Need more power

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Ford has changed engine and gearbox I think, interesting the Holden ran 2nd but I think loads need to be more realistic, I want to know tranny temps and I don't think 2lt engines will really go the distance in the long run working them pretty hard...................... Son with a BT50 manual says he wished he had an auto as the manual has poor low gears for hills and manouvers with a big van on the back.

I am with you @Drover regarding the durability of a 2 litre donk pulling 3 to 3.5 tonne load over longer times and in harsh conditions, no matter how many gears it has. It still has to go through them to get up to pace and be able to hold that pace too, and that usually means higher engine speeds. Yes, the trannie temps would be interesting to record on some long hard pulls with a few twists and turns to cause the gear box to work hard, even if manually selected. IMHO, a 3 litre turbo charged with 6 speeds would handle the work for much longer periods without less servicing problems in the long run.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Just put a deposit on a new Suzuki 4x4 1 litre with tri turbo pulls 3.5 tons with ease states the brochure.Then I woke up,!! now a Ranger Raptor with a Coyote V8 ,jee I am excited.!!!

Reactions: DRW and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It would still be Cafe Tractor.......... doubt the GCM would increase.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yes, probably right about the gvm but with the 5ltr V8 you could make 2 or 3 very quick trips back and fwd with any extra gear you require

True but it can't tow Big Mal so not much use, 2.5t tow cap and a 5.3 GCM hell a Pajero can do better, possibly a Prado as well... :p:p:p:p:biggrin1: ......... RAM all the way I say...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
True but it can't tow Big Mal so not much use, 2.5t tow cap and a 5.3 GCM hell a Pajero can do better, :p:p:p:p:biggrin1: ......... RAM all the way I say...
I see the diesel and one petrol variant are only rated at 3.5t towing. The "eats utes for breakfast" isnt truly accurate when you look at their spec sheet

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If I could splash that much coin it would be the Hemi with the 4.5t tow, more than enough to tow Big Mal , even the diesel (same as my Jeep) would keep a smile on my face) I'd be doing it in style and it would fit in the garage with a few mm to spare ........................could even carry a Bigga Boat with it......

Reactions: mfexpanda

Walsh Mob

Jan 25, 2020
Kuridala Qld
Yep Grand Cherokee's are the goods, we've owned two and they do everything you want them too and more for a lot less money than the well over priced Toyota's. We also have had Hi-lux (which by the way are very breakable) prado Kakadu which is on the market so we can upgrade to another Grand Cherokee and the 200 series ( we don't get me started on it it cost us an arm and a leg after the whole fuel system let us down. We do test our cars out here , well the roads do anyway. I'm not saying that the Jeeps don't have their lemons but at $40,000 less from entry level to top of the line, Jeep wins it hands down for me and they're a lot more comfy.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So long as ypu keep away from dealers, hardly ever hear of problems from those that use other mechanics and that goes for many vehicle brands..... Like computers beware of software upgrades.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@RobRoy hows the decsion going after the christmas trip towing 2800 ks well there about the cruiser did very well most impressed with its power avarage cost 17 to 19 per 100 draging over 5 tonne with any car..... thats car weight and van weight togeather ..... its going to cop it anyone who says other wize is full of it thats a lot of weight ..... i looked hard at colarados but i didnt think they weighed enough much less than my van and small motor working too hard ..... shame i like them climbing in and out of the ute didnt sound good .... would need a alloy box

Reactions: RobRoy