Melb to Gold Coast where to stop

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well we off on Saturday.. Although now wondering if we do the Hume or the Newell..
Seeing its our first big trip thinking stay on dual rd via Hume?
Also had a few friends say skip Moree if you can. Instead of Dubbo Zoo might do Australia Zoo while up north.
Dubbo zoo reminds me of Werribee zoo.

Thinking
Gundagai NSW - Umina Beach NSW - Taree NSW - Coffs Harbour NSW

Is it better the Hume or the Newell?
The Kids will just want to get to the beach and theme parks

We drive to QLD from Melbourne most years via every known route. Don't let the Sydney aspect dictate your Newell or Hume decision. The Motorways and Cumberland Hwy well and truly bypass Sydney itself. Much the same as our freeways and ring roads bypass Melb. The only issue is not recognising any of the suburbs, the signs and area names ..... so take the stress completely out of the equation buy a cheap Tomtom. For $100 they are priceless. They give you quite an accurate arrival time and they take all headaches out of the trip especially the Motorways, and they make the signs and foreign place names null and void. You can ignore the signs, enjoy the view and enjoy the drive. Our Tom tom is affectionately called Katie, and she been around for years and is a very big part of every trip.

The coast drive north of Sydney is also a really nice drive, and you'll be spoilt for choice on where to stop. If your taking a leisurely few days, the Hume/ nth coast is my bet. I like Gundagai, its a nice town and the little caravan park has the lushest of grass, and is right next to the public pool. Umina Beach is an awesome kids caravan park and nice safe beach, with a cool playground up the road. Not stayed in Taree, but Coffs Harbour Park Beach is also a great kids park, opposite the surf beach and a short wander or bike ride to the Harbour. Don't forget its a right of passage on the road north and south to stop at the Big banana (Both ways. Every single time) and partake in a frozen choc banana on a stick. My partner loathes it, which just increases its likelihood and cements its importance. I threatened to leave her. Im heading up to Surfers Xmas day, but Ill live vicariously through you for the time being. Please post up your progress and where you decide to stop. There a quite a few free camps on the way if your interested in that. Enjoy the trip and safe drive.

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks @Crusty181 yes have Tom Tom and also our 2 year old twin Tom Tom :) Although he will only tell me where Fireman Sam is. Been getting him to say bear left he he. I do not think that joke will get old. My eldest is Luke and I keep telling him "Luke I am your father".. Dad Jokes hey

My mum came from Umina so like to stop there. Probably half the town are my relatives. Woy Woy, Gosford supposed be full of them as well have not seen many of them for 30 years Mum stopped talking to a lot of them over stupid things :(.. Have older Nephew and Niece's in Newcastle so will stop there on way up or back.

Originally thought up inland back coast so we do both.. Have a few friends who lived around Dubbo/Moree area say not the best places to stop. Although idiots can be anywhere.
Have free entry it looks to Dubbo Zoo with Melb zoo membership.. Hence was thinking to go there. I like to see the Dish at Parkes although I gather kids will be bored.
Have a couple of days to decide.. toss a coin maybe :)

Reactions: Delano