New ute

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They have a LC70 chip that is claimed to increase 150kW/450nm to 230kW and freaken 900nm at the fw and a claimed 5 year drive train warranty parallel with Toyotas.

Is that the mob that has "Tim The Toolman " in their engine design dept ????

Forget about rams, silverado's have a better cargo rating.

RAM 1500 is smaller than the Silverado, only a bit bigger than your normal dual cab, mate has been driving a 1500 around the US for last 2 years, reckons its just the shot for travelling......

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Is that the mob that has "Tim The Toolman " in their engine design dept ????

RAM 1500 is smaller than the Silverado, only a bit bigger than your normal dual cab, mate has been driving a 1500 around the US for last 2 years, reckons its just the shot for travelling......

OK for travellingt, but!!
Payload Ram 1500
Laramie740Kg
Big Horn 809Kg.

For comparison-

Holden Colorado MY 19
4x4 Crew cab AT 1029Kg
Z71 905Kg

And people are buying these Rams to tow ip to 4500Kg?? Gimme a break!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Payload Ram 1500
Laramie740Kg
Big Horn 809Kg.

For comparison-

Holden Colorado MY 19
4x4 Crew cab AT 1029Kg
Z71 905Kg

All that comparison with the Silverado is probably irrelevant unless GM change their minds and produce right hand drive vehicles again. Of course, one could import a LHD and get it changed over to RHD. Driving a LHD vehicle with a big rig behind in Australia would be an interesting exercise.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Payload Ram 1500
Laramie740Kg
Big Horn 809Kg.

For comparison-

Holden Colorado MY 19
4x4 Crew cab AT 1029Kg
Z71 905Kg

The thing is folk just look at the figures if you want to tow a 3t or more Van then why look at a dual cab ute like a Colorado, D Max etc you are going to be overloaded, The RAM would be better but if wanting 3.5t then you would go further up the towing food chain to the likes of a RAM 2500, Chev or Ford truck, why anyone would want to tow on the max limit is beyond me.................. and as for using a RAM 1500 to tow 4.5t, well you would be gullible to the salesmens pitch for sure.....its all in the GCM now matter what he vehicle.

For towing Big Mal down the highway, 2.8t , it certainly would be doing it in style with RAM 1500, I don't carry a lot of useless junk anyway............. I would throw the tub away, useless bit of gear on most utes, tray back means more usable space and no drama getting to stuff.....

Silverado's are changed over in Melbourne just like the RAMs into RH drive, have been for a few years now.......

Last edited:
Reactions: WHHEMI

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
All that comparison with the Silverado is probably irrelevant unless GM change their minds and produce right hand drive vehicles again. Of course, one could import a LHD and get it changed over to RHD. Driving a LHD vehicle with a big rig behind in Australia would be an interesting exercise.
the comparion isnt as irrelevant as you my think Boots, the Rams and Silverados are currently both "re-manufactured" side by side at Walkinshaws right here in the nations economic engine room, Melbourne.

On a more important point, how short is the avg Aussie memory. It would have to compare with a goldfush (NZ) to be stooopid enough to embrace anything offered up by GM ever again ... ???

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
the comparion isnt as irrelevant as you my think Boots, the Rams and Silverados are currently both "re-manufactured" side by side at Walkinshaws right here in the nations economic engine room, Melbourne.

On a more important point, how short is the avg Aussie memory. It would have to compare with a goldfush (NZ) to be stooopid enough to embrace anything offered up by GM ever again ... ???

Sorry @Drover and @Crusty181 . I knew that there were firms specializing in changing vehicles from LHD to RHD in the south. What I did not know that it was a full time change over - proper production line scheme. Output would be limited I guess. Who makes the parts that are necessary for such a change over?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
A mechanic at work said Great wall had brought the rights to holden collarado dont know if true but maybe got it cheap in a fire sale

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sorry @Drover and @Crusty181 . I knew that there were firms specializing in changing vehicles from LHD to RHD in the south. What I did not know that it was a full time change over - proper production line scheme. Output would be limited I guess. Who makes the parts that are necessary for such a change over?
No apology necessary Boots, i struggle with the facts surrounding this. Not sure about the parts, interesting question, maybe Hyundai. Walkinshaw were running 3 shifts 24hrs at least for the Ram, so seems we cant get enough of these Hyundai fronted Ram concoctions. Walkinshaw are also the home of Holden Special Vehicles .... they do have Camaros at present so it will intetesting to see if they ramp that up, or widen their offerings to include Corvettes etc

Aussies are generally dumb with short memories, and we'll quickly forget how GM royaly shafted us. Case in point at the Caravan show, Elite the belly up caravan builder was there with a full display signing us lemmings up. Rumours also suggest Kokoda is also on the way back from the liquidation mausoleum. I cant comprehend how gullible we are, that a new brand could possibly be more on the nose than liquidated existing brand.

