17' Series need advice quick

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
I just got a new VIN plate as my new van had 2500kg chain welded on but the Vin had 2524kg so failed rego so they sent me a new plate. So my van is only good for 2500 now I probably will go over it as i have 3 water tanks?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Having the ATM on the plate downgraded to 2500 is a good thing @Stephen Galvin as that is the limit for the Prado as well.
Once it is rego'd I'd suggest filling the water tanks, loading it with the most items (Clothes, food, toys etc that you'll be taking) and put it over a weighbridge again and see what it weighs.

If over 2500 play around and remove what you think you may not need and re-weigh. If it goes over the 2500 limit by a few kg's travel with the middle water tank empty or half empty and fill up close to your camp spot (Unless you need 200+ litres of water before then)

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Need to fit valves between the two tanks at the rear as there inter connected. Would have to use the rear tank first as well as the pickup is on the end of the rear tank. Ahhh so much sensible stuff to do that shouldve been thought out before. :) heading to Warroora 25th Sept for 14 days so need to get tables in place under the front hatch , Rock tamers maybe the Rock Stompers these look the best to me? Move wheel to rear and fit toolbox? But funds are a bit low see how we go.

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
I find the weight variance between these vans to be huge. How come your ATM is on 2524 and mind happens to be 2627. I do not have enough extras to add up to 100kg... Maybe I have a lot more silicon or electrical tape holding mine together....o_O

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Sorry to hear about your Dad @Bluey but I would imagine he will be watching down on your adventures.
Good to hear that the pickup went well and looking forward to your wife getting the photo's on here for you.....

Interesting that the dealer mentioned about fitting a box and the other mods..... Have spoken to our salesman since doing some of these mods and he made no mention of this?????

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
should come to beafort lake van park for a quick weekend I hear 17 triton is bringing heaps of wood mite be more of a bon fire or an old gy forks night I also heard his trailor mite be the fire box ???? at least we will be warm
Stop spreading rumours about my trailer @Bluey!!! Lol. So sorry to hear about your dad mate, that is a beautiful thought with the message on the van too. Our thoughts are with you mate.

Reactions: Bluey

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Dagree ur a man of experance have air bags on prado drops about 30mm with van on will I need weight distbrution bars I wonder how much deisal it will eat being auto ???????? but seemed to tow it pretty good

@Bluey ... If I'm reading right you're saying the rear end drops 30mm with the airbags pumped up? What pressure are you running in the airbags?
My recommendation would be to use WDH system if you can.... And that's with airbags and without. Unfortunately can't use the WDH bars with the hitch we have but luckily sits OK with the heavy duty suspension and airbags.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Depending on the brand of airbag @Bluey you should be able to pump them up to 30psi..... Main thing is that the van and car sit as level as possible (+- 10mm from normal I was told?). And with the new springs should be OK. Did you replace the shockies as well?

Give it a few short runs and see how you go before spending the $'s on WDH.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Guessing being blue they would be firestone brand.... not sure of maximum pressure for them.
I'm running Polyair and they are 30psi maximum.... 25-26psi gets the Prado and van level.
Also use an adjustable tow hitch on the Prado and have it and the van hitch set at the same height (Prior to connection) with the airbags not pumped up. Pump the airbags up before hooking up and all level.

You'd love it over here and LOL at asking for the halfway sticker!!

Buckleys

Jul 25, 2014
hi all its bluey my van has arrived at dealer he said he was going to cap the 1756-2 weight at 2499
but my tare is 21something and my atm is 2590 im 90 kgs over for the prados 2500max
maybe stupid question but they should cap it yea he says it will be fine of corse but is this a worry for insurance !!!!!!!!! don't pic it up until august the 4th
Hi Bluey,
Can I ask, is your OB? We have ordered our 1756-2OB to pick up in Sept, we also have a Hilux & Prado (both 2500) but we are looking to upgrade the Hilux to a Landcruiser.... as the OB would weigh more???
Thanks, Kylie

Buckleys

Jul 25, 2014
hi Kylie yes its an OB my tare is 21 something and ATM is 2499 had it capped at that all seems good prado towed it well back from geelong im sure big hills will slow me down but even bigger cars will suffer that pain too what extras have u ordered my prado is 2007 auto deisal
Thanks for that! We were considering upgrading the Hilux to a land cruiser!!! But think that we will get it plated to 2500kg for the Prado & Hilux to tow and see how we go!! We will ask the dealer if we can get the 2 compliance plates so if we do decide to upgrade at some point we will not have a problem! Who did you get insurance through?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Guessing being blue they would be firestone brand.... not sure of maximum pressure for them.
I'm running Polyair and they are 30psi maximum.... 25-26psi gets the Prado and van level.
Also use an adjustable tow hitch on the Prado and have it and the van hitch set at the same height (Prior to connection) with the airbags not pumped up. Pump the airbags up before hooking up and all level.

You'd love it over here and LOL at asking for the halfway sticker!!
hay dagree I brought my WDH today quoted 820 from tow bar shop a good local one so shopped around got the same thing 650 from big parts shop in melb now my chains are to short I asked them to make them longer but they never did !!!!!

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Good find and it pays to shop around.
Chains on the van? If so make sure you get rated chain to extend it and use hammerlock joiner to join them together. As far as I know that's the only legal way without welding new chains!

Might have to look at this option as well as I fitted a new towbar to the Prado on the weekend and holes for shackles are further away from the draw bar... Will be hooking it up to check on the weekend!

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for that! We were considering upgrading the Hilux to a land cruiser!!! But think that we will get it plated to 2500kg for the Prado & Hilux to tow and see how we go!! We will ask the dealer if we can get the 2 compliance plates so if we do decide to upgrade at some point we will not have a problem! Who did you get insurance through?

Hi again Buckleys, you can definitely get 2 plates. I have just done it. One has ATM capped at 2500 to be in line with paj and other is 2627 should i decide to buy another car. The 2627 one was in an envelope and is easy to change over later. i rang rego dept in SA and they said it was fine. Push your dealer is he says it can't be done.

Reactions: Buckleys