16' Series Last advice before buying 16.49.4

Laurence

Jan 8, 2012
Pakenham, VIC
Hi all, been reading site over past few months and now ready to put deposit on van. Was after help with a couple of items. 1/ i have listed below the addons i am ordering and would appreciate some opions from people that have had them fitted. Good and bad. We are looking at usibg the van for campsites more then parks and for 3-4 day durations most of the time.
2/ what price am i looking at paying for the setup.

1/ 16.49.4 OB , AC wall mount, awning, privacy's,
ext shower with hott water service and 2nd water tank,
Rear gas point for weber ( seems to be the way to go after reading this site)
2 extra power points inside under tables, extra external light.
Led internal lights if avaliable. Picnic table ( how do i get one of the older model ones)
150 lt fridge, NO Microwave, going to get deep cell batt myself have a few contacts,
And last thing hyland hitch ( not familer with this items was told it will assist in towing on uneven surfaces.
Change back to fiam matress, i am a fussy sleeper and find unless a spring matress is good i would rather
Sleep on a camp matt
2/had a budget of mid to high 30's was hoping to see it in this mark , your thoughts

Some feedback would be great live in pakenham do looking at frankston or bayswater to buy.
Cheers

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi There, We did it in reverse, we have put down a deposit on a 16.49.4 but we did not want it for 6 months. We did not need the OB version and pretty happy with the standard version with AC, roll out awning and privacy screens. We plan to use this for a few years and up grade to a 17. I would love to have all the extras but it would just blow our budget out. We have a couple months before we sign off on the order so I could add a couple things like drop jacks and extra lights etc. Laurence, at a guess I would think you would be looking at around 38k at least, interesting to see what others think. Not sure how much deleting the Microwave would save, the fridge upgrade is about $800 to $900. Because of the extra height of the fridge cabinetry, the microwave sits in there nicely and it might be good for resale. We thought about fridge upgrade also, but at this stage have opted to by an Engel instead. Remember just shop around, there are quite a few dealers.

Cheers Geoff(ps i'm a real newbie at this)

Damien & Mel

Oct 26, 2011
Forster NSW
Hi there Laurence and Geoff,

We have the 16-49-4 std version not outback, we are really happy with the van and the layout, we have had a few problems but not nothing has been a problem to get sorted out. The one thing that has dissapointed me is the external light, we got an extra one between the door and the front of the van, I am glad we did as the main outside light ends up halfway behind the door when it is open, (due to no cupboards further along because of the bunkbed). We got the 150lt fridge and it is great also the MW is at a good height above it. the other extras we got were a/c, wind up tv aerial and booster, dvd player, external speakers, external table, the main table bed conversion kit, annex, long wall shade, external 12v and tv outlets, 2x extral powerpoints under the tables and the powerpoint at the rear changed to a double, gas connection to rear of van, privacy ends and the drop down jacks. Ended up around $42k
Hope this is a bit of a help.

Damien & Mel

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day there Laurence,
Good luck with the decisions... There are so many options available - and so many they don't tell you about.
Given you're camping, you may have an interest in putting Solar in Later, I would consider having it pre-wired - a lot easier than getting the wires through the roof.
Matching the table tops to the bench I think is kinda nice too - but you have to ask, they didn't offer for me.
If they don't offer the Led Lights thrown in, it cost ~$20 to convert the entire Caravan, so not something to stress over.
With regards to the Battery - One thing to consider is, if you get it with the Caravan it is part of the weight of the Caravan. ~20-30 KG If you put it in afterwards, it counts towards your payload.
Good Luck again :) So many choice..

Cheers,
Glenn