Our 16.49-1

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Just returned from our very first trip in our Expanda. This was our shakedown trip from Canberra to Narooma. This is our third van, and I have to say it does not tow as well as all of our other vans. It just does not feel as tight. I am towing it with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with an EZYLIFT WDH rated to 250kg. It should do the magic, but it just doesn't feel like its a tight rig. On this trip the fuel figures were 11.7l/100kms to Narooma, and return 12.7l/100kms, which I'm quite happy with. I stayed on the speed limit at all times.

Here are a couple of photos for you of our Expanda.....

2012-10-05 13.06.47.jpg2012-10-05 15.41.32.jpgP1010574.JPGP1010573.JPG2012-10-06 15.47.28.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi mate, I had the same van in an outback with WDH and towed great behind the Pajero, silly question but did you or Jayco adjust the screw on top of the hitch for your ball? Not sure what hitch you have but I also had to do this myself at handover.

Cheers.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Burnsy,

Thanks for the reply. Not sure exactly what your referring to regarding the screw on top of the hitch? Apologies. I have an EAZ LIFT 550lbs WDH. Here's the picture of it that I've just taken.

View attachment 9698View attachment 9699

I'm wondering whether I have it under enough tension. I usually use the third link of the chain from the U bolt where it attaches to the bar, if that makes sense. The other item is that I've tried to tighen the two bolts that connect the shank to that plate where the towball is several times, even taking it back to where I bought the WDH, where they have used the rattle gun on it to try and tighten it as much as possible, but there is still some movement. I'm now considering welding it so there is no movement off the shank. I'm thinking that any movement here would translate to a less than adequate towability.

Cheers

Luis

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Luis, I can't open your pics for some reason, are you using a standard hitch on your van? If so there is a screw and a lock nut on top of your hitch that needs to be adjusted for your tow ball. I can take a pic for you if you like. 3 links sounds too short so maybe adjust the angle of ball more vertical so you can get tension on bars but have more links, if this makes sense. You should have no less than 4 links to allow for turning so the brackets on A frame don't get dragged along the A frame. Hold off on welding anything as this should not be necessary and it makes it non adjustable. It sounds like you need to set up differently to suit your 16' van. Check out the hayman Reece site on WDH and see if your setup is similar. The main thing is no less than 4 links for bars, this is where your ball angle comes into play. If your not sure pm me and I'll try to help.

Cheers.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Burnsy,

Thanks for the reply. Not sure exactly what your referring to regarding the screw on top of the hitch? Apologies. I have an EAZ LIFT 550lbs WDH. Here's the picture of it that I've just taken.

I'm wondering whether I have it under enough tension. I usually use the third link of the chain from the U bolt where it attaches to the bar, if that makes sense. The other item is that I've tried to tighen the two bolts that connect the shank to that plate where the towball is several times, even taking it back to where I bought the WDH, where they have used the rattle gun on it to try and tighten it as much as possible, but there is still some movement. I'm now considering welding it so there is no movement off the shank. I'm thinking that any movement here would translate to a less than adequate towability.

Cheers

Luis

P1010592.JPGP1010594.JPG

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Ok I see your pics now, not familiar with that brand but I'd say it's similar, see what you can find online for this WDH, I still think you will need 4 links minimum.

Cheers.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Burnsy,

Thanks buddy. I'm thinking that I have the shank height correct on the WDH, since the van sits pretty much at the same height as the car. Problem is that the bars are sitting almost at the same level when tensioned as the draw bar, in fact just underneath the draw bar. I don't think that's right. Correct? I'll hunt around online for some further information on this type of WDH.

Cheers

Luis

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Luis,
I have the eazylift WDH and have never found a problem. For me I have it set to the fourth link from the end of the chain. But it really comes down to personal feel and preference.
The two bolts you mention, have you got picks of these? I think I know the ones you are talking about but just want to be sure.
The WDH came with instructions and diagrams on how the WDH should look when the car is positioned in front I'd the van and where the tow ball comes to etc. have you still got those instructions so that you can review the diagram?
One thing I think I would not be doing though is welding anything. The system works for others without an issue so it is either installed wrong or needs to be replaced I would think.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Brad,

Thanks buddy!!

