No theft cover for camper trailers and expanda"s

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
After reading Andrea's post for help with INsurance I spoke to CIL and they confirmed that there is NO THEFT COVER on any caravan that has a Canvas wall as part of the Caravan! So all makes of campervans and Expanda's has no theft cover at all!!:mad2::nono::shocked:
I just spoke to SUNCORP and they say they definitely cover theft from Expanda's as well as Camper trailers and their quote on my Expanda was just over $100 cheaper!!!:dance:
CALL SSUNCORP 131155

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Well done Pieter.

Do Suncorp cover states other than QLD?

Might seem a daft question but when we moved from Darwin to Melbourne, not by choice I hasten to add, we were forced to leave the TIO as an insurer because we left the NT!

If they do, then I will be calling Suncorp!

Reactions: Pieter

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
I just sent an email to CIL advising them of these links and they are about to potentially lose a lot of business. It would be great if CIL were able to post on this forum and clarify what is and what is not covered with Jayco expanda's, canvas bed ends, annex's with canvas walls.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Klugerclan, That is great as when I spoke to them about this, I mentioned that there will be alot of unhappy clients and possible cancelations. There response was, "That is why we send out the product disclosure statement for people to read"
This is out of there PDS:
What we do not cover
We will not pay for:
repairs that are done without first getting our written
consent.
the cost of repairing damage not caused by the
accident or event you are claiming for.
theft or attempted theft from your caravan or your
annexe if:
it does not have hard walls
, or
it is not securely locked, or
there is no physical evidence of forcible and
violent entry.
Hope we can get this sorted allthough it is to late for me, I signed with Suncorp.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I called Suncorp and they only insure caravans in QLD or Northern NSW.

Odd as they insure motor vehicles anywhere in Australia.

So for everyone else, lets keep looking!

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Klugerclan, That is great as when I spoke to them about this, I mentioned that there will be alot of unhappy clients and possible cancelations. There response was, "That is why we send out the product disclosure statement for people to read"

Refer to my reply under Andreas post. - So why did CIL talk us into the extra $1000 additional cover when they knew we had a Hawk - with canvas walls. Are they truly interested in the consumer or just out to make as much money as they can! Unfortunately we cant go Suncorp because of where we live - so we will have to look around as well.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
I had a look at the RACQ PDS and they don't mention anything about "hard walls" on the van. They do mention that content cover inside the annexe is not covered.
Hope this helps!!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
On the phone to RACQ that are seeking confirmation as she agreed it was a 'grey' area. I just want to know that if some *&(^head cuts my canvas that they will fix it!!

It is currently being referred to their underwriting team for a response.... holding holding.....

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane

Refer to my reply under Andreas post. - So why did CIL talk us into the extra $1000 additional cover when they knew we had a Hawk - with canvas walls. Are they truly interested in the consumer or just out to make as much money as they can! Unfortunately we cant go Suncorp because of where we live - so we will have to look around as well.

That's fraudulent! Charging you for something that they know they won't cover you for. I would be asking for a refund of the additional contents cover for the entire period you paid it. I suppose they will say though that if you were in a vehicle crash then the extra contents would covered then!!!!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Off to call suncorp now... Under RACQ we would have to put in a claim under an Unexpected Event for consideration.... which means we may or may not be covered. Why is someone cutting through canvas willfully not considered forceful!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Insured with Suncorp $72.53/mth (yes I know it's a lot) for $47000 plus $500 contents included. They have assured me that we will be covered as they cover annexes that are locked as well.

Cheers
Andrea

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
We should add that theft is not the only insured peril for your contents. CIL PDS states the following:

4 Events we cover
4 accident,
4 theft or attempted theft,
4 fire,
4 storm,
4 flood,
4 malicious damage,
4 hail,
4 any other event that is not excluded by the policy terms
and conditions.

So you content are covered any damage caused by the events listed other than theft, or attempted theft. I work for QBE so going to double check on theft and canvas bed-ends and report back.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Klugerclan, can you get them to check with the the underwriting division for clear interpretation.
Mum and dad's Avan (full van) is with suncorp $45K insurance value and is less than $200!! And they travel a lot. Ours will sit locked in our yard for at least 340 days a year!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Just another thought. What about any other "pop top" van?? That is canvas/vinyl sides!! No theft cover??

Some do and some don't, I think this is why the term hard walls started being used to ensure that pop tops were being covered.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Let me through a cat amongst the pigeons!
As far as I'm concerned my expanda has 4 solid walls! It just so happens that 2 of them fold down.
You'd have to have a look at the definitions contained within the PDS before going down this tact.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hello all

Check the comments that I got back from RACQ in the other post from Andrea. Especially concerning the definition of forced entry, should help sort things out.

Cheers.