Melb to Gold Coast where to stop

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hello,

Our first big trip will be September holidays heading from Melbourne to Gold Coast.
We are looking to take 4-5 days to go up and heading off the week before holidays start.
Thinking of staying at the big4 gold coast yes I know its close to the highway although great location 4 kids we will be doing the theme parks.

So as this will be out first long trip. What advice where should we stop? Do you think 4-5 days too short with 4 kids :)
Thinking of maybe doing a long first day and head up to Parkes bypass Sydney via the Newell.
Then not sure...Which way is the best to go with a van. Any hints. thanks
We really should book things now hence wanting to work out a plan.
Getting the Starcraft end of May so we will have a few trips under our belt before September.

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
Hello,

Our first big trip will be September holidays heading from Melbourne to Gold Coast.
We are looking to take 4-5 days to go up and heading off the week before holidays start.
Thinking of staying at the big4 gold coast yes I know its close to the highway although great location 4 kids we will be doing the theme parks.

So as this will be out first long trip. What advice where should we stop? Do you think 4-5 days too short with 4 kids :)
Thinking of maybe doing a long first day and head up to Parkes bypass Sydney via the Newell.
Then not sure...Which way is the best to go with a van. Any hints. thanks
We really should book things now hence wanting to work out a plan.
Getting the Starcraft end of May so we will have a few trips under our belt before September.
Hi Davemac,
Done this trip 4 times in last 3 years. Geelong to Goldcoast, via Newell, via Hume and Coast Road.
If going via Newell, recommend you stop at Moree Gwydir carapark, has thermal pools! we then drove to Goldcoast from there in one hit. Our stops on the Newell were, Albury Hume caravan park, Dubbo free camp 6 klms north, Moree (see previous), then across to Goldcoast.
Going via the Hume is much quicker, Hubby does it in 3 days with Van. First stop free camp at Jugiong (see my post in free camps area on this forum), second night somewhere between Newcastle and Macquarie there are heaps of free camps along the way, just spread yourself out time wise. When you free camp you are usually on the road by 7.30 - 8am, then stop for late morning tea, then back on the road, stop for the day just after 2pm and have a late lunch. This gives you a chance to look around where you have stopped and smell the roses.
Look up roadside stops there is a website www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Stay/rest-areas this shows all rest areas on all the highways and tells you if they are rv friendly.
We stayed at the Goldcoast van park a few years back before they did it up, I recommend you stay down in the overflow area if you can, powered sites, huge sites and quiet. Yes it's a walk to the toilet but you don't hear the highway nearly as much and heaps of room for the kids to hit a ball around etc.
Enjoy

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren77 and davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Thanks Dede we where looking at ensuite sites which are down the back of the park..
I thought the Hume would be worse for trucks and heading through Sydney was not something we like to do.. Although been years since I was up there.
There are a few places I like to stop on the way we have three weeks in total. Kids wanting to do theme parks of course :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@Ren77 we used to head up yearly until a few years ago had best friends up there so free accommodation and airfares where cheap back then.. The older boy remembers more then our 5 year old. Used to rotate which ones we did. This time I think we do them all :)
Twins be three while we up there so maybe Dreamworld on the 29th Sep.

Just working which way up.. maybe we go up the Hume back the Newell, not sure want to go to close to Sydney driving with the caravan

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
See park passes are on sale at the moment if you pre purchase. $99 for adults and and a free kids ticket.

When we went last year pre purchased our tickets and saved plenty of $$$$.
West Wyalong have cheap drive through sites for an over nighter on the way up too an I can vouch for Moree too.

