Chassis LPG issues

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Fuel (lpg) + Oxygen (compressed air)+ignition source equals fire or explosion for starters.

The appliance will be damaged/destroyed and the gas valves cannot withstand the pressure of compressed air (ie HWS valve).

The copper fitting line will not be blocked anyway.

So when anyone has a gas issue, the only advice I can safely give over the net is contact the dealer or a licensed Gasfitter. Not meaning to be smart but a lot of people read these posts.

Cheers Geoff

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@macca and @chartrock point well made. Its good to get grounded direction and informed advice, and were blessed to have active members who know what theyre talking about ... and more importantly happy to impart their knowledge.

Reactions: bigcol

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Problem solvered...........hopefully.
Dropped into Bayswater Jayco to pick up a new regulator and the sales bloke asked what type of line I had on it.
I told him I had a flexi-line.
"There's your problem" he said.
Apparently LPG breaks down the internal rubber hose on the braided flexi-line over time until it turns the rubber into a goop, thus blocking up the reg.
So I bought a new reg and a new copper gas line, hopefully I'll fit it in the next day or two and sort this out.

Who knew?? Not me...

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's the exact opposite to what we were advised with the gas hoses but it makes sense.

How long have you had the braided flexible hoses? Just want to be wary of any future problems with ours.

Hope their advice works.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Well I just finished fitting the new regulator and copper line.
Works again..............yippee!!!
I fitted the braided flexi line back 2012 when I moved my spare to the rear and fitted a front box to the A-frame.
I re-located the gas bottle into the box and thought it'd be easier to run the flexi out the rear of the box.

He did say that if I bought another reg and kept using the flexi it would last about 3 years, so that's proven correct so far.
When I removed the top and bottom fittings off the old reg to fit to the new reg there was some hardened black stuff on the inside of the fittings, so who knows how much is inside the regulator, obviously enough to block it up.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.:rockon:
Man I love this forum:grouphug:

Edit....woohoo, 1000 posts (still a pup compared to some though:bolt:)

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Slightly off topic but along a similar line, the same goes with those flexible water hoses under your sinks, basins etc, although they last a little longer (read the label on them). Our estate is 15 years old and a few homes have had flexible connectors blow, one recently required the house to be recarpeted and skirting boards replaced.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks Pup.

I'll keep a watching brief on ours and change after 3 years..give or take a bit.

Interesting we weren't told they had a finite life. Wonder if sunlight affects the breakdown. Ours is stored under cover but is frequently in the sun, when on the road. Might look an umbrella for gas hoses.