New insurance question!

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
If you are free camping and you leave your van locked but unattended and something happens are you insured? We were discussing this over a cappuccino at Ledge Pt caravan park this afternoon. I am going to check with GIO for piece of mind next week but thought someone may already know!:focus:

Reactions: Roh

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
I would think so, what difference would there be to being stopped at the local Woolies and some one breaks in?

But I am no expert! :tape:

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
I was thinking free camping more isolated, more people maybe less likely. Don't know . Insurance companies can have weird exclusions., so just thought I would ask the question.:violin:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
i personally would think yes, if you could take your van there on a road (classification of road is anything that can be driven at more than 20 km/h), then why shouldnt the van be insured if you have used it on a road to get to where ever you are free camping.

would double check for piece of mind. would be interested to hear the result jenny/greg. cheers pace.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Do you have your car insured with GIO also? Would you expect GIO to pay up if you took that to a remote beach and the car got broken into whilst skinny dipping?
What's the difference if the van was attached to the back and both the van and car got broken into?

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
Hi jennymay
Tend to agree with all comers. Whether van is at a van park, a car park, in your driveway or at a free camp or anywhere really, i believe it should have no bearing at all to the insurance company. Would be good to double check for peace of mind but can't see there being a problem. They are not really a high risk area I would have thought, usually just a couple of other travellers doing the same as you, resting up b4 the next leg of their adventure.
Cheers
Roh.