacks, drove me nuts and I was a nervous wreck by the end of it.

I did find that my van wasn't actually square, axle and chassis were good but the body wasn't.....just used chassis for squaring things up.

Went the 2t springs as I thought any higher would be harder and possibly be harsher on the body, in the end van come out good, the height was great with good clearance and the whole rig looked way better than before with a rolled axle.

Reactions: bigcol

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Put alloy checker plate on over the last week, gee it changes the look of vans. Still got the front to do but that can wait till I build a new box/re design the draw bar.
Alloy used is 1.5mm propellor plate, measured up what widths I needed and had it pre cut, then I only had to cut angles, holes etc.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
Removed rear bar from van to fit checker plate and while its off Ill build the drop down spare tyre carrier.
Think after seeing this, Ill junk the whole thing and build a new one from scratch.
Both sides like this. Previous owner had a bike rack fitted to draw bar.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Jayco wiring is consistent I see hasn't changed in years..................I like the alloy work really looks good, Big Mal has it down the side but at the front has padded vinyl chekca and it's looking a bit sad, would like to replace with alloy but the vinyl actually fits under the trim so some serious thought on How needs to be done, the scary part is just buy a sheet a cut out the boot section so not something to make a mistake with.

Check in real time what each wire does as the printed ID is not always correct as I found out once upon a time, disconnected, went and started on the mod and flash, tagged ID was wrong.......should have known better.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Yes , re wired one wire at a time to see what powered up.
Ill be removing vinyl off front, half hanging out anyway along bottom.
I must say going from my old 96 van to this 2004 one that bar the frame/outside, the internal furniture, wiring, plumbing etc is absolutely rubbish. Nothing I cant sort out but boy, wouldnt buy new built like this.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But it's great fun isn't it ???...............I'm thinking of that extrusion that has a small channel which I could slot the edge of the cheka plate into for the top and bottom with a precision fit along the sides with a silastic bead, spray glued to wall panel, the precision fit on the side has me worried though.......but be awhile Diesel heater, new tyres are higher up on the list yet....then a trip to WA....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha, I had a look at the rear tyre rack on Big Mal the other day and your set up is way more substantial and it carries a 265 75 6, a big heavy wheel....on the rack I made I used the end of a shockie for the hinge makes a good vibration damper.
When I pulled the rear bar off to add some braces the rails were 10 mm out and required some effort to spread them to fit the chassis channels, such precision from Jayco again.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Made up a slam latch catch for carrier. Added alittle strength to catch bracket(welded some 5mm plate to front, see picture). Just gotta prep ready for painting(i just roughly spray some undercoat on as i finish for day to stop rusting)

Reactions: Eddii and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nicely done, do you think the mild steel pad bolt might wear in time, what about a tab to hold the top of the pad bolt in place in case the spring craps out down the track ??????.................only saying as I had a spring on similar catch years ago break and tyre rack was flying around on back of Nissan......

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Nicely done, do you think the mild steel pad bolt might wear in time, what about a tab to hold the top of the pad bolt in place in case the spring craps out down the track ??????.................only saying as I had a spring on similar catch years ago break and tyre rack was flying around on back of Nissan......
Totally agree, I was hesitant at buying that catch but it was the biggest/heaviest duty one they had.
Movement is what usually wears stuff out and there is no movement whats so ever it the arm or catch now but Ill keep my eye on it(and keep my eye out for a stronger catch). If the bottom parts does wear and Im away from a welder, there is near 25mm more 'pin' that can drop down(under pressure from spring) so I could snip end off with bush key(cordless angle grinder) and continue on.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The biggest hassle with them is when you get to camp and go to drop the thing only to be reminded of that water cart that was on the road earlier, take gloves.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
image.jpeg
Havent done much to van last few weeks, the man flu knocked me down pretty bad.
But was sick of laying around so had a bit of a go today.
Replaced the taillights with a set of LED brand LED's, used this brand exclusively and never had a issue.
Finally painted rear bar, still in shed but next fine day I might get van out and fit bar.
Also, just for fun ripped the carpet out around step and put some checker plate in. Got plenty of off cuts to play with, not sure if Ill leave it or roll up a single piece with rounded corners.