Electrical Jayco wiring colour coding

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Hi,

I am trying to install an aftermarket led strip light for my awning and am trying to tap into an existing 12v line. I have found white and yellow wires and would like to know if anyone has the info as to what colours relate to what. Also on the off chance does anyone have a wiring diagram for the expanda? I have trolled forums but I think that no one will have this but never hurts to ask.

Thanks
Doug

Reactions: Jaycoman$1

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Hope the diagram with the flux capacitor is not the right one. o_O Seriously the diagram in that post is better than nothing. At least I can identify what the yellow and white wires are and possibly where they come from.

Thanks for the link.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Lucky with our Jurgens, all wires for 12v are single core black and red for van lights, standard multi core 240v for plugs and appliances and standard tail light colors for tail lights.

Makes it real easy. Black and red are always live. 240v and tail lights only live when their circuits are powered.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your best bet to ID the wire is to have a look at the outside light connection or the switch inside but run your meter over it as mine was wired up wrong.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi,

I am trying to install an aftermarket led strip light for my awning and am trying to tap into an existing 12v line. I have found white and yellow wires and would like to know if anyone has the info as to what colours relate to what. Also on the off chance does anyone have a wiring diagram for the expanda? I have trolled forums but I think that no one will have this but never hurts to ask.

Thanks
Doug

@Doug,

In all honesty, you will find that the final 12v wiring of your van will be down to the individual who put it in. The 240V will be done by a certified electrician, however, by all the posts on this and other forums, there is not a great deal of consistency (other than some of the crap installation and termination work) between vans.

Tips:
  • Get a multi-meter (it will be invaluable in the long-term)
  • If you are trying t work out which circuit things are on, pull one fuse at a time from the SETEC
  • Be careful and have plenty of are fuses!
  • I have not come across yellow wires in the van, but where 12v is concerned, I have a mixture of Blue/White, Black/White or Red/Black. Use the multimeter to work out what is the +ve and -ve.

This is the wiring diagram I put together when building out the van.

ROnEM's Wiring Diagram v3.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wish I'd kept going with the schematic I was doing as I upgraded our van but I sort of forgot about it, now need to test stuff when not sure, I hate the black/white set up it just goes against my training, I have to really be on the ball not to mistake Black for ground..............................

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Thanks all for your help with my issue. The white and yellow wires are running down the cavity past the switch for the outside light which happens to have 2 black wires presumably one from the light and the other to -ve. I will trace the power within the van this weekend as I already own a meter and I am a qualified Electronics Engineer.
Was hoping someone had the schematics to save tracing the individual wiring from the setec unit which evidently is hard to access. Rather painful process, maybe I will make up a schematic for people to use but this may not be sufficient for other owners as people are saying that most vans are differently wired.

Would have thought Jayco would have followed a certain wiring layout which would save the confusion and possibly extra unnecessary costs.

Thanks again.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
individual wiring from the setec unit which evidently is hard to access

@Doug,

I invested some time in breaking down the box Jayco build around the SETEC, then reassembled it so that all I have to do is undo 2 screws on the top to get the to all the wiring looms that connect to it.

Just start at the vent on the rear of the box that the SETEC is in and work your way in...

This was time well spent (on a wet weekend)

Be prepared for a "shock" though when you see how they have installed the 12v wiring.

Good Luck

Rohan

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On mine I just undo a couple of screws on the front of the Setec and pull it out, no dramas at all.