No theft cover for camper trailers and expanda"s

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
If it is of any help, in my employment as aviation underwriter I recently paid a claim for an aircraft which had canvas wings ! What I was doing insuring it is another matter. I shouldn't have probably said that - recall recall.....

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
QBE referred to underwriters and confirmed theft claims on an expanda would be honoured if forced entry had been through canvas "As long as the the bed-ends had been properly erected and secured". Doesn't apply to annex.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
hi all
i was on the phone to cil 5 mins ago
am being told if they break invia the door your 100% covered
if they force the locks on the bed ends and cut the canvas to get in your 100% covered
if your beds are set up and they cut the canvas to get in the canvas damage is 100% covered
but the theft is not 100% covered its up to the insurance claims person
the lady said they have had quite a few emails and calls about this today
the underwriter is working on something that they will let jayco/winsor know about all the details etc
cheers jim/tab and diamond

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We had both our campers with MHIA fully covered for theft from "Canvas" sides. though we didn't have annex so can't comment there, with the Expanda we went with NRMA slightly cheaper with multi policy discount.

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Until CIL quantify this and amend their PDS I would be very wary. I would not want to have to pay to replace all my contents just because the assessor had rolled out the wrong side of bed one particular morning.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi We had our Expanda(until we sold it) insured with GIO as they do cover a van with canvas walls for theft. We srang heaps of insurance companies and GIO was the one that would cover the van. When our new van arrives I think we will go with GIO again.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Ps just wanted to let you know. When our van was last serviced in our driveway by our regular service guy. he arrived early so when I arrived he was in the van. I asked him how he got in and he said " Its easy, just a giggle with a small screwdriver in the lock, presto!" He went on to say its faster to access thru the door than cut the canvas away and climb thru! Food for thought.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I also contacted CIL and asked the question, (As Jim & Tab siad - lots of inquiries about this) and go the written response:
"The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers,
where the whole tent is made of canvas. "

Thanks for bringing to our attention Andrea & Pieter!

Reactions: andrea

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Well, they changed their tune pretty quick, as they said to me if the beds are up/closed and there is forced entry you covered, BUT if the beds are down/open ther is 0% cover!! And the reason they gave me, it makes it to easy to get in. I called them 3 times and spoke to 3 different people and got the same answer everytime!! Like I mentioned before, when I mentioned this could have a bad outcome they replied " That is why we send out a PDS to read"

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Pieter, I'm with you! I will stay with suncorp and hold no faith in what cil's latest story is. While their pds says what it says there is a very big risk that they won't cover you. If they change their pds....This can be a victory to the power of people :) :)

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
That is very funny Cruza. I hope CIL read this, take note and sort it out. The business is walking.......

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
So if I was to insure with suncorp , being a bananna bender. What is the annual fee for an expanda if anyone can answer. Never had van insurance & not sure if the same accross the board on the size of the van or not.
Cheers.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We are insured for $47k, contents only $500 as we're covered on our house ins, it's 72.53 per month. We live in a suburb that was flood affected so not sure if that impacts it or not.

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Andrea, a very good idea is to check what you are covered for away from home, home contents is what it is i.e. contents at home, you have to specify what you want if you want to be covered away from the home (and you pay a premium for that). For example we cover wedding rings, watches, cameras away from home under household insurance.

Looking at the Caravan policies, some cover you for bicycles, some do not. Surfboards, some cover, some do not. Best (and a must) is to get an alternative, get an quote to add these items on to your home contents policy, say you are taking specific valuable items away from home and find out what the excess is (and and additional premium), at least you know you are definitely covered. We have spent much time here talking about the unusual / unlikely event of someone breaking into our vans, but the reality is that it will be the kids bikes tucked under the rear bed-end that will go missing in the night. Point to be made is no-one really cares about loss of clothes, it is the dear (and loved) items we worry about, other than TV's your home insurer can cover almost if not everything, sums insured can be higher excesses lower, check it out for handing cash over. Think we might all find the caravan insurance offers very limited cover with big excesses. I say this after much research I find their general cover very disappointing.

We go to rivers, we go to beaches, many of the policies I have read exclude flood / tsunamis. Many of us are making a huge longterm investments buying a new van, we want insurance protection for all the events we have described in the above. But and the big but is primarily, seek out the best cover for the van..... then explore the options for the contents / bikes / surfboards. We are all here to talk about the vans, most important is the van.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi klugerclan... We are very lucky our policy covers everything. We don't have to specify. We do pay a small fortune for the policy though. Matt lost his sunnies on moreton island and that was covered even (no excess) we are also covered for flood for both the van and our house. I think the only thing we aren't covered for is accidental damage to the LCD. I'm guessing too many people who tvs stopped working were blaming their kids for knocking them over lol.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
So if I was to insure with suncorp , being a bananna bender. What is the annual fee for an expanda if anyone can answer. Never had van insurance & not sure if the same accross the board on the size of the van or not.
Cheers.
I have my 16.49 with Suncorp for 41k and $1000 content and paid $620 for the year.