Chassis LPG issues

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Last weekend we took the van away for the first time since Feb this year. I went to light the gas cooktop and couldn't get it to light. When depressing the knob to allow gas to flow before hitting the ignitor I got a faint his of gas for approx 1 sec then nothing. All 3 burners had no gas coming through after that.
Checked bottle, plenty of gas, I removed the inline gas guage/fuse thing and re-connected. Tried again, with same result.

At home now trying to solve this with same symptoms. I've got gas flowing into the reg as I removed that line to test. Re-connected again, same result.
Could it be a faulty or dud regulator?
Can these be tested, and if so, how? Or am I up for a gasfitter to come over?

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
@Matty4 Maybe a silly question but did you check the shutoff valve underneath?
Yeah, been underneath and found 2 inline valves, one one the fridge line and one on the cooktop line. Both are in the inline position. For what it's worth, I can't light the fridge or HWS on gas either, leading me to believe it's the reg. I've removed the reg but unsure what to do next.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Sounds more than likely the reg..... Did you try disconnecting the pipe from the back of the reg and see if gas was coming through it? If it does might just be an air lock!

Reactions: Crusty181

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Sounds more than likely the reg..... Did you try disconnecting the pipe from the back of the reg and see if gas was coming through it? If it does might just be an air lock!
Yep, connected the gas to the reg without the connection to the van, no gas comes out the outlet side of the reg whatsoever.
Looks like I'm up for a new reg.

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If you've got a gas fuse fitted try pumping the fuse at least twice. Gas won't flow through unless you do that.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I know it sounds strange, but try swapping gas bottles. Not thinking its empty, but more it could be contaminated.

A mate of mine with a Swan had been having heaps of problems with his fridge on gas, and was advised by a caravan service tech to swap his gas bottles. He was a bit skeptical as it was almost full, but he took the advice, and bingo, it was working again.

Certainly worth trying.

Reactions: Where to next

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
If you've got a gas fuse fitted try pumping the fuse at least twice. Gas won't flow through unless you do that.
First thing I tried was the gas fuse, pumped it and still nothing.
I've taken it out of the gas line completely and still no flow.

Is the lid all the way up on the cooktop? if its not it won't light
Yep. Been there, done that before:oops:

I know it sounds strange, but try swapping gas bottles. Not thinking its empty, but more it could be contaminated.

A mate of mine with a Swan had been having heaps of problems with his fridge on gas, and was advised by a caravan service tech to swap his gas bottles. He was a bit skeptical as it was almost full, but he took the advice, and bingo, it was working again.

Certainly worth trying.
Skeptical too, but worth a shot..

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I hear ya @ROnEM
My boats not running at the moment as I'm waiting for the ECU to be repaired. All 3 of my kids told me yesterday that we should just get a new one. That money tree sure is slow to grow at my place too.

Reactions: Drover

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Ok, just connected the gas reg to the bottle on my patio heater and gas didn't come through. Thought I'd try and connect the reg off the heater to the van to test but they have different fittings. Will be down to spare parts tomorrow for a new reg.

Reactions: dagree

rags

Sounds like the 1st stage regulator has done its job, and shut off due to excess flow/pressure resulting in a now buggered rego. You need a new one

co-550-00316m-jpg.jpg

Reactions: Matty4