14' Series New member from Victoria

PRADO KEV

Feb 22, 2012
Mornington Peninsula
After viewing Expandas Down under for 4 months I have finally become a member. The sharing of information from one member to another has been invaluable as I have just had handover of my 2012 14.44.5 expanda. Jayco has removed the bunks and have incorporated a full ensuite. Shower is seperate, vanity unit with sink and Thetford 200 swivel toilet. The prototype at Sandown leisurefest in October 2011 had couple of slight changes for example the ensuite did have a flimsy door on a hinge even at the show the door started to show wear an tear. They have replaced the door opening with a good quality curtain. Hinges on some of the cupboards were swapped over to the other side of the door for ease of access. Fridge and microwave are raised so no issues with having to bend over to use fridge and removing items safely from the microwave. The van was ordered with battery, solar panel, television & CD player. One of the things I wasn't expecting was having the television wired via the pioneer sound system so you have a "home theatre" , you can switch from internal speakers to outside. Who said you have to rough it with this camping caper. The van was dellivered 1 week ahead of schedule. Can't wait to get on the road and see the wide brown land. One final note is what is the official age you need to be to become a "grey nomad"? All I say is bring it on, life is just tooooooo short.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Can't wait to get on the road and see the wide brown land. One final note is what is the official age you need to be to become a "grey nomad"? All I say is bring it on, life is just tooooooo short.

Hi Kev and welcome,

I agree with you on that thought, bring it on. We too are just looking forward to travels all over the place.

Enjoy your time on here, it is great site.

kimlouise

Jan 19, 2012
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Welcome Kev,
Great to see another peninsula person on the forum. Did you get your van from Page Bros.? There has been a bit of debate on the forum about whether innerspring mattresses are standard on 2012 models. Did you pay extra for yours? I called them today and the salesman said he did not know. He was going to follow it up with the factory.....still waiting to hear back.
So far I have learnt heaps from this site and we have not even taken delivery of our new van yet!!!

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
Hi Kev, we ordered our 14.44.5 two weeks ago and are finding it hard to have to wait until May for it. We will be interested to hear what you think of your once you have taken it away a few times. We think the sliding cupboard doors in the ensuite are extremely flimsy and may turn into a warranty headache for Jayco, but otherwise we were happy with everything else. The home theatre setup sounds interesting and hopefully ours is the same too. We have ordered ours with awning, air con, extended draw bar, tv, stereo with external speakers, tv and wind up aerial, picnic table, battery, outback pack, trig hitch, 2 gas bayonets, control panel, external shower and inner spring mattress.

Please keep up us updated with your travels, and enjoy your new toy.

Cheers Glenn and Roxy

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome Kev, good to see another 14 footer on the forum. I am waitng for our local caravan show to have a look at the 14-44-5 so will be interested to hear your thoughts on it. As to age for 'grey nomads', just get on the road and enjoy it and if you are retired and travel a lot you will probably be considered one. :thumb:

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Welcome aboard kev enjoy the ride and your van your right tooooo much to see and not enough time to see it work keeps interfering with holiday time

PRADO KEV

Feb 22, 2012
Mornington Peninsula
thanks for the nice response. With regards to the innerspring mattress it was classed as an "inclusion" when I signed the contract. I purchased the van at the Leisurefest and the van was prepared by Bayswater Jayco. Nice bunch of people who no their stuff.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome Kev,

Saw that model in the flesh for the first time on the weekend, and it lived up to my expextation. A great little van that has everything a travelling couple could need, enjoy!