Starcraft New Starcraft 17.58-3 outback

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
Apparently I shouldn't be allowed at caravan shows...... Over the years, had a Dove and recently a WorknPlay which I was forced into selling. Been morning a van for the last three years.

Went to the Brissie show last Thursday, really liked the 17.58-3 outback layout. Bed is a little short and small, I'm 6'4, lucky my partner is tiny! My boy loved the bunks! Seemed a really good price too - the one at the show had a big fridge, roof aircon and show specials, aerial, TV and stuff. Then I get told a 6 month wait. I ask to buy the display van but nope, no dice. They want it on the lot and have only just got it. No matter what. So off I went.

Went back to the show public holiday Monday (just gone) this time with my 7 year old. He loves vans and camping. Saw old mate again and said there is no way I am waiting 6 months. He said 'you have to' and I said its 'sell me that display van or I buy something else somewhere else'. After a lot of talking - him with hierarchy, eventually they caved.

So, long story short, pick up the display 17.58-3 Outback next Wednesday, 6 days time. Can't wait to see the look on my little fellas face!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 677
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 662
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    834.7 KB · Views: 815

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well done @Big Fish and nice looking van.
We did similar as ours was ordered for show stock and was picked up even before it made out the front or taken to the Caravan and Camping show!!

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
I was pretty happy with the layout and I certainly was the price. I will deal with any issues that arise, no big deal. I can't recall whether there is a window over the sink or not? Clearly I don't pay that much attention! Haha. I'm glad it was stock and I didn't have to pick colours or anything - easier for me that way.

I am now madly rushing to wire up my brake controller, Anderson plug etc before next Wednesday.

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
I believe so Dave. He asked what I had, I told him 12 pin and asked if I had an Anderson plug, I said I will when I pick it up.

Pain in the arse Ford, I had to buy an LED adapter to run the lights on the van - can't plug it straight in.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes I got the lights fixed on the Land rover. Auto elect who put in 12 pin plug said do it on caravan, the auto elec jayco put us on to said he put it in car not van as a part for it now.
Hence he ran another cable in car. Yes all fun

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Love your work @Big Fish your persistence paid off. Talk about putting on the hard word.
Did you see any other vans you liked at the show?
Must've been a great show to go to.
Cheers Deano

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
Cheers Deano. Some good gear there especially around that $60k mark. I tell you who make a nice rig is JB. Their family dirt roader for $60 is a well built bit of kit.

It's just hard to justify an extra $17 odd thou though for essentially the same outcome. I might have some little issues and ultimately it may not be as solid but for the price difference, I will live with it. It will put some smiles on our dials and that's all that matters.

The little fella doesn't know it's being picked up Wednesday so when he comes home to me Saturday morning, the van will be hooked up and ready to go out for a virgin night sleepover. Can't wait to see his face!

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
Weekend of wiring done. The Ranger is now sporting a dedicated Anderson plug at the rear with a self resetting fuse and isolator switch in the engine bay. Tekonsha P3 all wired in, new super LED reversing lamp (work floodlight) on its own fused relay on the towbar (turns night into day when reverse is selected at night! Haha).

UHF wired in along with a new reversing camera as well.

I wouldn't be an auto sparky for anything! Hands are too big.

Reactions: cruza driver