New Member and new 17.56-2 Outback on order

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
Hi Everyone,

With our first Expanda on order for delivery in early December, thought it was time to introduce myself before it arrives and hopefully get some good tips and advice.

With the wife and 3 kids, (4yrs, 2yrs and 3 weeks), we've ordered the 17.56-2 Outback with the Awning, RM2555 Fridge, Roof Air Con, Privacy Screens, RV Control Pannel, Windup Tv Antenna, External Shower, Solar Provision, Anderson Plug, External Gas Bayonet & Simplicity Suspension.

I look forward to any advise along the way and sharing some pics when it arrives - and hopefully some great adventures.

Cheers,

Glenn

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for the welcome guys..

A quick question - is it better to have Jayco fit a battery or cheaper after delivery? What type of battery does Jayco supply & what is the maximum size that will fit in the supplied battery box? Any other suggestions to make life easy greatly appreciated..

December seems so far away... waiting.. waiting..

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Get them to do the battery - they are heavy and it will alter your tare weight and come out of your payload.

We are getting one in our 17.56-2 standard - 100 ah deep cycle.

Know what the wait is like - we have been waiting since mid-June!:pray:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome Glenn.

Looks like you've picked a great model for a young growing family. What are you towing with?

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
We'll be towing it with a Toyota Prado 150 diesel, so hopefully enough to get it up the hills.. Seems to be able to open door without extended draw bar, so hope it works..
Have added the battery in, so one less thing to worry about at pickup.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Confirmation / sign off on the build is finally here. Yay!!!!
From experience, how long does it take to build / leave the factory after the confirmation?
How long do most dealers need prior to handover?

I've got a few questions about accessories if anyone has the time..
-most useful lengths of hoses - water & grey
-most suitable power cord length
-leveling blocks / chocks
-best seasoning / weather treatment for Canvas
-mirrors for Prado 150 (I've seen previous posts on diff types of mirrors, any advice on Prado 150 specific? :) )
-any other essentials?

Cheers, Glenn

Looking forward to the first trip. Now for the planning.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
we had our date from dealer (for day after father's day), though this was delayed for 2 weeks due to manufacturing issues experienced by jayco september. dealer needs the van to fit out what ever options you've ordered,typically 1 week. should you be getting annexe made for the awning then that gets done first usually so everything is fitted off and checked.we use the elastic rubber added mirrors on our tow vehicle, they work for us. get the correct drinking quality supply hose (usually white colored, leave the length but i suggest getting the carry netting bags for it,much neater for packing), drain hose from bunnings works good(lentgh usually dumps of quick from whereever yourve parke dthe van), need to be a 15A rated power lead (parks are now asking for it to be labeled with a test and tag compliance nowadays too. as for chocks, thiswill an experiment for the first few times though carry a varient of them, car shops usually have a good budget choice till you are certain of what you want to carry then replace with better sturdy quality type

page bros were right on the monely for us and great to deal with, the wife even got me another present that weekend seeding as i had to wait 2 weeks more for the van!!(the 2 weeks more was worse then the projected wait from build, but this is no concelation to you, is it.great choice of van)

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We have 4 kids and are looking at ordering the same - what were your reasons for the simplicity suspension - did you get the swivel coupling - we also have a 150 prado diesel - I have just posted a new post asking lots of questions prior to ordering ours so that we can make the right decisions. What also were your reasons for the external shower -as we have been considering that as well.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
We have 4 kids and are looking at ordering the same - what were your reasons for the simplicity suspension - did you get the swivel coupling - we also have a 150 prado diesel - I have just posted a new post asking lots of questions prior to ordering ours so that we can make the right decisions. What also were your reasons for the external shower -as we have been considering that as well.

Hi there Busybusymum, the simplicity suspension was one of those things that I read a lot about, and guess it sounded like would work well. It's used a bit in some of the more expensive off-road vans, and eventually I want to take the Expanda into Central Aus. I like the idea of the extra clearance in the middle. I'm a little worried about the flat tire problems, although may consider tyre pressure monitors in the future. The cost for upgrade wasn't excessive, so took the jump.

With respect to the swivel coupling - well.... The 6 week pre delivery confirmation came before I could make up my mind on that one.. I'm leaning towards the Hyland Hitch, mainly because it can be used with the WDH when on the open road, and taken off for river crossings etc.. A lot of the other hitches with more articulation don't allow for the WDH. The price I was quoted for a Hyland Coupling fitted from Jayco was around $20 more than buying it and fitting it myself, supposedly they use the same mounting holes, so should be an easy fit at a later stage - probably a few months down the track - or before the big adventures.

At the moment I'm still debating the which Weight Distribution Hitch to use.. The Eaz Lift or Hayman Reese - mostly with respect to how low it hangs / setup / door opening / length etc. I have the PRADO Kakadu, so has the Air Bags in the rear already, so this may also make a difference.

The external shower was ordered mostly for the sandy / muddy conditions for washing the kids off prior to getting into the Caravan.

Another option we took was to match the table tops to the Kitchen bench - Thought it would look nicer, guess time will tell..

Good luck in the decision making process!!

Reactions: busybusymum

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Wow thanks for your help on this - really appreciate the info on the simplicity suspension and the hyland hitch/ WDS because that is my real concern - I would like a swivel coupling but think we also need to get the WDS with the towing capacity of 2500 with the Prado. I have asked the dealership for an estimated ATM given all we are interested in (see my previous post on "What options should we get for 17.56-2") and they have indicated ATM of 2400-2450kg - pretty close to the mark for a 2500kg towing Prado. That is why I think we should probably go the WDS - although I really wanted the swivel coupling - perhaps the hyland hitch will suit both!. Maybe next vehicle we will have to get a 200 series cruiser! OOpps Kids yelling thirsty and hungry so better finish dinner before hubby gets home with the first one from Ballet. May need to fit a ballet bar to outside of van to convince the oldest to take a year off ballet! in 2013/14.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Busybudymum - Which Prado 150??? :) I have the Kakadu, which has the self levelling suspension. The Toyota dealer indicated should need / use WDH with it. I'm now totally confused. Can't find a definite answer anywhere. 2500kg without WDH seems a lot. I have the original Toyota tow bar also, mainly because it looked stronger than HR. Now Toyota said can't use with this towbar, although lots do. Go figure. Six weeks to pickup, and can't decide.