New ute

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No need to brag about the Jeep @BJM, I already know it ......................... Know quite a few folks that come up from Vic and just park up at Innskip/Elliot Heads/Woodgate/NQ places for weeks and months at a time and it amazes me, especially the money spent on the rigs some they could just buy a holiday house up here.

Reactions: BJM

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Major problem 3 vans down the line here at Bargara CP,Brand new Cedar Park 5th wheeler,huge ,owner filling water tank lloud bang and it had ejected /tore its 250 litre water tank out the bottom ,should have been fighting the fires.!,had a look under neath ,made the Jayco look pretty well made.!,

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
D7171B68-3E6E-4E90-8C89-D052D8EF78BE.jpeg
New suspension fitted
TJM . Need to get 500ks then but for a check over.
544E528E-4672-415D-9B7C-0CCD00DA0B0D.jpeg
BE6644CD-5160-4B6B-B562-F09784D28B1F.jpeg
F767642F-FBB7-48C5-948D-043AD7F00DF5.jpeg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Measure the heights and don't loose them, good to compare later on, I think mine dropped about 5mm after 100,000km and when loaded up the rear dropped 15mm, never had problem with back being hard just the front .

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm surprised you need bags after getting new springs fitted, my old ute once the back was full of junk and Big Mal 225kg on ball dropped about 15 - 20mm....

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I only got the 250kg springs for a nice ride and with the van , with the rear of the Colorado packed, the rear drops alittle
And l like to keep it at the non hitched height more or less .
I fitted a TJM compressor with the outlet near the number plate so easy to pump air

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@davemc how much would you pay for there name after holden them selves have trashed it if they put v6s in colarados they would have out sold rangers i realy like them shame the 2.8
Sorry @mfexpanda .......there such a nice ute and yes sad to see them end no one will byeing any holden in car yards now tumbel weeds will be rolling through holden yards from tomoz all the people looseing there jobs its a bloody shame and all the money the tax payer gave them that worked out well but the collie is still a bloody nice ute best on market i reckon

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sorry sidetracking the thread. We talked at work today.
Classic Holden's I pay for one looked vintage and some new mod stuff.
The below is nicer than anything today.
Even old Gemini's , EH etc etc etc nicer then a Kia, Hyundia today
You do not get people saying well that 90's Astra was great I get one soon on club status.
Oh a vintage Captiva

holden-torana-a9x-3.jpg
SCA_555151_hi-res.jpg

holden-sandman-10.jpg

holden-hq-monaro-2.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If people bought them they would still be around, they didn't so they are gone and the Colorado will still be around, it will still be the same just a GM badge.......and classic cars will be just getting older as these new ones the electronics will fall to bits, doubt they will be around in 50 years......

Reactions: davemc

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
My son's partner owns an 8 year old non-maintained abused Holden Captiva, and about 4 months ago the auto completely $hat the biscuit. Being a Captiva and therefor worthless, compounded by the repeated curse of Captiva auto timebomb they werent prepared to spend a single cent on it. Just for $hits and giggles they took it to the local Holden dealer .... responce, "yep, all Holdens fault. We're super sorry and will immediately replaced the auto with a brand new one at zero cost to you". Ha, what timing, Holden dealers obviously seeing the writing on the wall prepared to label anything as warranty and "tax" GM while they could before the plug was pulled. So in short, not everyones loosing out here. Probably should have taken the boat motor and lawn mower in for some GM warranty love

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My Dad when he retired bought a new HZ Panel Van very specy with a nice V8, Statesmen grill and lights, dash and seats, manual box and it would go like the clappers, it was his pride and joy........ Wish I could have kept it.

Reactions: davemc

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
My Dad when he retired bought a new HZ Panel Van very specy with a nice V8, Statesmen grill and lights, dash and seats, manual box and it would go like the clappers, it was his pride and joy........ Wish I could have kept it.
I had a HJ 308 Monaro with the Statesman twin front, stroked 308, Turbo Hydra 400, Holley 650 mechanical double pump spread bore, balance 2 1/2 exhaust thru extractors, lowered ..... and sold many years ago, and im weeping

Reactions: DRW and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The Old Fella had the same engine but a manual box which was so well matched it was a dream to drive, it was a plain wrapper and blokes would pull up alongside him, see an old codger behind the wheel, their jaws sat on the road when he tickled the throttle and left them behind...so cool.............he fitted a Bosch electronic ignition right from the outset and that won me, he reckoned when it started to miss he just chucked the plugs, no mongrel points or plugs to clean , set and forget.................. damn I miss that Van.............. be a bit old now as we sold it in 83.............. Then it was just a Van to others, not the special vehicle with great memories, it was then I realized spending buckets of $$$ on vehicles is just a waste ...................... Might have been the great incentive as I retired at 59.....

No not really, well great incentive to not spend big on vehicles but retiring at 59 was just shear arse and I'm still smiling.

I didn't think you would be old enough to be around for the HJ @Crusty181 , mind I would have done up the seats.....

Reactions: Crusty181

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
My second car was an FJ Holden in about 1971, then an FC, followed by a HQ which was the last Holden I ever owned.
There was not a single mechanical part of the FJ or FC that I didn't work on.
Fell in love with the FJ when I first saw it driving around the streets of Maryborough, I was almost 18. Metalic blue body with a cream roof.
Front coils cut down, lowering blocks, stabilser bar, panhard rods, and anti tramp. 13" chrome wheels. Extractors and twin Stromberg carbies. semi hot cam.
Even found out it was owned by a clerk in the courthouse next to the telephone exchange where I worked. As it worked out I was sent to fix his telephone and I told him what a great car he had. He said did I want to buy it. He had just got married and his wife wanted him to get rid of it. Got it for $270.
Borrowed enough money from the credit union to buy it. I was earning $91 gross a fortnight.
There was a staff party on the evening I went to pick it up, so I picked it up, drove it home and parked it.
Came home around midnight, went to bed, but couldn't sleep with the FJ outside. It started raining and I slipped out and went to sleep in the car, with the rain pitter patter on the roof and 4BC playing on the removable Ferris radio mounted in the dash.

Later on I converted it from 6V to 12V.

Still annoys me to this day that there was a Ford Zephyr in town and no matter how many times we drag raced at midnight down the Boonooroo Straight, I could never beat him.

I suspect that makes me a Holden fan!!!

cheers
Mike

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I was under the impression that GM are leaving Australia at the end of 2020. If so, does that mean no GM models will be sold in Australia?

The article I read discussed the huge cost of producing RH drive versions for such a small market as Australia.

cheers
Mike