My BaseStation

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Base23, love that you have done the air suspension retro fit.
I’m looking at doing the same just have a couple of questions.
When you lower it all the way down dose it sit on the bump stops? Or are the shocks the limiting factor?
Cheers Neil.

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Should be the bumpstops as that's what they're designed to do in protecting the other components. I got a quote from airbag man to fit to jtech 2.0 suspension as attsched. Installation extra

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200801-094625_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20200801-094625_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 316
Reactions: Neil

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Base23, love that you have done the air suspension retro fit.
I’m looking at doing the same just have a couple of questions.
When you lower it all the way down dose it sit on the bump stops? Or are the shocks the limiting factor?
Cheers Neil.
Hello Neil,
When I let all the air out the van sits on the bump stops. There is not a lot in it but it but yes it is on the bump stops.
The air suspension is great, makes setting up and levelling the van so easy.
Tows great and there would be no way I would own another van without air suspension.
Cheers

Reactions: Neil and Brente1982

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Brente1982 that’s an interesting quote. They quoted me on a mk1 version for a 2014e 22.68 Starcraft.
I wonder what the difference is?
Base23, thanks for the response. I’m trying to get mine as low as possible purely for when it’s at home due to the area I have to store it. I was wanting to not use their top weld in mounts and remove the existing spring locator at the tap and bolt airbag directly to that.

Attachments

• B40C2D8A-856B-4C28-BA43-A5B1478428C2.jpeg
    B40C2D8A-856B-4C28-BA43-A5B1478428C2.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 384

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Not sure to be honest. I know the kit changed a bit between mk1 and mk2 suspension setup on the vans. But it's a fair price difference.
I was lead to believe there was no modification needed in the jtech2.0 but I don't think that's correct. There is still welding needed.

Reactions: Neil

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Brente1982 that’s an interesting quote. They quoted me on a mk1 version for a 2014e 22.68 Starcraft.
I wonder what the difference is?
Base23, thanks for the response. I’m trying to get mine as low as possible purely for when it’s at home due to the area I have to store it. I was wanting to not use their top weld in mounts and remove the existing spring locator at the tap and bolt airbag directly to that.
Could definitely get it to go lower by changing the mounting points like you said and changing the shock mounting brackets also but you would also not be able to raise the van up to its full height as you starting point would be lower.
You only have about 110mm of suspension travel with the air bags.

Reactions: Neil and Brente1982

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Could definitely get it to go lower by changing the mounting points like you said and changing the shock mounting brackets also but you would also not be able to raise the van up to its full height as you starting point would be lower.
You only have about 110mm of suspension travel with the air bags.

Base23,
Thanks for the extra info, the 110mm travel is great to know.
I'll defiantly do so measurements when i get the van home next before i go buying a kit.

Brente1982,
Confirmation from Airbag Man, Mk2 is for 2019 on wards, mines a 2014 so Mk1 kit.
Not sure what the difference they didn't say.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Base23,
Thanks for the extra info, the 110mm travel is great to know.
I'll defiantly do so measurements when i get the van home next before i go buying a kit.

Brente1982,
Confirmation from Airbag Man, Mk2 is for 2019 on wards, mines a 2014 so Mk1 kit.
Not sure what the difference they didn't say.

from what I’ve seen there will be a fair bit of difference. The jtech2 looks a lot easier to convert then the original Jtech ( jtech2 doesn’t look as solid a suspension either so it’s win/lose imo ) . If you do the original watch the bottom shock mount very closely. Where they have you weld them I believe is borderline on the shocks bump which long term will damage them. You (or somebody ) will be welding the lower shock mount on so have the option of putting it a few mm lower . **BTW that shock mount is upside down , the instructions aren’t overly clear**
3FCB7CA7-B141-411C-857A-391870F097D3.jpeg

Last edited:

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
When i converted mine i sat it on the bump stops and then adjusted the mount so that the shock wasn't bottoming out at full compression. I am pretty confident that they would never compress that far under normal operation unless you lost pressure to that side airbag in which case you would have an almighty lean on the van. In saying that i know when i built my trailer (camper) and fitted airbag suspension kit from cruise master they were able to travel at 80km/h on the bump stops giving you a chance to get somewhere to get it repaired if there was a failure. Not sure about the airbag man ones though i would imagine the would need to be the same incase of this issue.
Mine also had different shocks supplied to the originals as they could not get the originals for some reason.

