Kids In The Annexe

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
After two expandas and a long story I am still on the hunt for another van......

Now seriously considering getting something that has a double bed inside and getting an annexe for the kids to sleep in.

Putting the annexe for the weekend doesn't bother me to much but would like something without pop out bend ends so looking at a discovery or similiar.

Would like to know if others do it or not and what the feeling is?
I know we have alot of bunk models in the panda range but thought I would throw it out there and see who else does it????:yo:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have often thought the discovery 17.55-5SH would be a good model. bunks one end, double bed the other plus a shower/toilet.

Just needs a bigger dinette area and make top bunk permanent and I think it would be perfect.

My kids are too young to sleep in an annex area, though many times I would have loved to kick them out there during a tantrum:faint:

Maybe I could get a job designing vans for family's at Jayco, I don't think they cater for that market too well (in their pop tops that is).

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Maybe I could get a job designing vans for family's at Jayco, I don't think they cater for that market too well (in their pop tops that is).

i've enquired for the job,it's not on their books yet!!!

ozwrangler

Dec 9, 2011
Vincentia, NSW
We have the Expanda that is full caravan, 'expanda' dble bed @ 1 end, 2 bunks, dinette, shower-toilet.
Dinette can convert to bed, too (i think).

Preferred this to an annexe 4 kids as easier/ better in bad weather (wet ground) and for overnighters if enroute to elsewhere.

Seriously considered the kids in annexe option- so many more vans to choose from- but was compulsory extra to setup which we didn't want.
Also, not ideal for those road-side overnighters.

Depends on kid ages, too. Ours are 7 & 13, but boy and girl, so now bit old to share a bed as they did in a Jayco camper trailer couple of years ago.

legweak

Jul 14, 2011
New Beith, QLD
Idea is fine until it rains. Our old Flamingo's extended canvas annexe was nearly waterproof, but the carefree awning and vinyl walls on our Expanda is shocking. Leaks everywhere.

Legweak.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Oztent RV2 Tent We now have 2 ,one for each kid waterproof very quick to erect only downfall is they are 6 foot long when packed away so they need to go on the roof racks THe kids can stay in the Van for overnighters.

Krisjer

Dec 27, 2011
Perth, WA
Also had our two boys aged 8 and 5 in the annexe. Fine until the middle of the night when the rain started, was forever ending up with two little boys in the van with us squeezing into our beds..it got very damp out there, have just upgraded to the 1756.2 with the double bunks and fold out beds each end and now the prob is sorted. Agreed, it's hard to find vans to fit families where everyone fits!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Our first holiday with a hired Aussie Swag camper many years ago was interesting - it had an annex - we were at Byron Bay - it started bucketing down - in the middle of the night I checked the boys in the annex part to see them floating, sound asleep, on their air beds!

Lots of fun!!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Some interesting comments, I think the most important is that putting up the annexe becomes compulsory which makes it undesirable!!!!!

I have had two expanda's, a 16.49.2 and a 17.56.2 but to be honest I know want to move away from the pop out bed ends of the expanda.

Unfortunately it's hard to compromise with the room the 17.56.2 offered versus the discovery but not having the canvas bed ends is where we are headed.

Looks like we will take a serious look at the 17.55SH Discovery and have the kids up the front of the van in the bunks and have the annexe as a when I can be bothered moment.....

Thanks all for your comments!