Leveling a dual axle trailer with independant suspension

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Well I guess being the newbie yet to take delivery of the van I'll be sticking to whatever ramps I get (thinking the Anderson) and jockey wheel.

Guess I'll start by taking my woodworking spirit level until I figure out what I need.

Is the "optional" eZylevel (leveling device) any good?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
All I've ever done is stick a $6 van spirit level from Supercheap on the draw bar, wham bam thank you maam, all done it a couple of minutes and as said before if she's got a list then a block under a wheel or if it's a fair drop then I roll a bit of wheel on a ramp, once I use to use 2 then noticed one did the job but that may depend on the suspension set up....................best advice is buy the van, hold off on all the accessories till you do a couple of trips and you see what you really need, a lot of stuff is just bling, at first you will play with your gauges, buttons and stuff then come to the realization that set, forget ,go fishing is the better option..........................if it's a lot of dollars, just wait and see..
Caravan dealers don't often do good deals on accessories anyway, shop around.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Wholeheartedly agree with @Drover on the levelling approach.

After a while, you get a fairly good idea of whether van is level or not just by looking at it. Then, if in doubt, the cheap bubble thingy gives almost enough info to make minor adjustments.

We've found that about 10 mins effort to set up the level once beforehand by
  • Getting van as level as possible when at home or at a good level campsite by using spirit levels, bubble levels or whatever
  • Then putting the bubble thingy inside the freezer compartment of the fridge as it's the fridge which really needs to be level
  • Adjusting the level, if necessary, so fridge is as level as you can get it
  • Take out bubble thingy and mark where it is now...sometimes the draw bar placement gives a different level
  • Note what the bubble thingy tells you for a level fridge
  • Use that for all future setups then there are few problems
It's worked well for us on several different vans and we rarely need to adjust it. We do carry a couple of thinnish pieces of timber and that seems to be all that's needed. (And one flat piece to always put under the jockey wheel)

Also, when overthinking future requirements, you often end up with a heap of things you think you might need or that someone has told you that you have to have....and never or rarely need.

Everyone has a different style of camping and need different things so best to hang back where possible and decide later once you've had a really good look. If you need stuff, Jayco shops give the 10pc anyway but there are often other or better places so shop around.

One item I'll differ from @Drover about is the van mover. Our optitech is portable, not fixed to the van, lives in the shed and is only used to get the van back in the shed at home. But when we need it, it's there and used! I can't see the point in the onboard heavy van movers, but that's a personal choice .The optitech cost us about $2500.

But it's the needs that are individual and not everyone is the same!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Spot on @Dobbie, I have seen those fixed movers in action, the old bloke who had it wouldn't have been able to go vanning without and it was a fantastic bit of gear, expensive and heavy, he used a couple of adjectives to describe it actually but for getting it on THE spot and around his yard, brilliant, just take up lots of payload...............

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ours doesn't contribute anything to payload as I'd hate to lug it around while on the road...it's a heavy beast and only used at home.
:(

By the time you set it up when getting ready to back into a spot in a park, you could have driven it in, and had lunch!

They have a use but don't replace the simple approach.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
You've given me an idea @achjimmy. I already can inflate and deflate my Polyair bags on the tug from inside the cab, time to investigate Polyair's with the JTECH independent now.

Love the idea.

Airbag used to sell a kit for leaf spring vans. I spoke with him about the jtech at a show and he had no interest. I've thought about All you need to do is remove the bump stops Jayco use as there is no room otherwise. Find a suitable airbag and yeah you'd probably have a good 25-30mm of adjustment I guess? A lot of $$$ and effort for that much though?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Airbag used to sell a kit for leaf spring vans. I spoke with him about the jtech at a show and he had no interest. I've thought about All you need to do is remove the bump stops Jayco use as there is no room otherwise. Find a suitable airbag and yeah you'd probably have a good 25-30mm of adjustment I guess? A lot of $$$ and effort for that much though?

Its a nice idea, but for the dollars it would cost, its not worth it. I'll stick to the chocks for now, and will fit hydraulic legs to my motorhome when I win lotto

Reactions: achjimmy and bigcol