Reactions: WHHEMI

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
When i converted mine i sat it on the bump stops and then adjusted the mount so that the shock wasn't bottoming out at full compression. I am pretty confident that they would never compress that far under normal operation unless you lost pressure to that side airbag in which case you would have an almighty lean on the van. In saying that i know when i built my trailer (camper) and fitted airbag suspension kit from cruise master they were able to travel at 80km/h on the bump stops giving you a chance to get somewhere to get it repaired if there was a failure. Not sure about the airbag man ones though i would imagine the would need to be the same incase of this issue.
Mine also had different shocks supplied to the originals as they could not get the originals for some reason.

yeah that’s what we did and when we realized they need to be about 5-8mm below the axle.

airbag man say it can be driven on the bump stops But I woundnt want to go far or on a rough road Hey . I carry a few bits that should enable me to jury rig the system in the event of an issue

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Put the bike in the back of the Basestation and went to Willow Springs Station in the Flinders Rangers for a 5 night getaway.
The Camp site we had was absolutely stunning, it was unpowered but had a great fire pit, park bench and a long drop toilet.
The new lithium batteries worked perfect and even let me use electric blankets at night and batteries were fully charged by solar and ready to go again the next night, Had to move the portable solar panel around during the day to catch as much sun as I could but it all worked well.

Did 320 kms of riding on the bikes and had a blast. So much to explore and will be going back sometime soon.

20200715_144631.jpg20200713_114748.jpg
20200715_072804.jpg
20200714_151846.jpg
20200718_111517.jpg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Put the bike in the back of the Basestation and went to Willow Springs Station in the Flinders Rangers for a 5 night getaway.
The Camp site we had was absolutely stunning, it was unpowered but had a great fire pit, park bench and a long drop toilet.
The new lithium batteries worked perfect and even let me use electric blankets at night and batteries were fully charged by solar and ready to go again the next night, Had to move the portable solar panel around during the day to catch as much sun as I could but it all worked well.

Did 320 kms of riding on the bikes and had a blast. So much to explore and will be going back sometime soon.

View attachment 65701View attachment 65704
View attachment 65723
View attachment 65724
View attachment 65722
I spent more than a few minutes admiring the brilliant large beer fridge mounted in the wall at the back of the storage area ..... and then I was disappointed

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Its been a while since I posted on here so I thought I would add a few photos of the latest camping trip.
Went free camping last week and the lithium batteries and inverter worked a treat, Made the trip very enjoyable for everyone.
Ran electric blankets all night and charged batteries during the day. Had to run the generator a few days because of cloud cover and solar was not keeping up with
overnight usage.

2021-07-03 17.39.11.jpg2021-07-08 17.01.14.jpg2021-07-08 17.02.48.jpg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Its been a while since I posted on here so I thought I would add a few photos of the latest camping trip.
Went free camping last week and the lithium batteries and inverter worked a treat, Made the trip very enjoyable for everyone.
Ran electric blankets all night and charged batteries during the day. Had to run the generator a few days because of cloud cover and solar was not keeping up with
overnight usage.

View attachment 67170View attachment 67171View attachment 67173

Nice camping spot @Base23 and no crowds around either!

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Nice camping spot @Base23 and no crowds around either!
Yes it was a nice spot called Cordola Camping and Recreation. Basically a fruit farm on the Murry river near Morgan South Australia.
There are 26 river front camping spots and many more lagoon sites. It was the first week of school holidays and there was only 6 sites being used for most of the week. The weekend it was a little busier but no where near crowed.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Lots of measuring and lots of double checking and I now have 2 solar panels on the roof of the Basestation.

I had to remove the original solar panel first to get to the junction box to connect the wires for the new panel using bluepoints, I also fitted a cable gland to the box as jayco just silicon the cable in
View attachment 40573 View attachment 40574

I did not want to run the cable from one panel to the other on top of the roof so I decided to fit a junction box on the roof for the new panel and run the wiring through the roof.
First hole drilled through roof
View attachment 40575

Juncting box fitted , sika flexed and wired up
View attachment 40576

Then to drill more holes in the roof for panel mounts
View attachment 40577 View attachment 40578

Fitted the panel to the roof with sikaflex 291 and peel riverts at front brackets and sikaflex and screws in to roof beam at rear brackets
View attachment 40579 View attachment 40580

2 panel up on roof all wired and ready to go.
View attachment 40581 View attachment 40582 View attachment 40583

Now just have to wait until we get the van out of the shed in a few weeks to check it all works.
Just reading this thread as I prepare to fit a solar panel to my Basestation. With the benefit of hindsight, would you mount the panels the same way?
Trying to locate the timber supports in the roof, I suspect that I might be able to locate the panel with a beam at the front edge but unlikely at the rear so will need to use rivets instead, both with Sika and aluminium angle brackets like you fabricated.