We went from Melbourne up the Hume to Albury across to Wagga through Temora and onto West Wyalong and didnt leave home until 1030 also.
Day 2 was up then up the Newell to Moree.
Day 3 was spent travelling across to Warialda, Yetman, Texas, Inglewood, Warwick to the Goldy. This way is maybe not as direct but we like getting off the less worn travelled roads and you get to explore areas you may not have given a thought too

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Thanks @cruza driver yes still on emails regarding tickets we thinking of getting them now. Yeah originally I said we have 3 weeks just go and stop when we won't to have no plans at all. Go up inland maybe back via relatives in Newcastle on the way back. Although two of those weeks are school holidays so thought should book Gold Coast at least although now no idea what day we get there :). This lead to me thinking do I book on the way up as well.
I want to stop in Parkes, maybe Dubbo zoo and Texas be cool to go through.
Thought do a big first day then smaller ones after that.

Edit.. just checked that 3 park special only to 30 June 2014 bugger

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@cruza driver Thanks I will read up on your trip, I assumed a few people have made it up there and back.
Would not mind doing Darwin next year depends if I still have a job....
I assume tickets are used by I still get the junk mail from last time we went :)
"The VIP Pass gives you unlimited entry to Movie World, Sea World and Wet’n’Wild Gold Coast until 30 June 2014!"

Reactions: cruza driver

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The first time we drove up to the Goldy with the kids (no van) we took 3 days. We went from home to Yarrawonga, (free accom) and then we got to Dubbo the next day. We spent the next morning at the Dubbo zoo and then left early afternoon for Moree.
Moree to the GC was the next day. That was when my youngest was only 11 months, so no really big days.

Last time with the van we did Melb to a free camp called Marsden, which is maybe 1/2 hour past West Wyalong, travelling up the Hume to Albury and then along the Olympic Hwy via Wagga to the Newell at Wyalong. Next day was Marsden to Goondiwindi (about 740k's) to a caravan park. We then went onto Maroochydore next day.

Plenty of options to choose, good luck.

Heath74

Jan 14, 2014
Sth East Melbourne
Great spot, you will have a ball. I would say make your booking on the goldy now though.
Having done the trip the last three septembers, I've used a couple of routes. Keep in mind this was when we had the camper trailer, pre Jayco.

The first year, we left on the Friday night and headed up to wagga, followed by bogabilla, then into the goldy, on the way home goldy to dubbo, with two nights there and a day at the zoo.

There are a few attractions on the way such as the dish, and so on. But for mine, extra days on the Gold Coast are better value, especially since the theme parks pass are Multi use.

The last 300 k of the drive north is the hardest, coming in to traffic. You can go through the mountains, or stay on the freeway until just before Brisbane. I probably preferred the Brisbane route. But my point is you really want to make your last day a short one.

The last two years we took a different approach, and I flew the wife and kids up, while I drove up in two days stopping at goondiwindi . Then we all drove back together, stopping at narrabri.

This was actually a great way to do it, I really enjoy a couple of days in the car on my own and can really wind down, and start the holiday very relaxed, at the same time my wife and kids enjoy the flight up, so by Sunday afternoon they get in and we are all set up and everybody is happy. By driving back together we still get that experience. Not for everyone, but it works for us.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Ha ha well we setup a ipad system with a wifi hard drive worked on a few multi hour trips. The 7 and 5 year old and pick what shows they want with headphones we do a 3 hour fireman sam trip with twins on speakers :) so this seems to work fine. I just like to see a few sights up and back, I know kids get bored at a few as said three weeks no rush. Thinking we book and give 5 days on way up. Then stop where we want 2 days Dubbo

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Well we off on Saturday.. Although now wondering if we do the Hume or the Newell..
Seeing its our first big trip thinking stay on dual rd via Hume?
Also had a few friends say skip Moree if you can. Instead of Dubbo Zoo might do Australia Zoo while up north.
Dubbo zoo reminds me of Werribee zoo.

Thinking
Gundagai NSW - Umina Beach NSW - Taree NSW - Coffs Harbour NSW

Is it better the Hume or the Newell?
The Kids will just want to get to the beach and theme parks

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@davemc, check the Myfun site, they are still offering the multi park pass for $99 but no longer the 4 for the cost of 3 offer. If I can help send me a PM for a phone number but we will be heading off to Cameron Corner about 26th Sept.