Opinions on BF Goodrich KO2's

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
End of the day different tyres suit different drivers and different vehicles. I'll stick to toyo because for $275 each I know I'll get between 70,000km to 90,000km per set depending on how and where I drive.

A bit cheaper, maybe a bit less distance than the more expensive tyres but I've never had premature wear (unlike a set of coopers I had on a work car in the Kimberly's).

Quiet on sealed roads, double layer side walls with extra tread wrapped around onto them.

As I said regardless of claims by makers and those in the know, it's still your choice.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree with you regarding the Toyo's being quiet on sealed roads @peterg but wasn't happy with their off road capability when I had them on an 80 series 20 years ago but does sound like they have improved since then with the upgraded side walls and tread wrapped around.

The older ones I had were basically square with no tread at all anywhere near the sidewalls..... Would I look at getting them or try them again? If updated as you say above... Yes I would at the right price ;)

Reactions: bigcol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Agree with you regarding the Toyo's being quiet on sealed roads @peterg but wasn't happy with their off road capability when I had them on an 80 series 20 years ago but does sound like they have improved since then with the upgraded side walls and tread wrapped around.

The older ones I had were basically square with no tread at all anywhere near the sidewalls..... Would I look at getting them or try them again? If updated as you say above... Yes I would at the right price ;)

They are a world of difference now. I had the original opats on a s2 disco and they barely made 40,000km. The toyos I've had on various cars since have been brilliant so I decided to give them a go on the cruiser. They've been great.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I have had a set on now for 3000km and find them great, slight bit of road noise when window down and listening hard but none inside car, I went the smaller size to keep the rolling diameters the same.

Just done the Eyre Peninsular with around 1000k of dirt and the Gawler Rangers with great results, my parents had a brand new set of Bridgestone's new AT and got a small piece of metal or something just where the tread finishes on the roll of the top and the tyre shop would not repair so a new tyre was needed but punctures are luck of the draw or track.

image1.JPG
IMG_5021 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5004 (Medium).JPG

Matt - VK1MT

Apr 20, 2015
Canberra
Had KO's on the PK Ranger for over 100K with no issues. They were starting to get a bit hairy in the snow/mud. Used this excuse to get new tyres.
Bought a set of KO2's recently. On road performance is good, off-road is pretty good - had a couple of weekends out in the mud.
If they last as long or longer than the KO's, I'll be a happy man.
20160731_091009.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
So many variables with tyres I think, alignment, pressures , how we drive, right down to where they are made and batches. Take some of the experiences here . @Matty4 our old Paj got 80,000kms out of BFGs and where worn perfect at 55k @spiderpig would have to confirm how they finished worn. You've seen @cruza drivers great exprience with Cooper ST Max ? Yet I know of somebody in Karratha that couldn't stop em getting punctures and wearing on a 200. I had 16" BFGs on the rodeo and they became pretty ordinary after 24mths. I'd rate the current D697s on the 200 as a better all round AT tyre than the BFG on the Pajero but they are not going to make more than 60-65k I think. So good luck with it I hope the above confuses the day lights out of you cause it does me when it comes times to choice tyres :p

Oh and on Toyos yeah they don't appear to be the joke they once were. There performance brand that we are starting to see here. "Nitto" are a lengendary tyre in the US. Basically on the big trucks it's largely either Nitto or BFG i have known two people running the grapplers here and they give them a huge wrap. I'll be the third :D

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Very good point @achjimmy. I've been keeping an eye on this post as I consider upgrades to the shoes from the stock for the Big Lap. There's tales of woe and support on most brands. I think it will come down to personal preference, cost and availability.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I will encourage all and sundry to keep posting. I'm sure I'm not alone in those using this thread as a bit of a research tool.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Got my BFG KO2's fitted today and straight out on to a wet road, first impressions are good
In fact I jumped in my other Ranger and drove the same as a comparison and had the traction control light on 3 times (10000 k stock tyres).
We will see how they go but first impressions are good.
Got some CSA Raptors at the same time, so I'll post some photos when the rain stops cause it looks sweet

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
with my KO's on my old GQ
lowest pressure I ever had them down to (11R15 BFG's - 280/75R15) was 10lb

it was very very soft sand, and a big hill I was trying to get up