New ute

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
I was under the impression that GM are leaving Australia at the end of 2020. If so, does that mean no GM models will be sold in Australia?

The article I read discussed the huge cost of producing RH drive versions for such a small market as Australia.

cheers
Mike
GM apparently wont be producing right hand drive vehicles at all, for any market. But hey, Ram dont either so maybe like Ateco in Sydney, Cletus at my local garage can buy them from GM, import them, fit a Hyundai front end and call them a re-engineered factory backed import

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Those were the days @mikerezny something that with a good set of spanners nothing was too hard to do, I too had my dream rig, a very smicko Landy with a 186 under the bonnet and a Ford box, it was the bee's knees...........................

I read the same articles certainly wasn't all our fault Holden died and it all started some years back with some introverted decisions by the Yanks...... at least I have a Jeep a good old Yank for sure , with an Italian engine, German gearbox, Chinese wheels, even the genuine filters are Chinese but built in the USofA, it goes and goes well so thats all I care about.................. I still like the RAM no matter what the Retro Look lover in a dress says................

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Jeep yes sidetracking.. Was an article who will be next. 5 years ago they sold 30,000 in OZ alone last year 6000 in OZ and 23,000 other RHD markets in United Kingdom, Japan and South Africa.
Where a company like Isuzu make basically one car in 2 flavours sell over 25k of cars

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Jeep yes sidetracking.. Was an article who will be next. 5 years ago they sold 30,000 in OZ alone last year 6000 in OZ and 23,000 other RHD markets in United Kingdom, Japan and South Africa.
Where a company like Isuzu make basically one car in 2 flavours sell over 25k of cars
Holden were outselling Jeep 5 to 1 .... just say'in :boink:

Reactions: davemc

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi,
I was under the impression that GM are leaving Australia at the end of 2020. If so, does that mean no GM models will be sold in Australia?

The article I read discussed the huge cost of producing RH drive versions for such a small market as Australia.

cheers
Mike

Hi @mikerezny , I too read the report that the conversion of GM cars to right hand drive was not going to continue for ANY country they export to, especially Australia which has small sales compared to other countries with left hand drive. There are now too many other quality brands with increasing sales/potential for GM to compete with as Australians seek/buy better vehicles.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Oh so many replies to that ran thru my mind but I will just stick with " So what happened to the hair then, girlie ?"
You dont understand fashion like i do
images.jpeg-6.jpg

Reactions: DRW

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @mikerezny , I too read the report that the conversion of GM cars to right hand drive was not going to continue for ANY country they export to, especially Australia which has small sales compared to other countries with left hand drive. There are now too many other quality brands with increasing sales/potential for GM to compete with as Australians seek/buy better vehicles.
If GM arent going to sells cars to right hand drive countries (ie us) that gifted them a whopping half a $$$$billion, then countries that gave them $$$zip are just kidding themselves. The magic number is clearly higher than $500,000,000 ... which out of interest is what the avg Aussie will earn after working for a mere 6500 short years.

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Those were the days @mikerezny something that with a good set of spanners nothing was too hard to do, I too had my dream rig, a very smicko Landy with a 186 under the bonnet and a Ford box, it was the bee's knees...........................

I read the same articles certainly wasn't all our fault Holden died and it all started some years back with some introverted decisions by the Yanks...... at least I have a Jeep a good old Yank for sure , with an Italian engine, German gearbox, Chinese wheels, even the genuine filters are Chinese but built in the USofA, it goes and goes well so thats all I care about.................. I still like the RAM no matter what the Retro Look lover in a dress says................

Had a HD with a 179 engine in the 60's, I repaced the head gasket and doing up the head bolts one pulled through the thread. Seems all the bolts terminated in the water jacket at the bottom. The inevitable had happened and the thread had rusted and become detached and pulled up in the bolt thread.
I found out that Repco had a thing called a helicoil which would fix the problem.
So on a Monday morning, I drove the car to Essendon Repco and parked up on the footpath, let the water out, removed the induction stuff, removed the exhaust stuff and pulled the head off.
The Repco guy came out fitted the helicoil, I refitted the head and ancillary stuff, did the tappets and checked the timing then drove home. I think the helicoil cost about 2 and 6.
A guy walking past in the morning watched what was going on for a while and came back a couple of hours later to see it all finished and commented that I must have been some kind of expert, to which I replied, no just a young fella who can't afford a mechanic.
I traded the car in some time later on a HT premier.
I traded the Collie in on a new Collie LTZ today a MY20, got a really good deal. 5 year warrantee, no free service but capped price service. This truck should see me out till they take my licence off me, which they will do when you get too old!!
I wouldn't know where to start if I had to do the same thing to one of todays vehicles.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
no just a young fella who can't afford a mechanic.

Me too....................

I traded the Collie in on a new Collie LTZ today

Well done, new car smell just wish they still had the cup holders on the dash next to the vents....... Hope you have a great time with it.

I wouldn't know where to start if I had to do the same thing

Just getting past all the plastic and sound proofing, fiddly clips and hoses wears you out, need tool box the size of a pantech for all the various bolt head types or a BiC lighter and good insurance company.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Didn’t quite come out with spell check but I’m done with GM.
They have put Profit well ahead of the loyal Aust public.
So good buy and good riddance .

Reactions: davemc

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
No it’s fine.
don't be rude with GM
I have owned 6 holdens and even though I love this ute GM an get F#dked .
I can’t buy Ford but RAM is looking good for the future.
With Ram I cant square away that factory backed non-sense, and "re-manufactured" horse $hit, but on a slightly more positive note, the Ram mother ship has made some noise about direct Ram factory imports into Aus factory built rhd. The other issue Rams has is not very encouraging results in the annual JD Power dependability study. Its a real mine field .... until you open your mind and then the Troopy will rise above the charf like a apparition.

Just for $hits and Giggles, Safari/Armac were at the ARB stand on the w/e. They have a LC70 chip that is claimed to increase 150kW/450nm to 230kW and freaken 900nm at the fw and a claimed 5 year drive train warranty parallel with Toyotas.

Last edited: