LED light strip in Awning Roller

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
I am looking for anyone that has the LED light strip fitted in the Awning Roller in their Jayco.

At the last Caravan and Camping Show there was a Sterling with a LED light strip fitted into a niche in the roller arm. We requested this in our Starcraft and upon delivery wasn't fitted and was wondering if anyone else has this fitted.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Here's my dodgey attempt. $2 Xmas lights from BigW runs off 2 AA batteries. 20140208_205922.jpg

Sorry this is getting off topic. @The Goodwins have a 2013 Expanda with it, perhaps a picture may be forthcoming.

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
I got a roll of led lights off eBay maybe $10 for 5metres, then siliconed it to the side of the van, ran the wires through the air vent for the stove, bridged onto the 12v wires from the exhaust fan, wired in a switch, they aren't on the barrel but I think having them under the awning reflects the light and makes it a lot brighter image.jpg I don't think I,have a photo of them on, would have to be the best mod I've done

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
I to used weather proof strip LED lighting along the barrel wired in a connection however the lighting failed 6 months later. There are pictures in my album on the site I'm pretty sure it's accessible to all members. So the long of the short the lighting was removed. The system that is being used by Jayco is a great looking set up with a purpose built recess in the barrel to mount the lights and the wiring runs up the hem in the awning it really does look good.
P.S if the album isn't open to all could someone let me know how to unlock it?

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Good news!!!! Jayco are replacing the awning with a brand new Awning complete with LED light strip!!!!

Well done Australian Caravan Centre in Adelaide!!!

Reactions: BigSkiddy

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I saw a Sterling last month opposite use at Batemans Bay, didn't get look at it, but come night fall I gotta say thing was lit up light Luna Park, almost like a Pie Cart at the Footie :lol:,

I recently saw one at the Newcastle show and checked it out, the light itself is fitted to the drum not the van, there was a small cable coming out of the van near the sail track attachment and seemed to be enclosed in the stitched ending of the awning so it rolls up with it.

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Yes we saw it at the last Caravan and Camping show here in Adelaide on a Sterling and I told the sales guy that I want one of those on the Starcraft if we get one. We were told we could if it was available. The van arrived without the LED light strip BUT did have the niche in the roller drum for it, so I have pushed to have it fitted as it was written on the work order that it was to be fitted. And they have come to the party!!
I loved the look of it when we saw it!

Reactions: crackacoldie

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
ummm i like the idea of the LED's in the awning barrel, just wish they would get better quality, i currently have 3 brand new awnings at home that were changed under warranty just because of the led's failing. by fitting a PWM controller (pulse width modulator) on the supply to the led's they could stop the failures due to fluctuating voltages. but it does get me some beer money for the awnings :)

Reactions: blacky

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi
ummm i like the idea of the LED's in the awning barrel, just wish they would get better quality, i currently have 3 brand new awnings at home that were changed under warranty just because of the led's failing. by fitting a PWM controller (pulse width modulator) on the supply to the led's they could stop the failures due to fluctuating voltages. but it does get me some beer money for the awnings :)
Dave, cant they just change the LED strip. I would like to see your veranda at home. ;)

Reactions: blacky

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
lol ...... we could just do that i guess, but they just order a new barrel and the quick bloke gets the old one :)
all my mates with their old van have nice new awnings and hardware for the price of a few drinks :p

Reactions: pomtony and blacky

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Hey Dave I will be up in the next couple of weeks with work do you happen to have one to suit a 16.4 because I'm sure I could find something for your thirst.