Need more power

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
Hi all,
We are looking at upgrading our 16ft expanda, although we love it. It’s time for shower/toilet for a 12 month lap.
Everything we liked is over 2800 ATM.
Too much for the Pajero sport in my humble opinion.
So my question is, what next. Should I just bite the bullet and get a land cruiser?

sierramason

Jul 15, 2015
melbourne
Get a landcruiser you can't go wrong

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 328
Reactions: Bluey

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
As the owner of a Pajero Sport myself I agree that a van weighing 2800kg would be too much for it and that you probably do need to upgrade. Not only for the power but also as the PS is only rated to 3.1t you’d be very close to being overweight.
The only option (power wise) to an upgrade would be to get it chipped but that comes with its own set of problems plus there is still the problem of weight to contend with.

For a number of reasons we have recently upgraded from our Sport to a Mazda BT50. Haven't taken delivery yet but the BT is in the country.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Have a look and a drive of a say 2 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel if you go second hand..Will out perform any other SUV on the market for comfort and towing capacity (plus has full off road capability )other than a LC.Do not believe all the negative remarks about Jeep.I have worked on Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for 25 years.currently own WH 2010 GC diesel,and a WK2 2012 GC diesel Overland.If you think other makes do not have problems go on the forums !! eg LC 200 diesels are still having injector/pump problems which can cost upwards of $10.000.0 to fix.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you want a wagon, Yep Grand Cherokee is the goods, not overpriced and not as much weight tax as a Cruiser, if you want room for gear then a dual cab tray back with an alloy shed on the back, things like fuel, water, Genny etc don't pose the usual problems you get with a wagon and you don't have to unpack to get something as you do with a tub.....power to tow is not an issue.

Reactions: RobRoy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My 22ft Coromal XC has ensuite, HWS and washing machine and its ATM is just 2.8t, it has 265 75x16 wheels so sits high so shop around as there are some exceedingly heavy rigs around, ignore the Tare and worry about the ATM its the important one...........If you have a 3.5 t tow cap vehicle in the real world that equates to a max of 2.9t because once you load you tug and van up you will be getting close to the GCM of the tug, and really if you are towing close to GCM it usually means heaps of fuel and your carrying lots of junk, fuel, tyre wear and just generally giving the vehicle a hard time doesn't do things good....

3.5t tow cap tug usually has a GVM of 3 - 3.1t and a GCM of around 6 t.

Van ATM at 2.9t = very close to bingo on the scales.

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
My 22ft Coromal XC has ensuite, HWS and washing machine and its ATM is just 2.8t, it has 265 75x16 wheels so sits high so shop around as there are some exceedingly heavy rigs around, ignore the Tare and worry about the ATM its the important one...........If you have a 3.5 t tow cap vehicle in the real world that equates to a max of 2.9t because once you load you tug and van up you will be getting close to the GCM of the tug, and really if you are towing close to GCM it usually means heaps of fuel and your carrying lots of junk, fuel, tyre wear and just generally giving the vehicle a hard time doesn't do things good....

3.5t tow cap tug usually has a GVM of 3 - 3.1t and a GCM of around 6 t.
That is the problem with the Pajero sport 3.1 max, but only 5400 total
Van ATM at 2.9t = very close to bingo on the scales.
That is the problem with the Pajero sport, 3.1t max but only a 5400 combined weight. Most of the van are about 2.8 atm with the car weighing prob 2.4 with us in it. All getting a bit close

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
LC 200 diesels are still having injector/pump problems which can cost upwards of $10.000.0 to fix.
@Bluey has just taken delivery of his lovely, very long awaited much obsessed LC200. You know when the dog dies, and you can tell the kids either it died, or its gone to a farm ... you've just done the equivalent of "the dogs just dropped dead @Bluey" :angel-87: :o:angel: :o:angel-87: :o :angel:

Reactions: Bluey and RobRoy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Bluey has just taken delivery of his lovely, very long awaited much obsessed LC200. You know when the dog dies, and you can tell the kids either it died, or its gone to a farm ... you've just done the equivalent of "the dogs just dropped dead @Bluey" :angel-87::o:angel::o:angel-87::o:angel:

You are a cruel, evil, Sh*t stirrer oh Crusty one .......... Next you'll be saying you sold that old surf board to the kid down the street....

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I tryed to bye a nissan but just couldnt

and couldn't afford a Ram so I suppose a Cruisoyta is the next best thing a working fella could buy.......... though you know you "Shoulda bought a Jeep".....the perfect vehicle for the train commuter.

Sorry @RobRoy for running off topic, keeps it at the top of the pile though..................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Also @RobRoy when you subtract the ball weight from the ATM you are transferring it to the tug, big vans usually around 225kgs, that is then taken away from your load cap of the tug, add bums on seat and a tank of fuel and there's not much left if any....Many worry about van weight but the tug is easy to go over as well....its a big headache, get the highest tow cap vehicle with generous carrying cap....

Reactions: BJM

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
The Gx landcruiser has 100kgs more then Glx Vx and sahara most of the time better suspencion is needed so a Gvm up grade is not that expencive and covers everything and gives you 50 to 60 mm lift giddy up ........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ford has changed engine and gearbox I think, interesting the Holden ran 2nd but I think loads need to be more realistic, I want to know tranny temps and I don't think 2lt engines will really go the distance in the long run working them pretty hard...................... Son with a BT50 manual says he wished he had an auto as the manual has poor low gears for hills and manouvers with a big van on the back.