Discovery New Discovery - 17.55-SH Outback

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Hi all:)

I have been feeding off this forum for some time now, so thanks to all the contributors!

I will be finally taking delivery of a 17.55-5SH OB next week. We (family) can't wait now. Had it ordered since late last year after selling our beloved Dove.

My question is upon taking delivery, are there any things I should look for prior to handing over our hard earned $ ?

I will be picking it up from Brisbane Camperland.

Just for interest, our order looks something like this;
OB
Awning
120w solar / battery
side access under bed
oudoor shr
Roof air con
bike rack
extended draw bar
side table
gas bayonett
drifter control panel
delete microwave

Thanks in advance.

Mat

Reactions: norm walker

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome Mat!!!

It sounds like a great upgrade coming :).

Can't wait to see some pics bet your getting excited and counting the sleeps...

I have listed some things I check when picking up a van.

Hope this helps out :)!

Exterior -
Awning (Roll in, out, remove legs from van and stand them up, how much tension and roll back in)
Annexe (Setup, packup etc)
Gas system (How to switch bottles, operate stove, gas bayonets if you have them)
Beds (How to drop, close and securely lock with fly screens)
Breakaway System (Make sure you know how to connect to car for safety and operation of breaksafe)
Spare tyre (Where is the jack, bar to spin it up and tyre iron and how to get the spare off)
Tyres (Nitrogen filled how to get replacement air if it goes flat, can you fill them up at a servo??)
Drop Down Jacks (Where is the rotator, how to put down and up and best way to level van. Also check you have a leveller in the van they usually give you one)
External Shower (Working and how to operate)
Brakes (Brake controller setup and working correctly and how to adjust)
Gas Bayonet (How to connect, fitting needed, where they are located)
Hot water (Turn on / off, Change from Gas / Electric)
Trunk door (Where they are located and how to operate some are tricky like the hot water one)
Picnic table (How to operate)
Water (Turn valves on water tanks to change from tank water / mains water)
Solar Panels (How to operate, where they are etc)
Cleaning the van (How to wash, with what products etc)
Water fitting (How to connect mains water, fitting required and type of hose required)
Power 240 input (How to connect power to the van)
Antenna (How to connect antenna to the van and what socket is required)
Waste hoses for shower and sink (Does it have the two into socket drain if its a shower model, where to connect, waste pipe etc)
Roof (How to undo latches, how to adjust them, what is the right tension adjustment for them)
All exterior lighting working (Annexe light / Indicators etc)

Interior -
Battery (What to have switched on when driving so battery charges)
Roof (Single operated procedure for putting up and down)
Toilet (Remove waste tank, refilling waste tank, refilling wash tank, flushing, using the unit hole open or closed big debate :) )
TV Antenna (How to switch from powered roof antenna to side wall antenna)
Stereo (How to turn on off, switch speakers if you have outdoor speakers)
Bunks (How to collapse, safe for travelling, ladder security and placement)
Water system (How to use water filter, hand pump tap, mains tap, where the water pump is, is it plugged in and working, hot water working to shower and sink)
Microwave (Plugged in and working, where is the manual etc)
Stove and Griller (Plugged in and working)
Air con (How to turn on, cool, heat etc and if it is roof mounted how to operate the remote)
All drawers / cupboards (Make sure they have all screws in them and open close)
Windows (How to open and close everyone)
Locks EVERY SINGLE ONE (Make sure they all work and all keys have a place to go)
Bed Converter (How to convert bed)
Power Points Internal and External (Where are they and are they working on 240 and 12 volt. Take a car phone charger and a house charger and plug your phone into all sockets with both chargers and make sure they have power)
Range Hood (Make sure working, how to operate)
Light switches (Make sure all working and have something they operate)
Fuse box (Where it is, what to replace and when)
Battery (Where is it, plugged in etc)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, matsoutback. That is an impressive list of options for the van, glad the forum could help you decide. You would have noticed all the help and advice the members provide to each other and to newcomers. Expanda has provided you with a comprehensive list to check on pickup, but others may find something he has missed. :)

Not long to wait now and you might just get in some time away during school holidays. Enjoy the van and post some pictures when the van arrives, let us know how the pick up goes.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Mat and welcome to the forum.
Dove to discovery, nice move!
Good luck with the pick up, keep us all posted.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Welcome Mat, :welcome: to the forum too.

Nice choice of Van also I like that model Disco :thumb:
I look forward to following your travels

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I will post up some happy snaps once its in my possession. Brisbane Camperland have already sent me some photos when it arrived at the yard. It appears as though Jayco got the order right, phew.... First check!
The fam is off for a month to explore the southern part of this great country of ours in May, from the sunny coast. It will be a great adventure with the new van. I just can't wait to be able too pull over for a quick nap during the day, something our dove just could not do. Our boys are very excited to each have their own bed too!

Mat

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
We only have one "goal", to get to Wilsons Promontory. We will take the coastal road both ways, and just wing it for camps / parks. The Discovery is good for free camps with solar etc, so we are pretty flexible and I do prefer basic facilities over sardine caravan park layouts.

I know its a no-no, but in the Dove, we used to tour with the fridge on gas (without issue BTW), this time I plan to be a good boy and run it on 12v when travelling.

What is the standard wiring convention from Jayco in respect to battery charging and fridge power from the tug? It has the 12pin socket.

Wilko

Dec 20, 2012
Parkes NSW
Hi Matt,

Ive just taken delivery of exactly the same van last thursday. Im happy with it bar the position of the TV mount (could have been higher to stop hitting our heads) and the locks could have been all keyed alike.

I'm also not happy with (but knew about well before i bought) the protection of the wiring/ plumbing underneath.

All in all a good van

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Well Brissie Camperland here you come. Good luck with hand-over. Have your check off list ready.
Post some pics when you get a chance.
Cheers Deano

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Well, she is home, the holiday capsule.. Had an uneventful trip home and the "towrig" did a stunning job, again.
IMG_3491.jpg

Safely home and backed into it's storage area....
IMG_3494.JPG

A moment of relief, when the Webber fitted.
IMG_3495.JPG

There were a few little things needing attention, the seat base had fabric "pulls", they are getting replaced and little quality control things I touched up, not unexpected, but better than I thought it could have been.

The only question I have is the 12v water pump operation, it sounds like there is air in the line, as it is not a continuous stream, but rather a spatter effect. Is this normal, or should I be looking for a pin hole size air leak? There appears to be no actual water leaks BTW.

Anyway, thanks for check list and support, and I hope I can be of assistance to anyone else at some time.

Mat

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Mat,
Nice rig and congrats.
Not sure about your model, but with ours this would happen when I had both water tanks switched over to supply and they were getting low. One may be a little higher and seemed to draw a bit of air. Other than that no issue here. Not sure if you have one tank or two. We found Camperland to be good, being first timers though the handover was a bit overwhelming, trying to remember everything.
Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

PS if you haven't already make sure you nominate where you are from, need to catch NSW :)
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/where-are-you-from.162/page-6

jas