I have an old classic Chev C30 which was originally imported new in the 70s by a larger local Holden dealer as a side business, and they converted by them with local Holden parts and a hand moulded dash. That Holden dealer is still around, but ditched Holden for Toyota many many years ago .... i suppose theres been a few high 5s there in recent times

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not forgetting the Chyrsler/Mitsubishi saga of many moons ago, mountains of money thrown at SA to keep them gong because nobody would buy the product other than Magna's, some people don't even know about or care anyway..............

I read a good write about the conversions done for the Chevy and RAM, a very interesting read I will see if I can find it again...................

Had a squizzy at the fate of the Thailand Colorado plant and yep down the gurgler with Great Wall buying the plant but not the vehicle so I suppose goodbye Colorado ..................... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/holden-colorado-trailblazer-fate-closure

I'd like a Great Wall for my beach ute.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Crusty181 Walkinshaw also own New Age..

@Bluey put a link to Great Wall up higher.. Seems they want to get more ute says next release. Sold 1401 last year.
So makes sense https://www.caradvice.com.au/827648/holden-closure-great-wall/

If you look at sales last year Colorado's sold more then Dmax, Navara or BT-50
Although Trailblazer sold not that well. Mux won the ute based SUV again.
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/vfac...y-takes-big-hit-in-2019/2020-01-06/81215.html
https://www.caradvice.com.au/819655/isuzu-mu-x-outsells-direct-rivals-again/

Isuzu do only just Ute and Ute Wagon.. Sold more than Holden Ute based.
If you look at Utes sold vs how many they sell.. you see without the Ranger/Everest there be few Fords sold.
Holden where Ute heavy as well.

Top 10 UTE sales for 2019 overall.. + Ute based SUV. Compare to how many other cars..
  1. Toyota HiLux – 47,649+ Fortuner 3033= 50,682 Overall 205,766 So around 25%
  2. Ford Ranger – 40,960 + Everest 5333= 46,293 out of 63,303 Ford's sold.. 73%
  3. Mitsubishi Triton – 25,819+ Paj Sport 6477= 32,296 out of 83,250 sold.. around 38% ute base
  4. Isuzu D-Max – 16,892 + MUX 8439 = 25.311
  5. Holden Colorado – 17,472 + Trailblazer 2813= 20,285 .. out of 43,176 Holdens sold so 46% ute based.
  6. Nissan Navara – 13,412 out of 50,575. 25% utes
  7. Mazda BT-50 – 11,357 out of 97,619 just over 10%.. be why they partnered with Isuzu for next model.
  8. Volkswagen Amarok – 8371 out of 49,928 16%
  9. LDV T60 – 3529
  10. Mercedes-Benz X-Class – 2126

Reactions: Bluey

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Not forgetting the Chyrsler/Mitsubishi saga of many moons ago, mountains of money thrown at SA to keep them gong because nobody would buy the product other than Magna's, some people don't even know about or care anyway..............

I read a good write about the conversions done for the Chevy and RAM, a very interesting read I will see if I can find it again...................

Had a squizzy at the fate of the Thailand Colorado plant and yep down the gurgler with Great Wall buying the plant but not the vehicle so I suppose goodbye Colorado ..................... https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/holden-colorado-trailblazer-fate-closure

Remember the Mitsubishi 380 "if you can find a better built car, buy it" .....

Id have one as a mooring :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Remember the Mitsubishi 380 "if you can find a better built car, buy it" .....:)

Hate to say it but I had to Google it, had no idea which isn't surprising as I never really followed cars as such, always been into 4x4's since the late 60's.

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
But the Ram is now coming with the Italian diesel same as the Jeep 570NM torque with the 8 speed box so now it’s even more interesting on an off topic side note I watched a towing comparison between a Toyota 200, a Nissan Y62 and an adorable F250 dual can 6.7 litre diesel the Nissan used the least fuel followed by the 200 then the F250 but it wasn’t far behind and remember petrol is cheaper than diesel?? A mate has a Tundrra and a 200 series Sahara he reconds the tundera has a better ride ten time the power and uses similar amounts of fuel both cost about the same, interesting if you can afford any of them

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Id love a Tundura now thats a good size ute i saw another vid cruiser vers nissan and the cruiser won that vid with fule use and comfort and better on road handeling at the end of the day its there opinion and how they drive i very much like the older patrol but new ones look a bit poxie

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
But the Ram is now coming with the Italian diesel same as the Jeep 570NM torque with the 8 speed box so now it’s even more interesting on an off topic side note I watched a towing comparison between a Toyota 200, a Nissan Y62 and an adorable F250 dual can 6.7 litre diesel the Nissan used the least fuel followed by the 200 then the F250 but it wasn’t far behind and remember petrol is cheaper than diesel?? A mate has a Tundrra and a 200 series Sahara he reconds the tundera has a better ride ten time the power and uses similar amounts of fuel both cost about the same, interesting if you can afford any of them
and the Y62 is much better appointed than the LC200, much nicer car, and much cheaper despite to petrol v diesel pricing. Very very nice car. I looked them but the payload cut it from the list. Shame