I was never given any instructions regarding this hitch, but I have been able to locate them online. I have printed them off now and will need to review this information. I think I have the height right on the shank as the entire rig seems to sit level. Looking at the instructions, it appears that I need to adjust the "tilt" of the hitch down, so that when the bars are then pulled up, the tension is then greater, and choosing a link on the chain that enables the bars to be parallel to the draw bar is what is required. Does this sound correct. I see that I need to loosen the two bolts in order to change the "tilt"down. It looks like I still need to play around with it to find the best possible configuration. I will not be welding it at all. Seems I still need to play around with it.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Luis

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Luis
What you are describing sounds very similar to what I did to set up the WDH. I do remember having to pull the van out onto the road though and configuring the WDH there because the driveway was not flat.
Do you have extra washers to adjust the tilt?

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Brad,

I just had a look at the WDH. I have three washers only on the "rivet". Do I need to add washers or remove them? I'm think that the plate where the bars connect, needs to tilt down from the shank, so that there is more pressure and tension on the bars as they are pulled up. Does this sound right?

Luis

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Luis
Yes that's right.
The number of washers needed will depend based on the angle that needs to be achieved. So to set this up definitely needs to be performed in the order described in the instructions.
So set your van up and place the car in front and you will soon see how many washers you need to insert to achieve the required angle. If you need more washers then suggest a trip to bunnings.
I have seen another of these hitches where the angle was too great. Their hitch always groaned and the tension bars were grinding out grooves in the metal where the tension bars housed into the tow bar side of the hitch.
So it is important to keep the hitch within the angle tolerance described in the instructions.
Brad

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Luis, sounds like your on track, if you get extra washers try to get high tensile washers so they don't squash under load, you may need to go to a specialized bolt retailer.

Cheers.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Thanks guys for all your help and assistance.

Looks like I have some work to do this weekend.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I love your annexe set up. The green flooring looks great. The skirt that runs along the caravan edge also makes a nice finishing touch. I`m getting an annexe made very shortly. Am thinking about the engle fridge like yours too. I only have a 100 amp hour battery and a 110 watt solar panel.

Can I ask what size battery and solar you have?

Do you run the fridge away from powered sites?

I`m thinking I may have to install a second battery if I want to run an engel or waeco fridge.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Coasterrunner,

Thanks buddy. This is my third van and the setup is still in its infancy. I have a 50 litre Waeco fridge and a 150 litre fridge/freezer in the van. The 50 litre is purely for drinks and my coffee that I simply need to have in the mornings. I still need to set up a place off the chasis of the van so that I can lock up my fridge to avoid it being nicked!! I seen others go to the trouble of actually building a lock for the fridge so beers etc are not taken. Sadly, this does happen. The minister for war, finance and domestic affairs is strictly a caravan park person, so we are limited to caravan parks. This means that I don't have a battery or solar installed on the van. The battery drain of a portable connected fridge is quite high. The fridge off the van can always be run using LPG, but your Engel or Waeco is a completely different story.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Luis,
While I was resetting my hitch (just had a hayman reese towbar fitted) I thought I would take a few pics so you can compare if you need to.

Looks like I have 3 washers in my setup.
image.jpg

This bolt on the front of the WDH is up tight once the two side bolts have been installed. It looks as if this one bolt stiffens the entire setup.
image.jpg

The two side bolts
image.jpg

A full side on shot. I have the bike attachment also fitted.
image.jpg

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Brad,

Thank you so much for taking photos of your hitch. Its highlighted the fact that I don't have the securing bolt to stiffen the entire set up. That bolt was never actually provided to me when I bought the hitch. It also shows that where I have the rivet with the three washers is actually where the bolt should go. That explains why the entire damn thing is loose, and is also not actually set up as it should be. Damn!!

I do like your bike attachment. Where did you buy that from and how much did it set you back?

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to take photos of your hitch. A picture really does tell a thousand words!!