Not a great start to the long weekend!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
:o

Someone has had an unfortunate start to the Labour Day long weekend in Vic travelling north on the Calder Fwy near Woodend...

Hope they are safe and insurance will cover it!

IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1781.JPG

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Saw that on our way back on Monday, or the remnants of it anyway! Hope everybody involved is safe and well.

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
My brother did this with my parents van quite a few years ago. Loaded too much crap under the bed at the back, didn't understand the concept of balancing the load and then didn't know how to use the brake controller to try and bring the tank slap under control. Made a right mess.

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Millsy,

How was the weekend in "Shaza"? Hope it was incident free and no warranty jobs found!

Cheers,

Ro

Hi Ro

Weekend was great thx mate. It was incident free thankfully, although the traffic coming back on Monday was hectic! It is no wonder you see the sorts of photos you posted when you come across some of the setups on the road!
There are a few little things that require tweaking, I'll deal with those myself, nothing major. We do however have some concerns about the amount of movement under foot in the shower base, and there are a couple of marks on the exterior where somebody has been a bit careless and damaged the gelcoat, only small though. Booked in early April @ Prestige Bendigo for the first service, we'll get them to check it out. Bendigo was the only place we could get in before we set off, but it is convenient as we are currently storing the van in Kyneton.

Cheers
Shane

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yep, side of a two lane freeway. Speed could have been a factor as the posted limit on the Calder is 110.

Fair enough, it would be nice got know exactly what causes these incidents ie, another vehicle, speed or overloaded, also with vans that burn down.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Fair enough, it would be nice got know exactly what causes these incidents ie, another vehicle, speed or overloaded, also with vans that burn down.

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing more too. Can help all of us prevent the same mistakes.
It looks to me like this caravan had to have rolled several times to end up like that.
But why did it roll in the first place.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Will ask the folk I know in the services and see if they have any info on possible cause. They might not be able to say anything though owing to privacy and other possible reasons.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi Ro

Weekend was great thx mate. It was incident free thankfully, although the traffic coming back on Monday was hectic! It is no wonder you see the sorts of photos you posted when you come across some of the setups on the road!
There are a few little things that require tweaking, I'll deal with those myself, nothing major. We do however have some concerns about the amount of movement under foot in the shower base, and there are a couple of marks on the exterior where somebody has been a bit careless and damaged the gelcoat, only small though. Booked in early April @ Prestige Bendigo for the first service, we'll get them to check it out. Bendigo was the only place we could get in before we set off, but it is convenient as we are currently storing the van in Kyneton.

Cheers
Shane

Shane, great to hear the weekend away was a success. Prestige Bendigo is our local "Jayco Haunt" as we also live in Kyneton and they are a great bunch to deal with.

Reactions: Millsy

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
maccayak,

Timely reminder of the impact of strong winds, especially as we enter Autumn where the winds are gusty as a result of more unstable weather conditions.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Makes me worry again about those new light weight euro style vans, we discussed on this forum some time back. Happy to pay for the 2+ tonne on the back when roadholding and stability might be the trade-off.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Scares the crap out of me, especially when we'll be traveling with my gorgeous girls in the car.
Not to get all dark and depressing but when I was growing up a local family was in a horror smash. They were on holidays, the Dad was driving and swerved to miss a bird on the Road, lost control, rolled and crashed.

Sadly and tragically there were 3 fatalities out of their family of 5! The Dad, the eldest daughter Monique 12 and youngest son David 8. Left behind was the Mum and middle daughter Crystal 10.
Now I have to say that they weren't towing a van. But from that everyone should learn you don't swerve at speed for anything, regardless of whether your towing or not.