Mazda BT 50 XTR

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
So far we love it. I have never had a diesel before, so this is a first. It has more features than our old Kluger and does not drive like a truck. It will be better when the canopy goes on. Kids are happy with the bluetooth streaming of music. Sat nav will take a bit of getting used to, nowhere near as easy as the Holden IQ sytem in my ute.

The best thing is we have a real multi purpose family car. Can tow plenty with ease and we can take more away with us in the rear so I dont have to overload the expanda. Can take the dog away and I can still use it for work.

I have to put reverse sensors on and camera. If someone has sensors on their BT, I would love a photo of the rear bar to see the location of the sensors. We might investigate a tubliner also, so if anyone has found a good affordable one, let me know!

Cheers Geoff

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
You've hit the nail on the head there, dual cabs really are great multi purpose car's. I am looking forward to getting my canopy soon too.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Bought a rear vision mirror with two video inputs, one for reverse and one for rear of caravan. It is a full replacement as I did not want a clip on. It comes with a lot of wires!.. Brash imports also included extra video wire so I can add the caravan camera later..pick van up in 2 weeks. I will take photos of the progress. I am very happy with the quality, I wired it up on the kitchen table and it works great. orderd yesterday, here today.

Geoff

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
G'day maccayak. Just watch that the canopy is a correct fit for your vehicle's tub. Mate had it back several times with leaking issues. He off in the back-blocks of Queensland with a big rig but departure was held up for weeks with the canopy issue. Eventually fixed and great rig.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thanks for that. To be honest I am expecting it to leak around the tailgate are a little as ARB canopy's are never brilliant there but hopefully not near the front or sides. I bought the camera off www.brashimports.com.au

So far I am happy with the quality of the camera kit and I like the fact that it is a full replacement mirror, not a clip on. I will try to find time on Saturday to put the camera kit and also rear park sensors in.

mirror9.jpg

Geoff

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Fitted rear sensors and reverse mirror over the weekend in between family stuff.
IMG_0829.JPG
I have only fitted 2 for now, I just didn't want to drill into the chrome bumper, although under the plastic it is chrome so I have drilled that and rust proofed it prior to fitting sensors. It would be an easy job on a plastic bumpered car.

The reverse mirror/camera kit took about 5 hours, but I soldered wires and did it all properly. Quite a lot of wiring to fit one of these.
IMG_0833.JPG
I am still learning how it works but I can scroll between 2 cameras whilst driving so once I get expanda, another job to fit a camera. The BT 50 is now pre wired for this so when I hook up the van I just have to connect the camera loom next to the towbar.

Geoff

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Love the reverse camera setup Geoff.

I'm still waiting on my ARB canopy too, about 4 weeks wait so far.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We are really happy with the camera, it can be a bit ordinary on a real bright day but I think most are. The functions of it are great.
1- Use it normally when in reverse, camera/screen just comes on
2- Use it manually, so whilst driving you can have it on to see whats behind you.
3- Have expanda camera on whilst driving to see what is behind van, then flick to see tow set up behind car to see if everything looks OK.
4- Scroll between both cameras whilst reversing. (yet to do expanda)

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
Getting ready to leave tomorrow, when I saw water pouring out from underneath the van.:shocked:
found that one of the elbows connected to the water in fill had a large hole in it.
Quick trip to the Hardware shop.
Hope this isn't the start of things to come:(

P9150001.JPG
P9150003.JPG

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks for that. To be honest I am expecting it to leak around the tailgate are a little as ARB canopy's are never brilliant there but hopefully not near the front or sides. I bought the camera off www.brashimports.com.au

So far I am happy with the quality of the camera kit and I like the fact that it is a full replacement mirror, not a clip on. I will try to find time on Saturday to put the camera kit and also rear park sensors in.

View attachment 9038

Geoff
Just an update. Mate back from 6 wks in FNQ and quite happy with canopy. Says the BT-50 towed like a dream. (Poor chap doesn't have an Expanda, but a fairly hefty alternative full size van).

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Yes Cruza, we towed the new Expanda home a couple Fridays ago. Never really towed a van before so it seemed to tow fine. I picked the windiest day to drive a van home, I was worried a tree would blow on the van it was that bad.

ARB canopy, roofrack and tubliner installed on Friday, Very happy with install, wife not too impressed with roofracks, says she can't fit in the shopping centre car parks :smile:
Geoff