My New Expanda Toolbox

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
I'm loathe to spend money on things I might potentially make myself, but I've gotta say, compared to prices I've seen for checkerplate tool boxes, and sliding drawers. etc, that looks like good value for money to me.

(Thankfully I don't have an extended drawbar, so I don't have to worry about having to put my hand in my pocket to buy one of these fancy boxes!:tongue1:)

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Hi Folks, below are the plans for my new Custom Tool box for my 17-56-2 Expanda with extended Drawbar, will move the Spare to the rear and use box for Generator and other bulky light bits such as Groundsheets, tackle box, chainsaw etc, note I have side doors providing access to box when bed is down. Box being custom made and wil be ready next week, will post some photos. Suggestions Welcome..
Kolega,
Do you happen to know what the box ended up weighing? What is the reason for mounting it so far from the caravan body?

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Kolega,
Do you happen to know what the box ended up weighing? What is the reason for mounting it so far from the caravan body?

From Memory the wight was 27KG, a few kilos more than the Spare wheel it replaces, my other option is to also change my Gas bpttles to 4KG that way I wuld gain some addition draw bar carry capacity.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I plan to do something similar, although not on a grand scale like that one.
I don't have the extended drawbar either.

A couple of questions (OK, 3)
Did you re-use the gas bottle holder inside the box and how did you secure it in there?
What did you do with the regulator? Inside or outside the box?
How did you secure the box to the A frame?

Cheers,
Matty

Edit: just thought of another question, sorry.
Did you remove the cradle under the A frame that the spare was originally sitting on?

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
I plan to do something similar, although not on a grand scale like that one.
I don't have the extended drawbar either.

A couple of questions (OK, 3)
Did you re-use the gas bottle holder inside the box and how did you secure it in there?
What did you do with the regulator? Inside or outside the box?
How did you secure the box to the A frame?

Cheers,
Matty

Edit: just thought of another question, sorry.
Did you remove the cradle under the A frame that the spare was originally sitting on?

Hi Matty,

No did not re-use the gas Bottle holder as the 2 holders are heavy and I saved myself 5KGs, just used some seatbelt webbing to secure the gas bottles.

Regulator is inside box and protected from elements

Secured box to Aframe holes where the gas bottle holders were mounted and in the fron I used 2 U Bolts,.

Still have not removed teh cradel under the box, will do that after warranty period, dont want to give JAyco excuses not to fix problems. However I am considering putting some light Gal Mesh on the Cradle frame to carry some light things such as hoses etc.. Still to decide?

David

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Thanks is ours. Generator on drivers side. Webber 200 on the other side. Annexe floor mat and chocks etc in the middle.
Cheers

Attachments

• EE1A058E-CD77-4DD4-9B3D-0D6BDEAA8D47.jpeg
    EE1A058E-CD77-4DD4-9B3D-0D6BDEAA8D47.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Reactions: Eddii

Sc0tty74

Apr 11, 2018
MyP@nda
We’ve just purchased a 2015 Expanda 17.56-1 and are heading off on a 5month big lap leaving Sydney on 20/5 (with 4 kids -8m to 10). These custom boxes look great but the Kincrome gullwing 1600mm alum truck box like @DaveR has posted [https://www.kincrome.com.au/gullwing-alum-truck-box-1600mm] seems hard to beat for around $560 - we want to store Weber baby Q, fishing rods and any dirty/wet stuff...

Can anyone confirm these are a quality item, easy to install on the Panda and will do the job?