17' Series need advice quick

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
If I understand your question right I think it doesn't matter what it says on the plate on the van as long as the actual weight you are towing doesn't exceed the max capacity of the vehicle towing it. If the Tare is 2100 and the ATM is 2590 and your Parado can only tow 2500 then you are only allowed to put 400kgs of stuff in the van where as if you had a vehicle that could tow more then you could add another 90kgs

Reactions: achjimmy

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Hi Bluey,
When I ordered my 16-49-4 the dealer told me if the gtm of the van was over the gtm of my vehicle I Wouldn't be
Able to leave the premises with it. And as I understand if you were involved in an accident the insurance company
Would look straight at the compliance plate regardless of how much you were carrying, and immediately
Wipe you. I would be asking the dealer to down grade your ATM to match your vehicle otherwise your basically
un insured. If you are involved in a serious accident they will not pick up everything off the highway and weigh it they will just look at the compliance plates. If your not picking it up till august 4 the dealer has plenty of time to order a new compliance plate. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Bluey

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Hi, we are in the same situation. The law says this is legal but the insurance company will not cover you unless what you are towing is within your cars specifications. Tell them you can't pick up the van or pay for it until your ATM is adjusted to 2500 kg. The dealer can easily get another plate.

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
I would rather be safe than sorry I think. Apparently The ATM on a plate can be redone afterwards by an engineer, so long as it does not exceed the axel loading of 2667 which the expanda 1756 has (tare cannot be changed though). Might be a bit of mucking around later on if you decide to sell or change cars, but worth it.

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Bluey, can I ask what extras on top of standard you got with your van? Does it have the 2 batteries and 2 solar panels? If capped at 2500 kg you are still able to carry 385 kg which if careful is doable.

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Should be ok I think. Just remember to carry heavy stuff such as generator etc in car boot maybe. I wanted to put a tool box on the front but am thinking twice about it due to weight factor. Keeping only one tank full and filling the other on arrival is probably a good solution. Most towns have water to fill up at. I think pajeros or prados are not going to fall apart if 50 kg overweight... It's that ATM plate that really counts to insurance companies in the event of a major accident.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
there was a post on here recently were a member got the answer from SA roads. its your loaded weight, not plated weight. just like car trailers.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
there was a post on here recently were a member got the answer from SA roads. its your loaded weight, not plated weight. just like car trailers.
The problem there is if you are involved in something and it all goes pear shaped and all your vans contents are strewn all over the road, water tanks are all split and empty, then there is no way of knowing the loaded weight, so the plated weight will be looked at. I bet you could argue until you're blue in the face with your insurance company that you weren't fully loaded, but proving that will be impossible.
I saw an accident recently on the Calder Hwy where a van had managed to flip onto its side and contents were all over the road. The back wheels of the 100LC towing it were in the air, and the van was still attached.

The risk is just not worth it, IMHO.

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Correct. It was me who contacted transport sa and got this advice. The up shot is it is not illegal the tow the van... However all insurance companies I have seen will not cover you if a goes over cars max rating during a major accident where things cannot be weighed. During these times they will use the ATM of the caravan. Not worth the risk really.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The problem there is if you are involved in something and it all goes pear shaped and all your vans contents are strewn all over the road, water tanks are all split and empty, then there is no way of knowing the loaded weight, so the plated weight will be looked at. I bet you could argue until you're blue in the face with your insurance company that you weren't fully loaded, but proving that will be impossible.
I saw an accident recently on the Calder Hwy where a van had managed to flip onto its side and contents were all over the road. The back wheels of the 100LC towing it were in the air, and the van was still attached.

The risk is just not worth it, IMHO.

Sorry Matt don't agree. Do they assume you are speeding as well because your speedo goes to 240km. People have this belief that insurance companies are all mighty and will screw you at every turn. My dear old dad sorted them out several times. They may try it but it comes back to good old basics of common law, and they know it. They can't assume anything they have to prove it and that it was the cause too boot.

If people don't want to risk it good oh I don't blame them , but there's a whole myth generated around insurance companies and what they will and won't do.

I d like to hear stories and names from everybody who has or knows someone that has been refused payment from an insurance company?

For mine in 35yrs I have known one person who was refused payment on his car that was allegedly stolen and burnt out. Years later he got done for vehicle theft and fraud so they had something else he never admitted to.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
17.56.2 and a Prado...... Great choices ;)
Good luck with the pickup tomorrow... Sleepless night coming I'm guessing. And as normally said "Pics please"