Log on problems

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all,

Is anyone experiencing any problems logging on or is it just me?Lately I have been having problems and comes up with a notice that says something about server problems with this site.

Cheers.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all moving the thread to site feedback so it is in the right spot...

In terms of the trouble we should be fine at the moment as we have moved to a new server.

If you experience any further login / access issues please post back so I can get onto the host.

When the site goes down, as in the database that runs it crashes I receive emails, SMS etc etc informing me and I got one on 20/60 but it was just an access drop.

But I do encourage you to please let me know by posting here once the site is back up so I can go through the logs and check what happened.

Apologies to in advance its certainly not how we want the site to run!!!!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Can you let me know next time it goes down if it says one of the following -

1) Resource Limit Reach

2) Site is inaccessible

3) Unable to connect

Will help to narrow it down a bit as the other issue that was going on is now apparently fixed....

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@22:57 tonight while already logged on and reading Cruza Driver's awesome touring pages, when going to the next page got the unable to locate server error on Safari for iPad.

Refreshed page 5 times but got same error. Closed browser tab and opened new tab and went back to site default home page and everything loaded correctly.

Ro

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
That still happens to me at least once or twice a day, don't want to sound like I'm whinging just saying is all!

Feb 1, 2012
I could not access the site most of the night, 27/6/12 and when I got up this morning around 7am I still could not get on. Just got to work and obviously I am on.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
When this happened do you remember if you got one of these messages??

1) Resource Limit Reach

2) Site is inaccessible

3) Unable to connect

Hi expanda, happened @ 7.20am today!

Thanks Burnsy I am looking into this time frame in the logs..

I could not access the site most of the night, 27/6/12 and when I got up this morning around 7am I still could not get on. Just got to work and obviously I am on.

Hi there this sounds strange as for most of the night last night we had a tonne of people on the site and posts being made.

Roughly what time was you tried and could you get to other sites ok?

Cheers for the info!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi expanda,

This is what i get when it happens to me.

Picture 682.png

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
No mate that one was earlier this week but is was the same screen this morning and again @ 9.40 am.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi expanda,

This is what i get when it happens to me.

View attachment 8375

Cheers.

Hey Burnsy, couple of things firstly the screen shot you provided seems to be "Telstra" related as it it is the Telstra proxy complaining that it can not find the page.

Not sure how versed you are on all things webserver but our website runs on port 80, your error message states that it can not find expandasdowunder on port 3128.

3128 is the key here, this is the port that the Telstra proxy server uses to lookup our website.

So in summary, telstra proxy on port 3128 looks up expandasdownunder and reports it can not find it.

We know it exists as the error message is saying specifically that it can not find "expandasdownunder.com/forum.php" but we know this page exists otherwise the forum would be offline for a long time as this file makes the site run and if it was deleted accidentally I would need to re add the file to the box.

If the error message was reporting that it can not find "expandasdownunder.com/forum.php" port 80 then it woudl relate to our server.

So this would lead me to believe that the Telstra proxy is intermittmently dropping pages, not sure why this is but this seems to be the issue.

I have scoured the logs looking at your access requests and all seems above aboard for the times your online.

I am not really sure how to progress but one thing you can try is this when you have this issue jump on a) Your iPhone & b) another machine preferabbly not telstra related and hit this website address -

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/expandasdownunder.com

It will do a check on our site from its internet connection and report if it is "Down" or "Up".

This should isolate the fault to the Telstra proxy.....

I apologise to you for having to go through this sincerly and I hope we can narrow the fault down further as I want to ensure the forum is running perfectly for everyone to enjoy at all times.

Please post back with your results if you don't mind doing this testing.

Now this leads into the second and final thing, I am aware that we have experiecend some drops out the past few weeks but this relates to the error message "Resources Reached" or similiar and do not relate to the issue you are facing.

That is not to put your issue aside but I have been trying to isolate wether it is the resource error or something else and it does not seem to be the resource issue as we have gone 24 hours without being limited.

To explain the issue in more detail for the resource issue the message is coming up is because as of late in the past few weeks our hosting provide has been limiting our sties access as we have been taking up the resource allocation we have available.

This is a great thing in some way as it means we are getting more visitors on the site and its time to finally grow up and get a new home for the site that can accomodate the traffic increase but it is also bad whilst this goes on as it limits access to the site and weirdly it did start occuring in line with your reports.

To overcome the resource issue I have been working with the mod team over the last week to bring a new server up and online that can accomodate this growth in users and traffic and I am hoping to move us over to it shortly once we are happy with the way its running.

My concern is though that even once we move you may still have issues so I would like to see it resolved and or at least get to the bottom of it.

Again I wanted to ensure you know I am certainly not sitting idle as accessilibty and uptime on the site is paramount to me and I will take all steps neccessary to make sure the site is up.

Please keep me posted on your findings if you can as it would be very much appreciated!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks expanda,

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say thanks for all your work on this great site, and I appreciate you taking the time with my issue. 90% of the time when I'm on this site is with my iPhone so I will try what you have suggested next time and I'll let you know how I go. Thanks again mate for your efforts, great job!

Cheers.

Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the information Expanda, well it is all bizarre from my point of view in that it appears my issue is a Telstra related issue and that would explain why I am unable to access the forum from home on any devise.

Prior to reading this today I had the same issues at home last night and via the wireless network at home I again could not access the site on any device. I then turned the wireless off on the phone and it allowed me to gain access via the 3G network however, I did the same thing with the Ipad but could not access the site via 3G. Both devices and our wireless network are Telstra.

These issues have only started in the past week or so. I will take notice of the error message tonight when I get home.

I too appreciate your work keeping this site running.