My BaseStation

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Base23, love that you have done the air suspension retro fit.
I’m looking at doing the same just have a couple of questions.
When you lower it all the way down dose it sit on the bump stops? Or are the shocks the limiting factor?
Cheers Neil.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Base23, love that you have done the air suspension retro fit.
I’m looking at doing the same just have a couple of questions.
When you lower it all the way down dose it sit on the bump stops? Or are the shocks the limiting factor?
Cheers Neil.
Hello Neil,
When I let all the air out the van sits on the bump stops. There is not a lot in it but it but yes it is on the bump stops.
The air suspension is great, makes setting up and levelling the van so easy.
Tows great and there would be no way I would own another van without air suspension.
Cheers

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Brente1982 that’s an interesting quote. They quoted me on a mk1 version for a 2014e 22.68 Starcraft.
I wonder what the difference is?
Base23, thanks for the response. I’m trying to get mine as low as possible purely for when it’s at home due to the area I have to store it. I was wanting to not use their top weld in mounts and remove the existing spring locator at the tap and bolt airbag directly to that.

Attachments

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Not sure to be honest. I know the kit changed a bit between mk1 and mk2 suspension setup on the vans. But it's a fair price difference.
I was lead to believe there was no modification needed in the jtech2.0 but I don't think that's correct. There is still welding needed.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Brente1982 that’s an interesting quote. They quoted me on a mk1 version for a 2014e 22.68 Starcraft.
I wonder what the difference is?
Base23, thanks for the response. I’m trying to get mine as low as possible purely for when it’s at home due to the area I have to store it. I was wanting to not use their top weld in mounts and remove the existing spring locator at the tap and bolt airbag directly to that.
Could definitely get it to go lower by changing the mounting points like you said and changing the shock mounting brackets also but you would also not be able to raise the van up to its full height as you starting point would be lower.
You only have about 110mm of suspension travel with the air bags.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Could definitely get it to go lower by changing the mounting points like you said and changing the shock mounting brackets also but you would also not be able to raise the van up to its full height as you starting point would be lower.
You only have about 110mm of suspension travel with the air bags.
Base23,
Thanks for the extra info, the 110mm travel is great to know.
I'll defiantly do so measurements when i get the van home next before i go buying a kit.

Brente1982,
Confirmation from Airbag Man, Mk2 is for 2019 on wards, mines a 2014 so Mk1 kit.
Not sure what the difference they didn't say.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Base23,
Thanks for the extra info, the 110mm travel is great to know.
I'll defiantly do so measurements when i get the van home next before i go buying a kit.

Brente1982,
Confirmation from Airbag Man, Mk2 is for 2019 on wards, mines a 2014 so Mk1 kit.
Not sure what the difference they didn't say.
from what I’ve seen there will be a fair bit of difference. The jtech2 looks a lot easier to convert then the original Jtech ( jtech2 doesn’t look as solid a suspension either so it’s win/lose imo ) . If you do the original watch the bottom shock mount very closely. Where they have you weld them I believe is borderline on the shocks bump which long term will damage them. You (or somebody ) will be welding the lower shock mount on so have the option of putting it a few mm lower . **BTW that shock mount is upside down , the instructions aren’t overly clear**
3FCB7CA7-B141-411C-857A-391870F097D3.jpeg

Last edited:

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
When i converted mine i sat it on the bump stops and then adjusted the mount so that the shock wasn't bottoming out at full compression. I am pretty confident that they would never compress that far under normal operation unless you lost pressure to that side airbag in which case you would have an almighty lean on the van. In saying that i know when i built my trailer (camper) and fitted airbag suspension kit from cruise master they were able to travel at 80km/h on the bump stops giving you a chance to get somewhere to get it repaired if there was a failure. Not sure about the airbag man ones though i would imagine the would need to be the same incase of this issue.
Mine also had different shocks supplied to the originals as they could not get the originals for some reason.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
When i converted mine i sat it on the bump stops and then adjusted the mount so that the shock wasn't bottoming out at full compression. I am pretty confident that they would never compress that far under normal operation unless you lost pressure to that side airbag in which case you would have an almighty lean on the van. In saying that i know when i built my trailer (camper) and fitted airbag suspension kit from cruise master they were able to travel at 80km/h on the bump stops giving you a chance to get somewhere to get it repaired if there was a failure. Not sure about the airbag man ones though i would imagine the would need to be the same incase of this issue.
Mine also had different shocks supplied to the originals as they could not get the originals for some reason.
yeah that’s what we did and when we realized they need to be about 5-8mm below the axle.

airbag man say it can be driven on the bump stops But I woundnt want to go far or on a rough road Hey . I carry a few bits that should enable me to jury rig the system in the event of an issue