Our 16.49 3 OB has arrived

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Received phone call from Jayco Canberra this afternoon advising that our new Expanda 16.49 3 OB has arrived. We ordered it at the Sydney (Rosehill) Show in April when we were told it wouldn't arrive until September. We have been patiently waiting, looking at this wonderful forum getting ideas etc. Can not agree more with comments about the friendliness, wealth of information etc.

Because I have asked for the ESC unit to be fitted before I take delivery, was tossing up when we first signed up but then missed our sign off date, they have said handover will not be until next week, and as Jayco has a sale starting next Thursday they are not doing any handovers then, and as we cannot do it on the Wednesday, we are booked into MONDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER. (What is another week after so long!!)

As we had already booked to go to Tassie (with our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter) at the end of Sept for 2 weeks and due to family commitments etc between now and then, it doesn't look like we will get away in it until the end of October. On the upside it gives me to time to look at doing some mods, shelves, TV mount etc.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Congratulations @BruceD, not long to go as you say, after waiting so long. Don't forget to post up some pics after pickup and keep us informed of your mods. Tassie sounds like a good shakedown trip, how long are you planning on travelling?

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Received phone call from Jayco Canberra this afternoon advising that our new Expanda 16.49 3 OB has arrived. We ordered it at the Sydney (Rosehill) Show in April when we were told it wouldn't arrive until September. We have been patiently waiting, looking at this wonderful forum getting ideas etc. Can not agree more with comments about the friendliness, wealth of information etc.

Because I have asked for the ESC unit to be fitted before I take delivery, was tossing up when we first signed up but then missed our sign off date, they have said handover will not be until next week, and as Jayco has a sale starting next Thursday they are not doing any handovers then, and as we cannot do it on the Wednesday, we are booked into MONDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER. (What is another week after so long!!)

As we had already booked to go to Tassie (with our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter) at the end of Sept for 2 weeks and due to family commitments etc between now and then, it doesn't look like we will get away in it until the end of October. On the upside it gives me to time to look at doing some mods, shelves, TV mount etc.

Hi BruceD,

Congrats on your new expanda!!

I'm pretty sure your going to be dreaming about its very first outing...

Oh, and before I forget, good to see another Canberran on this forum.

Cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
That is exciting news. Dont forget it is compulsory to post up photos of the handover like this...
hook up.jpg

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Thanks everyone, we are really looking forward to getting the van.
Chartrock, unfortunately we aren't taking the van to Tassie. It is milestone birthdays this year for both my wife and daughter, and they decided that it would be nice to do a family holiday, especially as we now have a granddaughter as well. Everybody decided that we should go to Tassie and as we want two berths, one with a cot, I booked the Spirt of Tasmania ages ago. We have two public holidays, Monday's, a week apart in the ACT and this decided when were going. Jayco originally mentioned that the van might not be ready until the end of October so it all fitted. Now that the van is here it gets left behind, as I have now booked accommodation as well. Next time.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome @BruceD. You could still post some Tassie pics for us.
It's a destination well worth re-visiting and very RV friendly. We're taking our Expanda next time.

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Went out to have a look at the van this morning but unfortunately it was in the workshop having things done to it ECS etc. Due to OH&S the were reluctant to let us in to have a look. After I got on my knees to beg they said we could go inside for a minute, which they were true to their words because no sooner had we got inside then they were ushering us out.

Looks great. Been so long since we ordered, and as Jayco Canberra have not had our model in the showroom, we forgot what was included etc. We get outside speakers (which we didn't know we were) not as much bench space as we thought (can get around this) and the solid rear bumber. That is all that we got time to look at before we were sent back out of the workshop.

Handover is still Monday 2nd Sept. I had a quick look at their work schedule and for this week and the next three weeks they were virtually fully booked for doing handovers (they are not doing any next Thurs/Fri as they have a sale on) it was about 30 caravans so far for the 4 week (minus 2 days) period. Not too bad.

P8220351.jpg
P8220352.jpg
P8220353.jpg
P8220354.jpg

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Well today was the day. We were booked in for handover at 10:00am at Jayco Canberra. Very happy with the service / explanation by their rep. We were there until about 1:00 going through everything. We hitched up and while the car was sitting fairly level I decided that I would go with a WDH. I was going to intsall it myself later but Frank Lustri, the salesperson we have been dealing with, came out and preceeded to install it for me. He took it as an oportunity to show a new employee in their shop how to do it. Glad they did as he also showed me. Because of this we didn't get away until after 2:00. They also assisted me in setting up the brake controller. I am new to towing (caravans) so I appreciated the advice.

I know understand what others have said about the number of keys you get.

Our van is an Expanda 16-48 3 OB with the following:
150 litre fridge
cafe dinette seating
80W solar panel on roof with single 100 battery
Lifestyle package ( Fusion radio etc with external speakers and 18" Sphere TV)
RV Control Panel
Privacy screens
AL-KO ESC
Reversing camera

We are towing with an SZ Ford Territory diesel.

I was originally concerned about reversing into our driveway. I am OK reversing a box trailer (as long as I can see one of the rear corners). As others have said, these can be the hardest. I went OK if I say so myself. Found out that our driveway slopes up more that I realised. Only had to correct once or twice so hopefully given time I will get even better. The real test will be when I have to reverse into a tight caravan park site while others, enjoying happy hour, are watching and giving advice.

P9020403.jpg P9020404.jpg P9020405.jpg P9020406.jpg P9020407.jpg P9020408.jpg P9020409.jpg P9020410.jpg P9020411.jpg P9020412.jpg